March 8, 1994 - "I'LL REMEMBER (Theme From With Honors)"

Mattress

No reason she can't perform it acoustically, like co-writer Richard Page in the above video. He flat-out said she improved what it was in its original form.

It's a lovely track, and will always be near and dear as it 's one of my Mom's favorite Madonna songs (she also loved With Honors). And it's very much become an ode to her for me.

Thanks for all the postings and memorabilia, Mattress.

20 years ago today, one of my favorite Madonna singles was released, "I'll Remember" b/w "Secret Garden".

"I'll Remember" is one of Madonna's biggest chart hits. It spent 26 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 with 4 of those weeks FRUSTRATINGLY stuck at #2 behind All-4-One's nauseating "I Swear". Every week it felt like it was going to push through to pole position yet never quite did. :(

It did however reach #1 on the adult contemporary chart.

Cannot believe it's 20 years already!!! I feel really old now :lol: And I was right there with ya on the frustration. Every week, I was just certain it was going to nudge that song out of the top spot. :(

The US maxi single is becoming collectible as it's quite hard to get hold of so goes for quite a healthy price.

Has anybody seen the film it's from?

Madonna doesn't seem to perform any of her real slow songs on tour. TUTBMP, TAB, BG, IR have never been performed on tour and you'll see only made a few appearances. I wonder if she thinks they slow a show down or they're hard to sing well?

Guest Sweet Tooth

This inside of the US CD maxi single was... unique.

Madonna+-+I+Remember+-+%28CD+Single%29+-

(The back credits this as "Design/Image Manipulation: Dirk Walter")

WOW never seen that one before *flop fan* lol. Thanks for sharing!

I own the Euro version of I'll Remember maxi and the 2-track U.S. single in that slim cardboard sleeve.

Guest Sweet Tooth

I'm joining the campaign for an IR performance on the next tour! :thumbsup: Such a beautiful song!

I doubt she'll sing IR. It's almost like a swan song imo.

It's the song that had everyone eating crow (at least in the US) that predicted that she would never have another substantial hit again after the SEX backlash.

I find that mid 90's is probably Madonna's most overlooked era. I can see why though, in a lot of ways, it was quite the wilderness for her. She was so dominant from 85-92, and the SEX backlash was really intense during 92-94. She needed to figure out who she was and what direction she wanted to go in throughout the mid-90's. It was some sort of growing pains that she and her career probably needed to go though. Obviously, that all culminated in ROL which rejuvenated her presence with the wider public again.

Strictly for the sake of nostalgia, I uploaded the MTV Premiere of the video from March 21, 1994:

Nothing mind-blowing, though this short clip manages to showcase my two favorite moments of the video...

1) The long shot of Madonna spinning from front to back as the platform she's standing on turns her to face the film screen.

and

2) The end when she gives the camera that piercing stare.

Enjoy. :lol:

Do you have these books??? I'm trying for years to find these, but I can't!

Yeah, I have the set of three. Bought them around the time they came out.

They're fun and very comprehensive though there is a bit of poorly translated French/English text and some goofs throughout.

Yeah, I have the set of three. Bought them around the time they came out.

I should have too. Now it's impossible to find! I even twitted the author, but he never answered. How rude.

The US maxi single is becoming collectible as it's quite hard to get hold of so goes for quite a healthy price.

It's those ballad 12" maxi's that are harder to come by as they barely sold, init? ("You'll See", "I'll Remember".)

I haven't seen them while out record hunting in decades.

UK 12" Maxi...

madonna-il-remember-single-12-pulgadas-u

Why in the hell did they cram three of the mixes on side B when they could have evenly distributed the tracks as was done for the US release?!

I do like that the international releases advertised The Girlie Show VHS along with the soundtrack on the back sleeve. :D