We need to talk about HARD CANDY

Had a feeling HC would be more popular in time because the album & songs fit very well in M discography. Sometimes it feels MDNA does not get much love as I expected, but as time goes on the album might be more valued by fans.

I had a hard time with HC on first listen too, it didn't feel like a Madonna album to me but it grew on me very quickly. I predicted in '06 that she would go down this route and I was very happy when she did. The only hump I have with it is the vocals (as someone else pointed out). Her voice doesn't shine on this record and it lacks that Madonna quality which is all over records like Confessions, MDNA, True Blue, LAP if you know what I mean, that girlish, pop sound that only she can do. She sounds a bit flat and uninspired on a couple of tracks. That aside when the record is good, it's GOOD. Give it 2 Me is amazing, as is Heartbeat (could of used a harder beat tho), Miles Away, Beat Goes On, She's Not Me (one of her best songs EVER (love that breakdown at the end) and Candy Shop.

It has a few songs that I don't care for (Voices, Dance 2Nite) but they are few and far between and like every Madonna record there are a few tracks that didn't make the cut THAT FUCKING SHOULD HAVE!!!! Here's looking at you Ring My Bell and Across The Sky and Infinity should have damn well been a B Side somewhere. Madonna needs to have a bit more fun with her releases and throw in some BSides, alternate versions and remixes here and there, MDNA was an obvious step in the right direction bar the fact that Beautiful Killer should have made the regular record in place of Superstar.

I love all the live versions immensely and Sticky and Sweet is by far one of her best tours. It well deserves all the success that it had. Her look for the promo was beautiful and her tour look was again by far one of her best. Love the long wavy blonde hair in all of its stages. I'd love it if someone could post a timeline of all her public appearances in 2008 so we can admire her beauty coz boy she was gorgeous that year.

A great album, very necessary and a great era. She held herself together very well considering what was going on behind the scenes for pretty much the entire era. She came out swinging and looked absolutely gorgeous whilst doing so.

I love you M

Guest bluejean

LOVE IT

I always loved it but as time has gone on I've fallen IN LOVE with it. Better than MDNA overall.

Love your write ups Isaacca!

I cbf writing that much but here's my thoughts:

Candy Shop

Fabulous, funky, raw and even better bareback. Sorry I mean LIVE.

4 Minutes

The lyrics sound abit silly in retrospect but a fun song. Gets stuck in your head!

Give It 2 Me

THE Madonna song of recent times. HOT HOT HOT. I love it!

Heartbeat

A cool track, really grew on me with the LIVE version.

Miles Away

Classic melody, a lovely little song. Love the Morgan Page remix as well.

She's Not Me

Amazing track, one of my all time faves and always good to play when bitches try and steal your thunder

Incredible

A nice song

Beat Goes On

Fuck yeah. A great track!

Dance 2night

A funky little tune, pretty good

Spanish Lesson

Not bad. Kinda meh really.

Devil Wouldn't Recognise You

But of a Timberlake B-side actually but LOVE the lyrics

Voices

Fabulous lyrics. Really like it and a great closer

I back Isaac with HC > COADF and MDNA. Both albums are good, hail them as masterpieces if you want. Confessions can sometimes feel so long, and towards the end become sleepy. Push anyone? How High too? Also some tracks are better live, like I Love New York and Future Lovers. With MDNA, it had strong spots and weak spots (Some Girls, the overrated Beautiful Killer), and can sometimes feel all over the place. With HC, the two production of T/T and Pharrell form a united cohesive sound that wraps the entire album. And as much as I dislike Voices, that was a great way to end the album.

I definitely agree that HC is more cohesive than MDNA, at least musically, but I disagree that T/T and Pharrell formed a united cohesive sound. Two different sounds is hardly a bad thing, but I just don't think they mesh very well because many of Pharrell's tracks are basically total disco throwbacks. For example, "She's Not Me" doesn't fit alongside "4 Minutes" or "Voices" AT ALL. Then again, "Dance 2Nite" has a post-disco sound that works with those Pharrell tracks. I just think overall it's two different albums trying to be one - a disco album and an urban/hip-hop album.

I definitely agree that HC is more cohesive than MDNA, at least musically, but I disagree that T/T and Pharrell formed a united cohesive sound. Two different sounds is hardly a bad thing, but I just don't think they mesh very well because many of Pharrell's tracks are basically total disco throwbacks. For example, "She's Not Me" doesn't fit alongside "4 Minutes" or "Voices" AT ALL. Then again, "Dance 2Nite" has a post-disco sound that works with those Pharrell tracks. I just think overall it's two different albums trying to be one - a disco album and an urban/hip-hop album.

I agree. Pharell tracks are very minimalistic and disco sound of the 70's. Timba is pure urban/pop/bass.

I dont know how most fans dont think it sounds like a madonna album. All her albums sound different, so in that regards, but not only, it's a perfect mafonna album I jst think that "that sound" is not one that most hard core fans were used to, very rythmic and funky.

This thread makes me smile.

I'm so touched by the kind words of my fellow M-Dolla loons. Weighing the positive & negative posts, it seems to me that Hard Candy is finally getting it's long overdue love :wow:

Dance 2Night is my song!! Also love Heartbeat and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You. It's not my favorite album as it's not my favorite music style, but I will always have fond memories of it because I was 16 or so and it was the one time Madonna was really big while I was in high school. They were playing her new music at school dances as opposed to just during the "80's section". :thumbsup:

I dont know how most fans dont think it sounds like a madonna album. All her albums sound different, so in that regards, but not only, it's a perfect mafonna album I jst think that "that sound" is not one that most hard core fans were used to, very rythmic and funky.

I agree. When has Madonna ever sounded like Madonna?

Hard Candy is artful, insightful, beautiful, fun, sad, energetic, and so much MORE. The album was made in a very difficult time in Madonna's life and that shows through in songs like Devil, Miles Away, and SNM. There's a certain "hardness" to the album to which is apparent in almost every track. There's a strong theme of getting up off your ASS and doing something.

Simply one of her best albums. It's honest and RAW, the way I like her.

The debut album and Like a Virgin had lots of r&b/funk elements

Yeah, totally agree. But by the time HC rolled around the fans had long forgotten it. They were used to the ROL, M, AL and COADF.

Hard Candy is the type of album I been waiting around since BS which is pretty funky.

I agree. When has Madonna ever sounded like Madonna?

Exactly, I can see that argument working with Michael Jackson. It perplexes me that loons are suprised that Madonna did something different lol it's to be expected.

I've always had a love/don't love relationship with HC. I love the Pharrell tracks, don't love the JT/Timbaland tracks.

I'm convinced that the divide isn't just song production/instrumentation, but the mixing.

6 years later the Demo Castellon mixed tracks just annoy me, especially Voices (which is a fantastic song).

Spike stent worked his usual sonic magic on the Pharrell tracks. Incredible and She's Not Me are probably my 2 most listened to songs.

The only song I really don't like at all is Dance 2nite.

AND...

GI2M should never be ommitted from a tour setlist again.

I don't find them that bad, but it does stand out when listening to the album from beginning to end. He did an even worse job with MDNA. What happened there?

I think the disappointment of MDNA has made quite a few fans, myself included, look back on Hard Candy and realise it's not a bad album at all. It's actually very enjoyable with lots of really solid songs and a coherent vision. And of course it would be very current if released today after Blurred Lines, Mirrors etc.

My biggest issue with HC is her voice (in most of the songs). Pharrell did a great job and Timbo did Ok mostly: the beats/music is great. Madonna's vocals on the other hand, ugh! It's like she was trying to sing in her LAV era voice again, mixed with those crow-ish sounds she does live sometimes.

This thread makes me smile.

I'm so touched by the kind words of my fellow M-Dolla loons. Weighing the positive & negative posts, it seems to me that Hard Candy is finally getting it's long overdue love :wow:

Same here! Mdolla is finally vindicated! 👏👍😎😄

I'm surprised MDNA is getting put down so much now. I remember there being a lot of positive feelings about it when it came out (sans the single choices).

I don't feel right comparing MDNA and HC...or any Madonna album for that matter. I mean, I get that it's gonna happen...but Madonna is such a unique artist in that every album is a new stage in her life, a new persona, a new sound/feel/visual/concept, etc... that comparisons don't make sense to me.

It's as if each album/tour/era exists in it's own universe.

I'm wondering if there will be a more positive MDNA discussion in a number of years (in some way). I think time definitely gives a us a different perspective on everything. It certainly has in regards to my feelings about HC.

I posted this in one of he old HC threads and a few people liked it:

Separates the timbo and the pharell tracks and it works so well. The HARD side is so MOODY and the CANDY side is so FUN. She's Not Me is a smashing tune but it just doesn't fit in anywhere on the candy side and breaks the flow, but by all means, Hey You can be replaced (for the record, hey you sounds better than I remembered especially at the end of such a fun album)

HARD

1. Animal

2. 4 minutes

3. Across the Sky

4. Dance 2night

5. Miles Away

6. Devil Wouldn't Recognise you

7. Voices (orchestral)

CANDY

1. Candy Shop

2. Give it 2 Me

3. Heartbeat

4. Beat Goes On

5. Spanish Lesson

6. Incredible

7. Hey You

Guest Rachelle of London

There is a strong correlation between people that dislike HC and not being able to dance. It's evident at the fan parties.

I don't think it's about the sound. I think some fans weren't happy with the quality of some songs. After so many albums full of incredible tracks, some felt that HC was a weaker effort. For me Hard Candy is like RIT. They aren't bad at all, but compared to other works they aren't as good.

But... is there any fan out there who doesn't love at least half of Hard Candy? I doubt it.

I posted this in one of he old HC threads and a few people liked it:

Separates the timbo and the pharell tracks and it works so well. The HARD side is so MOODY and the CANDY side is so FUN. She's Not Me is a smashing tune but it just doesn't fit in anywhere on the candy side and breaks the flow, but by all means, Hey You can be replaced (for the record, hey you sounds better than I remembered especially at the end of such a fun album)

HARD

1. Animal

2. 4 minutes

3. Across the Sky

4. Dance 2night

5. Miles Away

6. Devil Wouldn't Recognise you

7. Voices (orchestral)

CANDY

1. Candy Shop

2. Give it 2 Me

3. Heartbeat