Discuss Madonna's promotional strategy (or lack of) here.

Watch her not perfoming again .... she will only focus on the tour ...

Would that be so terrible? Yes of course I'd like her to pull out all the stops and have another grand Confessions era Madonna Extravaganza, but if we get another fantastic tour in lieu of promo, I could most definitely live w/ that.

I want photoshoots though. GOOD ONES.

Would that be so terrible? Yes of course I'd like her to pull out all the stops and have another grand Confessions era Madonna Extravaganza, but if we get another fantastic tour in lieu of promo, I could most definitely live w/ that.

I want photoshoots though. GOOD ONES.

It would be nice ...for sure

I want a music, al, confessions timeline. Where the tour doesn't start until the following summer. Not 2-3 months after album release. I want her to do proper promo, have at least 3 proper videos out before tour kicks off.

I agree!If she releases the album in November,she would have plenty of time promote it,make videos,do TV appearances,etc before she begins tour rehearsals.

Madonna HAS TO PROMOTE with this album, we need a huge PR push.

I'm talking promo tours in the US, EUROPE AND JAPAN (like Confessions)

TV specials, a one hour Ellen sit down interview, award show performances, and magazine covers.

I DEMAND Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone and US Vogue!

Also at least 5 music videos and singles.

PREACH! :)

Regarding primo, I just wish for a little more coherence: if promoting the album is pointless, then releasing singles based on radio friendliness is even more so. I never understood her reasoning behind not releasing gang bang (she said radio wasn't going to play it... Yes, Madonna we know that, and?). Hopefully she will not sacrifice good material over potential mass appeal.

Please people, don't act like she's above the need for promo. Nobody is, and when she was at her peak of popularity she was everywhere, as she should be. This, of all times in her career, is not the time to take her foot off the gas and expect that a group of stans will keep her profitable forever no matter how little she does to engage them and the general public.

Well, I'd much rather she include Australia and Japan on her tour itinerary than fly all the way to Japan to appear on one television show there. I think the fans in those countries would agree. And, if she has tickets go on sale in those countries, there will guaranteed be press coverage.

She can do a one-hour press conference with international journalists in a room in California. I'm not saying she's "above" promo; I'm saying people really shouldn't say Madonna NEEDS anything. Because, if it weren't for her contract with Live Nation, she wouldn't NEED to do anything. She could retire comfortably and put her feet up. We all know that's not her style or personality, but multiple posts with capital letters acting like the sky is falling if she doesn't go on Ellen is a little silly. She went on Ellen during MDNA ... sometimes it's good to skip an outlet here and there -- makes it more appreciated when you return. (Not saying she SHOULD skip Ellen next time, just using that as an example.) And she was on Interview mag when she had nothing to promote (they just talked about W.E.), she was on Rolling Stone with a vintage Ritts photo ... she didn't really even have anything to promote the last time she was on Vanity Fair -- they were talking about being able to download Filth and Wisdom or something, and it didn't really happen that way. And she didn't have any product to promote for the recent Harper's Bazaar, either. (Yes, Art for Freedom, Secret Project Revolution, Bit Torrent...) But obviously her ability to snag major magazine covers is not a problem. She's keeping herself in the public eye.

There's no professional incentive. She's not some niche alt music band. Madonna has a rep to maintain. She needs global number one debuts.

No she doesn't. She has nothing to prove.

Melrose, you have asked if people here are true fans - people who have been massive fans for years. Now I am asking you why ( as a fan ) you continually bring up all of the negative views of non fans and media all the time. Do you want everyone to think that Madonna is a flop artist.

I would love to see Madonna do promotion because I love seeing her but I am finding your predictions of career suicide etc way over the top.

I also think that Madonna finally realizes that not only does the album have to be good and she has to have a strong first single but what's the point of working hard and releasing an album that you're proud of if you don't promote it and the casual fan doesn't even know it's out (MDNA anyone )?

This is exactly how I feel: what's the point in working hard on an album if you're not gonna promote it and give it the attention that it deserves? I remember being a little shocked at the lack of promotion for MDNA.

This is exactly how I feel: what's the point in working hard on an album if you're not gonna promote it and give it the attention that it deserves? I remember being a little shocked at the lack of promotion for MDNA.

She will promote, they didn't have the time to do it when MDNA came out

COAD had great promo, I'm hoping for something like that

Yes, promo is important but I doubt we'll have a ROL or COAD type of massive promo.

I'd love if she gets herself out there a bit more this time: key interviews (Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, Ellen) and magazine covers (Vanity Fair, Interview, Vogue) and maybe some appereances here and there. I'd be thrilled with that.

COAD had great promo, I'm hoping for something like that

Yeah,the promotion for COADF was fantastic.That's the last Madonna album that received the proper promotion.I hope she returns to that type of aggressive promotion.

The Superbowl was more so promo for the single, actually. Nearly 2 months had passed before the album was released.

I think that Madonna and Guy Oseary mistakenly assumed that the SuperBowl would be enough promotion for the album.As amazing as her performance was,it clearly wasn't enough.People have short attention spans.

Guest Rachelle of London

I think that Madonna and Guy Oseary mistakenly assumed that the SuperBowl would be enough promotion for the album.As amazing as her performance was,it clearly wasn't enough.People have short attention spans.

Well Madonna has stated that she didn't even want to do the Super Bowl, it was Guy that twisted her arm to do it. Imagine if we didn't even get that. I think the days of heavy promo is gone

Guest Rachelle of London

I think she knows her last two albums under performed and she'll do enough promo this time, I think she's aware now that promo is needed, she's a smart business woman, we will get promo this time

She did a lot of promo for HC.

Yeah, if I were to venture a guess I would say that she doesn't really consider Hard Candy a flop. And to be fair, yes, it did under-perform but "4 Minutes" was a massive hit. MDNA was a flop straight out of the bag and didn't have any hit singles. I am sure she's acutely aware of that.

She did a lot of promo for HC.

She promoted it in the beginning, and it did pay off, it sold almost 4 million copies

But then the tour started and they kind of abandoned everything

I remember being shocked to see Miles Away flopping in the UK, I thought it was a great song, but the live video didn't help the song at all in my opinion, if it had a cool video with a story line a la Papa Don't Preach, it could have been top 10, me thinks

Guest Rachelle of London

She promoted it in the beginning, and it did pay off, it sold almost 4 million copies

I remember being shocked to see Miles Away flopping in the UK, I thought it was a great song, but the live video didn't help the song at all in my opinion, if it had a cool video with a story line a la Papa Don't Preach, it could have been top 10, me thinks

Definitely. A great video Is a winning formula for M. Compare MA with celebration, Celebration wasn't even that good of a video but the song went top 3

It seemed like for Hard Candy the market had changed greatly from the Confessions era. Digital singles had taken over so a different approach was needed. Felt like Madonna and/or Warners were not ready for this. The Miles Away single release was a mess. Should have been released near her London S&S date. More than just 1 CD issued with her face on the cover and a few more mixes or unreleased tracks. The video fiasco didn't help.

While I would love that. Promotion costs money. There's no point doing such heavy promotion to sell a few extra thousand copies. Look at MDNAs rankings in the charts and compare it to artists that promoted. There's only a few thousand sales difference. I bet we'll get slightly more promo than MDNA this time but I wouldn't expect another Confessions type era promo though

for me the promotion is not to sell a few more copies....it would be pointless....but to attract casual people to her concerts in saturated markets....other than enjoy myself with all the promotion.....

You care way too much about what other people or the media think about Madonna. Which is ironic considering Madonna has never pandered to suit anyone. If you're looking for an artist that pries every news article written about her and prays that they haven't written a bad word I think you've got the wrong lady. Cos that sure isn't the Madonna we've all grown to love over the last 31 years.

Thank you!

Well, I'd much rather she include Australia and Japan on her tour itinerary than fly all the way to Japan to appear on one television show there. I think the fans in those countries would agree. And, if she has tickets go on sale in those countries, there will guaranteed be press coverage.

She can do a one-hour press conference with international journalists in a room in California. I'm not saying she's "above" promo; I'm saying people really shouldn't say Madonna NEEDS anything. Because, if it weren't for her contract with Live Nation, she wouldn't NEED to do anything. She could retire comfortably and put her feet up. We all know that's not her style or personality, but multiple posts with capital letters acting like the sky is falling if she doesn't go on Ellen is a little silly. She went on Ellen during MDNA ... sometimes it's good to skip an outlet here and there -- makes it more appreciated when you return. (Not saying she SHOULD skip Ellen next time, just using that as an example.) And she was on Interview mag when she had nothing to promote (they just talked about W.E.), she was on Rolling Stone with a vintage Ritts photo ... she didn't really even have anything to promote the last time she was on Vanity Fair -- they were talking about being able to download Filth and Wisdom or something, and it didn't really happen that way. And she didn't have any product to promote for the recent Harper's Bazaar, either. (Yes, Art for Freedom, Secret Project Revolution, Bit Torrent...) But obviously her ability to snag major magazine covers is not a problem. She's keeping herself in the public eye.

I agree, it's not about Madonna being "above" promo.

I remember a time when it really was just about the music. Everything they preach today about the way things "should" be they were. It is ironic. I mean they talk about an album or a song like it's an entry into a contest or kickoff even. In all the years of being a Madonna fan I don't remember it being like that. If she promotes the album because she wants to then that is wonderful.

Madonna will do a "decent" amount of promo, because unlike with MDNA, Madonna has nothing else coming out around the same time, so all her "promotional energies" will go towards the album

In retrospect I think I'll give Madonna a "pass" for not promoting MDNA enough, because a few months prior, she was EVERYWHERE promoting WE and she was probably just tired of doing interviews and she was also rehearsing for the Superbowl performance

A few major TV interviews and performances and a couple of major magazine shoots and some music videos is all were asking for and I think we'll get it.

I think Madonna probably realizes that MDNA was consudered a "flop" and Madonna ALWAYS wants to come out on top, and she'll prove the haters wrong yet again with this album

Remember before Confessions came out and everyone thought she was done then that album sold like crazy?

NEVER COUNT OUT MADONNA!

She doesn't do promo for the fans though. She does it to get exposure for the project she's working on, to recruit more fans. Her fans will buy her products without being on the cover of Vanity Fair. Madonnas personal wealth has nothing to do with making money for these projects. She has to earn money. She's bound by record contracts, touring agents, thousands of people that make their living working for or with her. Hardcore promotion is just not the thing to do anymore because record sales are so low. There just isn't much point. M and her team know that. She still sold 2 million records without any promotion. At this point in her career they just need to make sure they know how important the singles are and will entice more people to buy her album, not appearing on Jimmy Kimmel

Couldn't have said it better!!