M.I.A. to Madonna

Narendra Sen

About an hour ago M.I.A. started posting some tweets with links from ESPN and NFL and I suppose it's something related to the Super Bowl 2012. I don't have the time and patience to read everything she posted, but one tweet caught my eye.

2rr2pm0.jpg

:lol:

I wonder what's it about.

Two years ago, M.I.A. took part in the Super Bowl halftime show headlined by Madonna and made introduced herself to a wider audience by flipping off the cameras. You probably haven’t given a great deal of thought to that brief bit of profanity in the years since, unless of course middle fingers on your TV cause your face to explode in outrage. In that case, I hope the face rebuilding process has gone smoothly.

Either way, the NFL has not forgotten this ghastly example of shield besmirching. The league has been spending the last two years seeking millions from the singer, claiming her act did irreparable harm to the good name of professional FOOTBAW. In fact, according to The Hollywood Reporter, the NFL recently increased its demands by, oh, $15 million.

M.I.A. wasn’t paid for the event as is the custom of the league. Nevertheless, the NFL spent the first two years of arbitration demanding $1.5 million for allegedly breaching her performance contract and tarnishing its goodwill and reputation.

Now the NFL has added an additional claim, seeking $15.1 million more in “restitution” as the alleged value of public exposure she received by appearing for an approximately two minute segment during Madonna’s performance. The figure is based on what advertisers would have paid for ads during this time. “The claim for restitution lacks any basis in law, fact, or logic,” say M.I.A.’s response papers, filed on Friday.

M.I.A.’s attorney has been fighting the claim by filing arbitration papers that detail some of the less than wholesome history of the hallowed institution that is the Super Bowl halftime show, including the time they made it look like Prince was stroking his guitar as if it were a big, musical dong.

To show that the NFL’s moral authority is somewhat less than absolute, M.I.A.’s attorney has also brought up a few other unfortunate things from recent NFL history that more closely pertain to the sport, including the Dolphins bullying scandal, the proposal the penalize uses of the N-word on the field, and that whole messy concussion lawsuit settlement that isn’t entirely resolved.

Should those tacks fail, the attorney, Howard King, is prepared to fault NBC for failing to use a five-second delay to prevent his client’s flipped bird from reaching the airwaves, which might make sense after the whole Janet Jackson scandal from a decade before. Either way, the fight rages on and the NFL won’t be satisfied until someone is made to pay for a performer subverting their precious halftime show with a little filth flarn filth.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/nfl-demands-166-million-mias-689017

Even Madonna at the 2012 Super Bowl is mentioned:

"The Show prominently features scenes of very young women dancers (possibly not even of adult age) poised in reclining positions, with their feet and hands and/or shoulders planted on the ground behind them. The women lewdly thrust their elevated pelvic areas in a manner unmistakably evocative of sexual acts (very probably qualifying as 'indecent' under the FCC definition), or at the very least, in a manner wholly consistent with the scenes a faire in a strip club."

:megamanson:

This is absolutely ridiculous.

FUCKING RIDICULOUS.

No other way to put it. The NFL are fucking idiots. They hire these big-name acts, many with controversial images already (especially the big acts where one knows what they're most likely going to do...HELLO...), and then expect them to do what....? Put on a show that Christian middle America can clap along to....

My guess is the NFL is full of conservative (straight) men that simply have an axe to grind with the rest of modern culture... all the while they willingly hire the biggest names in music to put on what is supposed to be the biggest show on earth, in the middle of their biggest game of the year, and expect them to sanitize themselves for the holy masses...

And yet, no one mentions the barrage of multimillion dollar advertisements that play throughout the game, are heavily touted as part of the 'experience', and are also full of "controversial"/sexual/misogynistic/violent imagery (and yet, they make no stink about that).

Never mind how inherently sexist, misogynistic, and homophobic the football culture and institution already is...

If they continue to make a stink about every damn artist THEY hire (particularly the FEMALE artists...coincidence I think not)...then they should stick to nothing but Christian rock bands...

,,,,and then pull their head out of their own asses.

i do hope M sends here a message of support so she knows it's not MIA & fans against the NFL and that she's not alone in this. it was still on M's show and M still asked her, so.. I like them both and hope they stay on good terms :)

Poor MIA. If MDNA and "Give me All Your Luvin'" weren't such flops she would have received some more $$$ from royalties I suppose.

Hmm... I wonder if Madonna will respond to her privately. Obviously she will say nothing publicly.

Madonna herself more or less 'condemned' MIA didn't she? She said it was a bit of a silly thing on her part and there was no need for it; so I can't see her helping her out really. :(

I think obviously she's kidding anyway, she'll probably never give in. The whole thing is really ridiculous, 1.5 was bad enough but to say that she owes them 16.6 million dollars is stupid considering she was payed $500 to appear

Fascism. The big corporate evil masters are hell-bent on dictating the most efficient way to generate the biggest amount of dollars. And to this end they want to make an example out of a performer with relatively little clout. Not Beyonce, not Prince, not Madonna….but M.I.A.

Yeah, showing her middle finger was silly/childish, but Contract or not, this whole bleeping of words, covering up of gestures and nipples and turning away the camera from gay kisses…..THAT stuff, the (self-) censorship, THAT IS SCARY to me.

Fascism creeping its way in, ever deeper.