March 31, 1994 - MADONNA vs. LETTERMAN ("You cannot beat me at this game.")

Mattress

She showed up on Letterman when Sandra was on in 1988. They mentioned the play she was in but it wasn't an in depth conversation about it.

Yeah but that appearance was not planned / announced. Only Sandra was the scheduled guest, on there to promote her own stuff! :-)

Bedtime Stories album was almost 6 months away. For Madonna to be the sole / main guest on a talkshow with nothing substantial to flog - it's definitely unusual (even back then)!

Guest bluejean

Reading that old message board was fascinating, her fans sound so conservative.

I LOVE this reference to her FLABBY ARMS :lmao:

From: DONDI <HOM42@SNYBUFVA.CS.SNYBUF.EDU> Subject: Dave I thought she was funny. She avoided many subjects. She didn't even talk about her new single, "I'll Remember." But I don't think she had to. She looked gorgeous. Except for when she raised her arms, you could see the flab jiggling.

Guest bluejean

Yeah but that appearance was not planned / announced. Only Sandra was the scheduled guest, on there to promote her own stuff! :-)

Bedtime Stories album was almost 6 months away. For Madonna to be the sole / main guest on a talkshow with nothing substantial to flog - it's definitely unusual (even back then)!

Although I can't necessarily provide specific examples I feel like its not that uncommon for celebrities to go on TV without something to promote. They do it to keep their profile up which is important in the celebrity world.

Although I suspect in this instance they invited her on there to help promote The Late Show if anything.

Guest Xanthium

I watched this the day it first aired. I was so shocked and angry at first. I came to love it eventually but thought she was fucking up her career.

Those people reacting in the mailing sound just like us now!!! XD

In 20 years, we'll think this era was iconic and not her "fucking up her career" (well forthose who believe that which i don't)

You know when Charles Grodin came on the following night he mentioned that he was talking to someone about Madonna's appearance and that person said he thought it was good thing. Charles said I won't say his name. Charles Grodin was "kinda" up in air about what he thought I think. I wish I knew who he was talking to. It's frustrates me that people actually "got" Madonna a lot and didn't bother to stick up for her. I don't know if this person didn't want to be named or if that was Charles Grodin simply keeping a conversation he had private. I just wish I knew who he was talking about.

Oh, not to be forgotten -- the follow-up appearance on Jay Leno a few weeks later:

Some might have called this damage control, but ... I thought it was pretty funny. (Is the "Debbie" at the beginning Debi Mazar?! Just put that together now!)

(On the VH1 special, they aired this, too, and Rosie said that it was meant to be another caricature, that neither one was "the real Madonna.")

Guest bluejean

I remember too we had the top 10 list she refused to read and screwed up. If anyone has that it might be worth posting.

Speaking on the mlvc board, are there archives anywhere? I used to have them saved but lost them :( anyone have them still?

I wish. mlvc.org use to have them, but I see that site is no longer active. and waybackmachine isn't very helpfully.

I was trying to go on their site a few months to begin scraping together a 20th anniv for Bedtime Stories, but the site went down! :(

I remember watching this when it first aired and wanting it not to end. I also thought for sure she'd still be there after the break. Sooo disappointed when she wasn't. I love this interview. It's a lot of fun. Watch it at least once a year.

I was thinking it would be highly interesting to know what she thinks about that appearance now. When she was on Letterman in 09, she said she made a fool of herself, so she obviously regretted it - but after the recent tour where she acted highly controversially and revealingly like she hadn't in a long time, I'm not sure she's still thinking the same.

My favourite part.

David: And the grocery bagger, you don't want to break his heart, do you?

Madonna: [shakes her head yes]

David: No, look at this [clock showing the time is 12:13] Look see? Hi how ya doing? Oh, ok, so.

Madonna: It's not really this late anyway, this is all a fantasy.

David: Right, but I mean when...

Madonna: We are living ahead of the time when it actually is.

David: Exactly, very heavy Madonna, thank you.

[laughing]

David: I don't know, I don't kn...

Madonna: Don't fuck with me Dave?

David: I know.

Madonna: Don't make me act a fool.

I LOVE HERRRRRRRR.