Why is TUTBMP so ignored?

I think it's perfect for the movie as all of her soundtrack songs are. It's very low key and a little gloomy maybe. This was one of the songs that my non Madonna fans made a point of mentioning to me that they really liked. I should make a playlist of those songs brought up to me by my friends. Even through the 80's I seem to remember songs particulary loved by people not necessarily "fans."

I did love it but I had a difficult time believing that Madonna would feel that way about her past. I always got the feeling she wanted to move on from her past especially knowing of her personality at that time. Her songs about memories were usually sad and not about a fondness for a place up till that time. It might have opened her up to remembering how people enriched her life instead of just the sadness. I'll Remember I believe being one of them.

I like the song but as others have pointed out - thematically it's kind of anti-Madonna. She is so future-focused and ready to experiment and grow that the sentiments in the lyrics just don't fit. No doubt she has regrets and nostalgia like we all do, but I don't think it's the type of mindset she'd want to be communicating in her work. I CAN NEVER imagine her singing live the lyrics, "don´t hold on to the past...well...that´s to much to ask."

It represented the movie so well but not Madonna.

^ I see that point -- about the nostalgia of the song being foreign to most of Madonna's other work -- and I've voiced it myself often... however, I do see a context in which "don't hold on to the past / well, that's too much to ask" is consistent for her. I mean, the whole "I wish you were standing here with me" is very her! Playgrounds are places of joy for children. As a child, Madonna lost her mother. We know that there are many times Madonna wished she had her mother.

The song could easily be applied to other friends she'd lost along the way, including Martin Burgoyne. In a way, NYC of yesteryear was her 'playground' and it is forever gone for her now, because of the changes in the city itself, because of the changes in her life and the lives of others.

I know Madonna is able to be very philosophical about things, and say that she wouldn't be who she is today without the death of her mother, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have longings or sad feelings. This song just articulates those feelings so well, even if Madonna doesn't let those feelings override her tenacity to move forward or change her life choices to not dwell in the past.

^ I see that point -- about the nostalgia of the song being foreign to most of Madonna's other work -- and I've voiced it myself often... however, I do see a context in which "don't hold on to the past / well, that's too much to ask" is consistent for her. I mean, the whole "I wish you were standing here with me" is very her! Playgrounds are places of joy for children. As a child, Madonna lost her mother. We know that there are many times Madonna wished she had her mother.

The song could easily be applied to other friends she'd lost along the way, including Martin Burgoyne. In a way, NYC of yesteryear was her 'playground' and it is forever gone for her now, because of the changes in the city itself, because of the changes in her life and the lives of others.

I know Madonna is able to be very philosophical about things, and say that she wouldn't be who she is today without the death of her mother, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have longings or sad feelings. This song just articulates those feelings so well, even if Madonna doesn't let those feelings override her tenacity to move forward or change her life choices to not dwell in the past.

That's all very true too.