What a Shocker!

FreeMySoul

Haha. I think she wanted the song from Good Will Hunting to win, "Miss Misery". Elliott Smith (of Secret Project "Between the Bars" fame) wrote that song.

Back on the Madonna Oscar night topic....

Titantic was winning everything that night. Probably why M said it was shocker.

Guest Not4Pussies

Yes it was expected but Madonna said on the red carpet she wanted Elliot smith to win. So there was some shade.

Haha. I think she wanted the song from Good Will Hunting to win, "Miss Misery". Elliott Smith (of Secret Project "Between the Bars" fame) wrote that song.

Thank you for pointing that out, Nightshade. Call me simple, but I had no idea "Between the Bars" was an Elliott Smith song, even though I know who he is and have heard some of his music. Sad that he's gone.

Didn't just write it...

Recorded and performed it.

"of Secret Project fame" ??? - he was well famous before that!

(I think Nightshade just meant he'd be known to most Madonna fans by way of Secret Project...)

Maybe it was because ROL was stopped at #2 on the BB200 by the Titanic soundtrack? :think:

And Celine's "Let's Talk About Love".

These 2 albums were hogging at the top 2 position for weeks. Although ROL was #2 for 2 weeks, LTAL made it back to #2 on ROL's 3rd week (Fell to #4).

Plus, "Frozen "was No. 2 in an era where it was fortunate to get that high (when many airplay hits were not on the Hot 100, because of no commercial single)- Nos. 7 and 10 peaks on airplay and sales usually wouldn't result in a No. 2 Hot 100 peak.

Don't forget that Papa Ciccone enjoyed Celine Dion (though she wasn't a writer, therefore she didn't win that Oscar).

Did she get to present the award because the song she performed won the year prior. It did win, right?

That rule is only applied to the acting categories.

We're all talking about "Frozen" bot being Number 1 as if it's some worldwide thing. Sorry but America (or specifically the USA) is not the world. "Frozen" was Number 1 in the UK and countless other countries; and I'm sure in some 'worldwide chart' it was Number 1 for weeks. I doubt Madonna or anyone in her label lost any sleep over that.

And I don't think she was shading Ms Dion in the slightest. As was said earlier, it was an expected win for the song and Titanic was winning everything that night as well - so she was just playing on that.

We're all talking about "Frozen" bot being Number 1 as if it's some worldwide thing. Sorry but America (or specifically the USA) is not the world. "Frozen" was Number 1 in the UK and countless other countries; and I'm sure in some 'worldwide chart' it was Number 1 for weeks. I doubt Madonna or anyone in her label lost any sleep over that.

And I don't think she was shading Ms Dion in the slightest. As was said earlier, it was an expected win for the song and Titanic was winning everything that night as well - so she was just playing on that.

Agree entirely. It was a figure of speech that people are reading far too much into.

Guest Rachelle of London

Thank you! I'm fed up of people saying that M hasnt had a number one since 2000! Its confusing as hell and just wrong!

I agree completely with you! But in this case, Frozen was indeed #2 (for 12 weeks) on the Global Chart.

I remember being very young, maybe 12 y.o. I stayed up all night to see Madonna at the Oscars, it was a big deal for me but it was well worth it

Right before the ceremony began people started to scream and one of the presenters said, people are screaming because Madonna has just arrived, I was so impressed by that

#realfan

I remember being very young, maybe 12 y.o. I stayed up all night to see Madonna at the Oscars, it was a big deal for me but it was well worth it

Right before the ceremony began people started to scream and one of the presenters said, people are screaming because Madonna has just arrived, I was so impressed by that

#realfan

:wow: