No other pop slag could come up with a song like this..

DIRTY PIG

Yeah, I recall Betts posting here (or someone purporting to be him, which there was no real reason to doubt). I think it was in the "Polls" section. Is that gone now?

Edit:

I can't recall what exactly he said; all I generally remember is that he was gracious and grateful for the fan love being expressed in the thread. I don't know what happened to the poll section -- it was a place where people could post immediately without having to have 200 posts or something to open up threads. But there were several threads about favorite tracks by one producer, or favorite producer. I remember there were some interesting discussions in those threads. I'm sure many of them were just simple polls, but a few of them had some discussion, too, not just people saying who they voted for. But I guess it wasn't visited as often by people once they passed the 200-post threshold or something.

I echo the "here, kitty, kitty, kitty" sentiments. I had an epiphany a few years back with that, too. I love that people are still discovering it, which is what makes appreciation threads like this so much fun. I do love this song -- I think it was one of my favorites when I finally heard the whole album 5 years after it's release.

Not to disagree completely with anyone, but when people say they would like Erotica better if it were all produced by Betts, it's a little difficult to agree... That would leave out Erotica, Deeper & Deeper, and Rain -- not to mention several other solid album tracks, just mentioning my own faves and massive/classic singles.

"Did You Do It" never really did anything for me, though ... even though it used "Waiting" as a foundation, it just doesn't grab me. Reading in Lucy O'Brien's book what Betts had to say about it certainly made me even more conflicted about it. (For those that haven't read, I'll paraphrase: Madonna had a meeting with some record executives, where several tracks were supposed to be played. When she asked Betts to play the song they'd been working on, which was supposed to be "Waiting," he instead played "Did You Do It." The suits looked shocked, because of the content of the song -- which I think Betts had described earlier as being a complete joke, not serious, and that Madonna had found funny at the time. But when the track had finished playing, he saw her reaction was not so humorous -- looked like she maybe had tears in her eyes and asked him to play her real song, which he then did. The crazy part then was that -- at the last minute -- she asked him for the track to put on her record, which he never thought she would want for the public to hear, based on that meeting. I don't know ... I'm probably messing up the story a little bit typing it up from memory. But that was the basic idea. Not sure if everyone knew that, but it was all news to me when I read Like an Icon. I always assumed the lyrical content was fabricated.)

That's one of the reasons that this Madonna forum is so vibrant: lots of fans "covering" different aspects of The Big M IN ONE PLACE. :inlove:

Exactly. The breadth and intelligence of M's oeuvre means that the calibre of fan is just as varied and intelligent. Everyone has different things to bring to the table, it's not just a chorus of lunatics screeching YASSS at everything that happens, or even just people who either like or dislike. Reactions to M's work, new and old, are so often very considered, nuanced and informed, yet also full of love and respect. It's a nice thing to be a part of.

sorry if I missed it anywhere in this thread. was it ever confirmed that this was the unofficial sequel to Justify My Love? It just sounds like it - thematically, sonically (the waiting for you spoken chorus reminds me so much of the JML -wanting needing waiting - now she's just WAITING)...

...no?

Whenever I listen to this song, I always imagine myself singing this infront of a crowd, while laying on the top of a piano, wearing a tux and smoking a cig.

i have tan skin too