M working with Avicii, are you happy ?

M working with Avicii, are you happy or not ?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Now that we know officially she's working with Avicii for the new album, are you happy ? simple question poll !

• Yes !
    • No !
    • I don't know as i haven't heard a single note yet !

I just re-listened to Avicii's album. He's really much closer to Stuart Price than David Guetta or Calvin Harris, which is a good thing. I could imagine something like "Isaac" coming from him. I could also hear some Mirwais-type stuff with the guitars. But that begs the question: Why him and not Stuart or Mirwais? I guess we'll see.

Neither is true. They collaborated, along with several other people. If you remove Orbit from the situation, the songs likely would have been mostly adult contemporary ballads that, though melodically nice, would have probably been quite boring. Madonna agreed, which is why she didn't want Pat and Rick Nowels to produce the album. And yes, she gets credit for making that wise decision.

You're right. But, that's not the point I was trying to make.

I think it'll be interesting. It'll be a 2014 version of Mirwais' work and I think M will bring something fresh and exciting to Avicii's sound. Don't judge until you hear the music, people!

We must see it differently because to me MDNA was a flop, it went down the chart immediately and nobody talked about it again.

Let's not argue about it though, you don't think it flopped and I do, it's all cool ;)

It's all good, but what I'm saying is based on facts, what you are saying is based on your own feelings and perceptions. I don't care if it fell off of every chart on earth after one week.....it still outsold what many perceive to be "hit albums" from that same year. How I feel and whether my friends buy or talk about an album doesn't make it a hit or a flop, it's the facts, the "bottom line" that determines that. The Fun album, Some Nights was released a couple months before MDNA, it churned out 3 huge hit singles before the end of 2012, they did massive amounts of promo and that album only equalled MDNA's sales. Do you consider that album a flop as well?

I can't say I'm happy about her working with a DJ again. But I guess all she wants to do nowadays to record music to work out to.

Well, at best sale numbers are nothing but PR.

Sticky & Sweet Tour may be the highest grossing tour in history by a solo artist but that says nothing about the artistic quality of it. I say it's an artistic failure. Same with the albums. Sale numbers don't mean shit. Erotica was a commercial flop but it is one of the greatest artistic achievements in her career.

If I had energy I would argue that HC and MDNA were commercial flops but I'm not interested in getting into that fight. But I do say they both are artistically low points among her albums. I hope her upcoming album won't join them.

And just like Gutten, NOTHING you say is fact. It's all based on your opinion. Art is completely subjective. Just because you thought S&S was a low point doesn't make it a flop, just because I feel like Erotica was a step down musically from everything she had done at that point doesn't mean it was a flop. You will NEVER get everyone to agree on the artistic merits of a particular piece of work. To me a "flop" is a commercial failure, not something I personally don't like. You can argue all day and night about MDNA and HC but the facts are STILL what I pointed out in my initial response. From a business and commercial standpoint......and even a critical standpoint overall.....her last two albums were not flops.

Oh.....and I'm absolutely ECSTATIC she's back in the studio, no matter who she's working with. The people that are writing her off already are no better than her haters. I don't want to hear this "everyone has different opinions" bullshit. There is nothing to have an opinion on at this point except Aviciis solo albums. Nobody has a fucking clue what Madonna is going to bring to the table at this point. To write her off at this stage is basically saying you feel like her producers do all the work for her.....which is exactly what her haters have always said. Carry that shit back to Tribe or TOS where it'll be appreciated. We don't really give a fuck here thx anyways. :-)

Thank you. Off the bat, I can think of a couple of posters from Tribe who are also posting here, who drove out a number of members from that forum (including myself) because of their incessant negativity. They are hateful & I hope the mods don't allow them to spread their poison here as well. Don't be fooled by their occasional praise for Madonna.

As for the producers, you're right, everyone including her fans underestimate Madonna's contribution. What have Patrick Leonard,Steve Bray, Shep Pettibone, William Orbit, Mirwais, Stuart Price done that can equal their work with Madonna. Nothing. All of her collaborators have given Madonna high praise for her abilities as a songwriter & producer but it seems that most people including her most ardent fans still don't give her her due credit.

Guest Rachelle of London

Thank you. Off the bat, I can think of a couple of posters from Tribe who are also posting here, who drove out a number of members from that forum (including myself) because of their incessant negativity. They are hateful & I hope the mods don't allow them to spread their poison here as well. Don't be fooled by their occasional praise for Madonna.

As for the producers, you're right, everyone including her fans underestimate Madonna's contribution. What have Patrick Leonard,Steve Bray, Shep Pettibone, William Orbit, Mirwais, Stuart Price done that can equal their work with Madonna. Nothing. All of her collaborators have given Madonna high praise for her abilities as a songwriter & producer but it seems that most people including her most ardent fans still don't give her her due credit.

:clap: I always love your posts

People keep saying "Madonna is working with Avicii".

This is the wrong point of view. It's the other way around....Avicii IS WORKING WITH MADONNA.

People work with her. She calls the shots. Ray Of Light was a brilliant album because of Madonna, not William Orbit.

Give her a little more credit.

WRONG...

Without William Orbit ROL would have been a completely different album and not the masterpiece it is.

And as for MDNA, Madonna sounds like she worked with a bunch of producers and had very little personal input.

Up until that album I always imagined that M wrote all her own lyrics, but most of MDNA was written for her and now it makes me wonder how much this is the case with all her albums...

Guest Rachelle of London

WRONG...

Without William Orbit ROL would have been a completely different album and not the masterpiece it is.

And as for MDNA, Madonna sounds like she worked with a bunch of producers and had very little personal input.

Up until that album I always imagined that M wrote all her own lyrics, but most of MDNA was written for her and now it makes me wonder how much this is the case with all her albums...

Madonna has made records with countless people. Her work has been consistently amazing. The only common denominator is Madonna. It's not like she writes with the same people over and over.

Lori, thank-you. People don't realize just how special Madonnanation is. Negative posters have also completely taken over Madonnalicious as well. Constant negativity and criticism of everything Madonna does is depressing. It is beyond just giving an opinion, some people seem to actually dislike Madonna intently and seem to think she has no talent. They take over forums and drive positive people away because how long can you read post after post dismissing Madonna's talent, personality and career.

I see they are already posting their utter arrogance here now when it comes to her talent as a song-writer/producer.

Guest SecretGarden

I'm perplexed as to why any Madonna fan would be opposed to Madonna wanting to make "dance" music, each one of her albums has incorporated dance in some form or another; granted some more than others but the points still stands. From the synth pop of Lucky Star, to the deep house of Deeper and Deeper, to the trip hop techno of Ray of Light, to the massive bass of Hung Up. Madonna is a dance artist, she makes dance music (fused with other genres), she makes dance music videos and all her tours are highly choreographed.

Anyway, I'm glad it's Avicii she's working with and not Guetta or Solveig again, I could see Madonna doing something like this, only a bit more toned down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATx-17V9qjw

And just like Gutten, NOTHING you say is fact. It's all based on your opinion. Art is completely subjective. Just because you thought S&S was a low point doesn't make it a flop, just because I feel like Erotica was a step down musically from everything she had done at that point doesn't mean it was a flop. You will NEVER get everyone to agree on the artistic merits of a particular piece of work. To me a "flop" is a commercial failure, not something I personally don't like. You can argue all day and night about MDNA and HC but the facts are STILL what I pointed out in my initial response. From a business and commercial standpoint......and even a critical standpoint overall.....her last two albums were not flops.

But again, they are just sales numbers. They have no importance to me nor should they have any importance to anyone. Why should we care how much money Madonna makes out of her albums? It doesn't mean the product is good, does it? The sales numbers and charts are nothing but PR. We should concentrate on demanding the product to be good. Even if we don't talk about artistic quality, there's still evidence that quality control is failing. For example, MDNA Tour releases (which even Madonna commented on). But I'm not interested in that.

Besides, MDNA was wasn't even in top 20 when it comes to best selling albums of 2012. And the commercial success of albums today isn't really defined by the sales of the actual album but by the success of its singles. And the MDNA singles flopped. The HC singles besides 4M didn't do much better. But again, this doesn't matter to me. Whether her singles flop or not is irrelevant to me.

Also, the way you interpret the sales is also based on your own perceptions. You may think HC and MDNA did well commercially because that's how you choose to look at the numbers. I don't think the numbers are good when you look at the whole product which is albums and their singles. Those numbers wouldn't impress me if I cared about them. So what you write isn't entirely based just on facts but also on how you interpret them and how you choose to perceive them. And that's ok.

And yes, Sherlock, nothing I said was a fact (and I never said they were... I think responding with "that's just your opinion, not a fact" is one of the most boring responses nowadays in any forum but I digress...). Yes, art is subjective. That's not a big revelation. I don't need to convince anyone that the artistic quality of her work has gone down. The lyrics aren't as good as they used to be. The music videos aren't as good as they used to be. Not even the music or the production is as good as it used to be. I don't need to get anyone agree with me. Art is subjective, like I said that is true. But how have we as a whole come to value Salvador Dali, for example? Why do people consider Vertigo, for example, to be one of the greatest films of all-time? Why do people consider "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to be one of the best albums ever? Because enough people share the same opinion. Because enough people value those high. Because enough people respect them.

Metacritic is somewhat useful source for evaluating the quality of the album, for instance. HC scored 65 and MDNA 64. Not great although not bad either. But should that average score be good enough?

Also, Madonna's albums recently haven't gotten much respect outside her fans. And even among her fans the reaction to her albums and work in general as been mixed. Some fans blame other fans for those mixed reactions because it's easier to point the finger at someone like, well, me than it's to point at Madonna. But that is one way of evaluating the artistic success of an album. How much respect does it get from people who aren't fans? When Madonna does thins as well as she did with Ray of Light, she gets respect. Music and COADF got respect from outside her fans. HC? No. MDNA? No.

So while art is subjective and my opinion is just one. But there is also a thing called concensus. That doesn't work in the favor of HC nor MDNA.

EDIT: But we can agree to disagree about these things. I don't want to get dragged into a fight that lasts for pages. I don't want to wallow in negativity. I'm not interested that. It takes too much time and energy. I've shared my take on this (these issues?) and I'll leave it at that.

Edited by TheUnseenHand

WRONG...

Umm.. have you heard his work with britney? MADONNA is calling the shots. she along with patrick leonard are the real ground layers of that record. orbit just put his sound and flair to it.

listening to wake me up now.. it's really a beautiful track. Im in that mood of getting hopeful again. the good thing about him is (compared to other dance producers) is that he lets the instruments be vibrant through the music. especially the beautiful guitars.

I'm not sure about this collaboration...like with the collaboration with Martin Solveig I feel like M has hopped on a boat after it has already sailed. I would prefer for her to work with unknowns or more obscure producers, but hey, maybe we should just wait and see how the songs with Avicii turn out.

I must say his current sound of blending country with dance fits in very well with M's Music album era...in 2014 we've already seen quite a few references to this previous era such as the Grammys and the Miley Cyrus performances with M wearing her cowgirl garb. Let's hope the new stuff is a totally fresh take on her year in 2000.

Guest Rachelle of London

But again, they are just sales numbers. They have no importance to me nor should they have any importance to anyone. Why should we care how much money Madonna makes out of her albums? It doesn't mean the product is good, does it? The sales numbers and charts are nothing but PR. We should concentrate on demanding the product to be good. Even if we don't talk about artistic quality, there's still evidence that quality control is failing. For example, MDNA Tour releases (which even Madonna commented on). But I'm not interested in that.

Besides, MDNA was wasn't even in top 20 when it comes to best selling albums of 2012. And the commercial success of albums today isn't really defined by the sales of the actual album but by the success of its singles. And the MDNA singles flopped. The HC singles besides 4M didn't do much better. But again, this doesn't matter to me. Whether her singles flop or not is irrelevant to me.

Also, the way you interpret the sales is also based on your own perceptions. You may think HC and MDNA did well commercially because that's how you choose to look at the numbers. I don't think the numbers are good when you look at the whole product which is albums and their singles. Those numbers wouldn't impress me if I cared about them. So what you write isn't entirely based just on facts but also on how you interpret them and how you choose to perceive them. And that's ok.

And yes, Sherlock, nothing I said was a fact (and I never said they were... I think responding with "that's just your opinion, not a fact" is one of the most boring responses nowadays in any forum but I digress...). Yes, art is subjective. That's not a big revelation. I don't need to convince anyone that the artistic quality of her work has gone down. The lyrics aren't as good as they used to be. The music videos aren't as good as they used to be. Not even the music or the production is as good as it used to be. I don't need to get anyone agree with me. Art is subjective, like I said that is true. But how have we as a whole come to value Salvador Dali, for example? Why do people consider Vertigo, for example, to be one of the greatest films of all-time? Why do people consider "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to be one of the best albums ever? Because enough people share the same opinion. Because enough people value those high. Because enough people respect them.

Metacritic is somewhat useful source for evaluating the quality of the album, for instance. HC scored 65 and MDNA 64. Not great although not bad either. But should that average score be good enough?

Also, Madonna's albums recently haven't gotten much respect outside her fans. And even among her fans the reaction to her albums and work in general as been mixed. Some fans blame other fans for those mixed reactions because it's easier to point the finger at someone like, well, me than it's to point at Madonna. But that is one way of evaluating the artistic success of an album. How much respect does it get from people who aren't fans? When Madonna does thins as well as she did with Ray of Light, she gets respect. Music and COADF got respect from outside her fans. HC? No. MDNA? No.

So while art is subjective and my opinion is just one. But there is also a thing called concensus. That doesn't work in the favor of HC nor MDNA.

EDIT: But we can agree to disagree about these things. I don't want to get dragged into a fight that lasts for pages. I don't want to wallow in negativity. I'm not interested that. It takes too much time and energy. I've shared my take on this (these issues?) and I'll leave it at that.

:lmao:

I don't get what all these meltdowns are about

I could understand if we heard a clip or something and that disappointed us, but we got nothing to work with besides his past work, which is not with Madonna so lets wait and see what that brings us.

Something seems strange, especially when it comes to Madonna standards , she's never been one to announce publicly who she is working with for a new album, not so early in the process, in this case it's even before she enters the studio ! Also let's not forget that when she hires people to work on her albums they usually are not allowed to reveal it, well not before she gives them the green light and in that case it's Avicii himself who talked about the first almost 2 months ago. So this leads me to think that it's gonna be more like a song for his album, or a "off" single track, a kind buzz single (like many singers do now) to taste the water, to see if the public answers positively to the kind of sound, if it's a yes they can go this direction for the new album. After all i 've heard from different "sources" that this time she wasn't really sure of the direction she would take for that new album...

Something seems strange, especially when it comes to Madonna standards , she's never been one to announce publicly who she is working with for a new album, not so early in the process, in this case it's even before she enters the studio ! Also let's not forget that when she hires people to work on her albums they usually are not allowed to reveal it, well not before she gives them the green light and in that case it's Avicii himself who talked about the first almost 2 months ago. So this leads me to think that it's gonna be more like a song for his album, or a "off" single track, a kind buzz single (like many singers do now) to taste the water, to see if the public answers positively to the kind of sound, if it's a yes they can go this direction for the new album. After all i 've heard from different "sources" that this time she wasn't really sure of the direction she would take for that new album...

She has never had Instagram before, now she shares everything with us and I'm loving it, da da da da daaaaa :-)