Let's Talk Album Cover

i would love her to work with Testino again on something quite fresh and natural like the ROL cover. but she seems to be so much into the heavily photoshopped stuff so i guess that is what we will get. anyway i know i will love it

i'd prefer a mid-body or full body shoot but something cool and different like the Erotica cover would be appreciated

I don't think that's completely out of the question, really, considering she's obviously still on good terms with him and has been connected with him professionally again. I'm just SO curious about the book project they've said he's been working on for her. I hope it wasn't just something related to the fragrance which has long since passed and I just somehow missed it!

That said, I have a feeling it will just be Bianco again. Not sure who the photographer would be (toss up between Mert & Marcus and Klein, I would guess)... but I hope I'm wrong. Maybe she'll pull an AL and change it up. It's probably about time -- sorta fits the pattern. She did a couple albums with Fabien, then a couple albums with Reagan (plus a collection), then changed it up with M/M Paris. Now she's done three albums with Bianco (two with Klein photography, and one with Mert & Marcus photography). She changed things up with Celebration in between, but ... that was a little different, too, since it was the bookend on her time with Warner Bros.

yes fabien is very good.. not a big mert/marcus fan tbh.. :( (did they make the AL cover? i do like that one.. )

fabien is great with typography as well.. she needs someone with a strong graphic design team or a photographer who knows a lot about it.

:inlove::inlove: Amazing

Yes I agree, I loved everything about that Album, sahme she has not used more of the photo shoot pix she took!

See below re: the photo shoot pictures... The guns became problematic. I did like them, though, in their unaltered state. It is a bit of a shame they weren't seen more. Although they were in Q magazine, that was only in the UK, and I don't recall if they ended up in a U.S. publication. (I snagged an import copy of that Q issue, though!)

yes fabien is very good.. not a big mert/marcus fan tbh.. :( (did they make the AL cover? i do like that one.. )

fabien is great with typography as well.. she needs someone with a strong graphic design team or a photographer who knows a lot about it.

I agree about Fabien being very strong with typography. I notice that about his work, too.

Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott are a team of photographers. They shot the (very limited) POP magazine portfolio back in early 2002 (?) which then got used on the single for "Die Another Day." They didn't photograph Madonna again until the (fabulous) black and white portfolio for INTERVIEW magazine (cover of which is pictured above, in relations to discussion of Fabien Baron). And then they were tapped for all the MDNA album photography, and they directed the "Girl Gone Wild" video, which I believe was a first for them (a la Herb Ritts -- first music video direction).

As far as I know, Mert and Marcus are not graphic designers/artists... so ... they are not to be confused with the American Life album artwork, which was completed by M/M Paris (sometimes abbreviated as M/M). That was the only collaboration with M/M Paris (well, except for the "American Life" single artwork, I believe). Subsequent singles after the title track were handled by Kevin Reagan (and were shockingly sub-par for his previous work -- not to say that they are all bad -- there are qualities that can be appreciated -- but markedly less inspired than his Ray of Light, Music, and GHV2 work).

Also, important to note that M/M Paris was not responsible for the photography of the American Life album. All the photographs were shot by Craig McDean. (Reportedly a very expensive photo shoot -- probably because of photoshopping out all the guns later?) Craig McDean also did the Marlene Dietrich-inspired Vanity Fair shoot of 2003, outtakes of which also ended up in the ICON "Nobody Knows Me" book/publication.

Juergen Teller photography with M/M Paris art direction sounds amazing. I wouldn't mind Mert & Marcus again if the work was the caliber of their Pop and Interview shoots. Although their MDNA stuff had it's moments it was pretty disappointing compared to Pop and Interview. Hopefully she moves on from Giovanni Bianco. He has always gone overboard with photoshop; he basically turned the MDNA pics into digital paintings. Something more organic (a la Juergen Teller) would be a nice change of pace. Plus it would fit stylistically if she really does go with a viking theme for the artwork.

Juergen Teller photography with M/M Paris art direction sounds amazing. I wouldn't mind Mert & Marcus again if the work was the caliber of their Pop and Interview shoots. Although their MDNA stuff had it's moments it was pretty disappointing compared to Pop and Interview. Hopefully she moves on from Giovanni Bianco. He has always gone overboard with photoshop; he basically turned the MDNA pics into digital paintings. Something more organic (a la Juergen Teller) would be a nice change of pace. Plus it would fit stylistically if she really does go with a viking theme for the artwork.

nude-in-vogue-01juergen-teller-vogue-rus

Y E S! This is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. It would be something different for her, and especially after all those super glossy album covers. I do love glossy, but I also love the opposite.

As much as I love that photo shoot and think it's perfect for the title (maybe too perfect?), I would really like to see her do something more stripped down, a la ROL. Earthy, little makeup or hair styling. As hot as she looks these days, the over-the-top looks sort of age her. I think she would look more youthful and accessible without all that. I thought she was actually going in that direction for MDNA when the GMAYL cover dropped

As much as I love that photo shoot and think it's perfect for the title (maybe too perfect?), I would really like to see her do something more stripped down, a la ROL. Earthy, little makeup or hair styling. As hot as she looks these days, the over-the-top looks sort of age her. I think she would look more youthful and accessible without all that. I thought she was actually going in that direction for MDNA when the GMAYL cover dropped

+1

yes i totally agree this is what i want too. I did this artwork with "what we have" for now as new pics but i totally want something like you described above.