New album thread: "official" information. UPDATE: Diplo tweets about "hot" songs

Just got back from a Madonnathon! Ugh it was crazy. I got in the platform and performed GGW. :lmao: completely forgot it and now I'm bleeding from my knee (I still don't know how) ...crazy nights. Love Madonna.

Nice

And we are supposed to care what the haters think because? They're gonna hate and twist things about her regardless what she does so stop worrying about them. :newspaper:

THIS

Just got back from a Madonnathon! Ugh it was crazy. I got in the platform and performed GGW. :lmao: completely forgot it and now I'm bleeding from my knee (I still don't know how) ...crazy nights. Love Madonna.

:rotfl::sassy:

Rihanna albums don't sell particularly well, do they? She's hardly a threat. She releases a new album every 6 months!

Adele...well, her albums are shit. Absolute dog shit and she sells well.

Taylor Swift is dog shit. Sells well.

Longevity is such an ATRL/little monster/pre op teen who knows nothing about life and will never have sex' term. As someone said, longevity doesn't really happen on the album charts these days.

Yes I want M to sell millions and stay at #1 for weeks but ultimately I'm just happy for new music. If it flops, it flops. I'm just here for the music!

SEND PHOTO!!!!!!!!!

Guest Rachelle of London

Rihanna albums don't sell particularly well, do they? She's hardly a threat. She releases a new album every 6 months!

Longevity is such an ATRL/little monster/pre op teen who knows nothing about life and will never have sex' term. As someone said, longevity doesn't really happen on the album charts these days.

Yes I want M to sell millions and stay at #1 for weeks but ultimately I'm just happy for new music. If it flops, it flops. I'm just here for the music!

Rihanna albums do sell well. Her last album sold double the amount MDNA did in just a month. I wouldn't be so quick to write Rih off. Swift is only famous in the states really so she's not really a threat.

yeah riri sells pretty well. a lot of monsters or other fan bases try to write her off as a singles artist just like people write madonna off as irrelevant. its simply untrue. yet another way to diminish the artist.

(if you repeat a lie enough it becomes truth. that kind of thing.)

Guest Rachelle of London

yeah riri sells pretty well. a lot of monsters or other fan bases try to write her off as a singles artist just like people write madonna off as irrelevant. its simply untrue. yet another way to diminish the artist.

(if you repeat a lie enough it becomes truth. that kind of thing.)

Exactly. She's the opposite of singles artists. She has major lead singles but usually the other singles don't really have that much of an impact. Whereas her albums sell really well

:lol: love ya!

Guest ditaluver

awww i remember those days!!!!!!

the madonnathon in chicago once a month was always the best!

Rihanna albums do sell well. Her last album sold double the amount MDNA did in just a month. I wouldn't be so quick to write Rih off. Swift is only famous in the states really so she's not really a threat.

Comparing to an album by a 55-year-old with no radio hits and everything working against her is hardly a testament to whether someone sells albums or not. Of course Rihanna sell decently, but for someone who's racking up more #1's than Madonna and is on track to eclipse even Mariah, you'd think she'd be selling as much as Adele. Yes, album sales are down overall, but aside from Good Girl Gone Bad and maybe Loud (which didn't break 2m), she's not selling all that much. Three out of her last four albums barely crossed 1m. Not much more than Gaga's last album.

Honestly, I'd rather see a focus in Europe. You can't get much more exposure than the Super Bowl in America and she's done that. I want her to get back her massive European popularity. I think the U.S. is a lost cause at this point. The album will likely go gold, *maybe* platinum with holiday sales but that's all I am expecting in this climate. Maybe she'll release her album in September when Art for Freedom ends and she's still within the 2015 Grammy Awards eligibility window (not that she seems to care about the Grammy Awards).

the album will *not* go platinum, Gold would be great but not holding my breath!

no, she doesn't care about silly award deadline, it very likely the album will be pushed to 2015 release.

Rihanna's biggest hits are all featuring some other artists.. if not Eminem it's Drake if it's not Drake it's someone like Jay Z and if it's no hip hop artist is some popular DJ like Calvin Harris.

Diamonds didn't have no one else but it wasn't as big as We Found Love or even What's My Name?

Her latest chart success was Stay which guess what? Was another track featuring another artist.. Anyone remember her Guetta produced Right Now? Exactly.... Anybody should know she's never been consistent with her singles...

Rihanna is not so different from Gaga or Mariah in that respect.. she has tons of hits and many number ones but a lot of them are not solo offering which is kind of strange considering she wasn't around that long but they had already felt the need to pair her up with some other big names to raise her profile. It's happened with Mariah Carey as well... not even 4 years into her career she needed the help of Boyz II Men to achieve one of her biggest hits. It's all come down to hype just like in the case of Gaga... Let's hype up all these bitches and the world will believe how huge and big they are...

who is her market these days? will she try to target young or not or older demo?

i don't think any her later albums have lingered in the top 10 more than just few weeks or even just one.

i expect one week in top 5 and then out from top 10.

lets pray it sells more than recent flops Mariah, Gaga and Jlo.

Rihanna's biggest hits are all featuring some other artists.. if not Eminem it's Drake if it's not Drake it's someone like Jay Z and if it's no hip hop artist is some popular DJ like Calvin Harris.

Diamonds didn't have no one else but it wasn't as big as We Found Love or even What's My Name?

Her latest chart success was Stay which guess what? Was another track featuring another artist.. Anyone remember her Guetta produced Right Now? Exactly.... Anybody should know she's never been consistent with her singles...

Rihanna is not so different from Gaga or Mariah in that respect.. she has tons of hits and many number ones but a lot of them are not solo offering which is kind of strange considering she wasn't around that long but they had already felt the need to pair her up with some other big names to raise her profile. It's happened with Mariah Carey as well... not even 4 years into her career she needed the help of Boyz II Men to achieve one of her biggest hits. It's all come down to hype just like in the case of Gaga... Let's hype up all these bitches and the world will believe how huge and big they are...

Gaga needs Tony Bennet to have a hit.

Guest Rachelle of London

Comparing to an album by a 55-year-old with no radio hits and everything working against her is hardly a testament to whether someone sells albums or not. Of course Rihanna sell decently, but for someone who's racking up more #1's than Madonna and is on track to eclipse even Mariah, you'd think she'd be selling as much as Adele. Yes, album sales are down overall, but aside from Good Girl Gone Bad and maybe Loud (which didn't break 2m), she's not selling all that much. Three out of her last four albums barely crossed 1m. Not much more than Gaga's last album.

I was referring to worldwide sales, not just US sales loud sold 6 million, TTT nearly 5 million and Unapologetic is 3 million. To write Rihanna off like that is silly. If they release in the same month it will be a competition. Rihanna shifts loads in the first month, unapologetic sold 2 million in half of Nov and Dec. I think in the US Swift will thrash both of them

Why can't M fans just admit there are other successful artists out there. Jeez.

Rhianna is doing her thing and she is radio gold. I know sells decent in this market but I would think she would have sold more considering her radio presence. I think that is because Rhianna is more of a singles artist. her albums are vehicles to keep the singles coming, which sell a lot on their own too. She drops albums once a year and they all seem the same to me and ive given her a second look more than twice. I don't feel a connection to most of her songs. she will surpass Mariah in the #1 department, so expect a mimi breakdown....Rhianna is cool tho, I like her and support what she does. Katy Perry seems more like an albums artist. she seems more interested in the big picture career wise. I think she has a good opportunity to re-invent herself and freshen up her sound/image the way Madonna did...although K.Perry should get a little sharper when it comes to dancing.

speaking of oddly dancing white girls, Taylor Swift is cool. I like that her diary becomes her albums...you know she has gone through whatever it is she singing about on the song. I respect that.

you know what......

American Life (almost) featured Eminem

Me Against Music was a Britney collab

Hung Up sampled ABBA

4 Minutes was a JT collab

GMAYL featured Nicki and MIA

:roadrunner:

The launch of the lead single and completion of the album is taking too long. If she stopped wasting so much time posting embarrassing selfies on Instagram and opening those stupid gyms in third world countries we'd already have new music now. And I believe she's getting nowhere in the studio and getting a lot of dud tracks with all these deejays. She needs to work with real musicians instead of flavor of the month deejays who just push a few buttons on their computers.

you know what......

American Life (almost) featured Eminem

Me Against Music was a Britney collab

Hung Up sampled ABBA

4 Minutes was a JT collab

GMAYL featured Nicki and MIA

Are you a troll? lol

First Eminem is nowhere near in American Life... if you're referring to the Missy Elliot remix version well, that's nowhere in the album! Hung Up is using a sample.. like millions of other songs so i wouldn't classify it as a feature..

Of course, 4 Minutes and GMAYL have features but the point i was trying to make is Madonna resorted to collaborations only lately in her career.. even if you want to consider Me Against Music Madonna did it over 20 years after she started her career. Mariah Carey and Rihanna had immense popularity thanks to their duets and it should be noted they started to have those collaborations very soon in their career.

When you think of Madonna's biggest hits you just think of her but say you want to think of Rihanna's hits you also think of Drake or Eminem or Jay Z as they were featuring in those mega hits.

Edited by MeakMaker

Not really...Don't Stop The Music, Disturbia, Only Girl, S&M, Diamonds belong to her biggest hits too and there's no artist feautured. She's perfectly succesful on her own. Nowadays, artists release just much more 'featured' songs than back in the 80's and 90's. If you take a look at the whole current pop music scene and not just Rihanna, you'll see almost every solo artist collaborates with another artist at least once or twice by now, same for M too - it's just a common thing to do now.

As for others labelling her a singles artist, chelle said it all. Rihanna certainly is much more remembered for her singles than for specific albums, but the singles keep the albums going, so the albums sell well too. Kinda similar to M.

Rihanna IS a succesful artist all around and has yet to release an album which flopped. M will face huge competition. Agree though that Taylor will only be a competition in the US, she's not that big in Europe. Rihanna certainly is here though, same for Adele.

Don't Stop The Music, Disturbia, Only Girl, S&M are nowhere near her biggest hits though. Umbrella, We Found Love and Love The Way You Lie are her monster hits. The ones you mentioned were popular hits and they sold a lot but they're not on the same level of Umbrella or Love The Way You Lie..those are the hits that made her a huge popular artist.

I do agree with you that artists today have different possibilities but my point is people tend to give a lot of credit to artists like Rihanna as she's able to saturate the charts like a very few of her peers when i think she's only been very well managed by her record company.

I miss the days when the quality of the music determined chart success. Now it's like people are divided by whomever they want to be successful. I want to see more competition. Everything today seems to be like grabbing someone and going into a business and announcing , "okay everyone this is the ceo now." If you're chosen by a team to be successful and you're young you don't have to earn one thing today. If you're smart you just have to keep your act together and coast.

Interscope replaced its CEO and head of A&R last month. They are both young men under 40. I don't know if that could have any impact on Madonna and the new album but it's an interesting development.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/record-labels/6099404/john-janick-jimmy-iovine-interscope-geffen-am

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-john-ehmann-interscope-geffen-20140604-story.html

The launch of the lead single and completion of the album is taking too long. If she stopped wasting so much time posting embarrassing selfies on Instagram and opening those stupid gyms in third world countries we'd already have new music now. And I believe she's getting nowhere in the studio and getting a lot of dud tracks with all these deejays. She needs to work with real musicians instead of flavor of the month deejays who just push a few buttons on their computers.

.gif

gaga, go back to your plate. you're still fat.

Interscope replaced its CEO and head of A&R last month. They are both young men under 40. I don't know if that could have any impact on Madonna and the new album but it's an interesting development.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/record-labels/6099404/john-janick-jimmy-iovine-interscope-geffen-am

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-john-ehmann-interscope-geffen-20140604-story.html

Wow.