Why do we hate her guitar?

drunkbysix

I was thinking about this, but why don't people take her guitar playing seriously? Of course she's not as good as others, but I find her playing authentic to say the least. A lot of her fans, including a lot of you here seem to hate it. I think it's a great accessory. Why you guys don't like it?

where are these fans!? We need to talk! :catfight:

tumblr_n185koAdoX1ql5yr7o1_250.giftumblr_n185koAdoX1ql5yr7o3_250.gif

Love the guitar. Always have and always will.

(Didn't really love Borderline though or the fact that on Sticky and Sweet it felt like there was too much guitar jammed up in one section.)

On a side note,

Madonna can play just as good as someone like Lenny Kravitz, only difference is he focuses on more guitar licks (repeatedly) and Madonna does a few chords and focuses in everything else she has to do.

I'm not saying Lenny is a "great" guitarist but he does it prominently on stage and no one gives him shit for his somewhat "mediocre" guitar skills.

I love her on guitar especially in Drowned World (for the musical style of both the punk rock segment and the Spanish part) and Confessions (Paradise) and she utilized it best on MDNA.

Love her playing guitar, but during S & S (first leg) she went overboard with too much guitar playing & almost ruined the concert for me. Hung UP guitar version sounded pretty cool, but she wind up butchering one of her best dance singles. ROL during S & S was just ok, but it was disappointing because she repeated almost the same exact performance from Confessions.

Confessions & MDNA had a better balance with the amount of guitar playing in the show.

One of the main reasons I became a Madonna fan was for her dancing, so, out of the gate, the guitar was not welcomed. But lately, she's been getting more comfortable w/ it, I think, and is starting to dance a bit more (Olympia show she did a kick; thought it was adorable). Some of her actual guitar playing is downright grating and now, more and more, they're looping four bars of that monotonous guitar into her remixes and jamming the volume way up (I can't listen to the official remix of 'I Love New York" for that reason, a remix I otherwise love). This also ruined a Rauhofer remix for "Miles Away."

I suppose as she gets on in years, the guitar is here to stay for live shows, and I can understand that, though I would prefer to see low-impact but HIGH QUALITY choreo that was done so brilliantly in CT "Future Lovers."

Another issue I have w/ the guitar is from an interview when she first started using it saying she wished she had started earlier instead of paying hefty license fees to studio musicians all these years (I believe she mentioned something about LAP, don't quote me though). That kind of thinking irks me.. when money comes before quality of music. Bitch just pay the pros! You made more than enough money and those ppl worked hard on their craft. Plus, her singing does tend to be worse when she's playing the guitar; parts of Sticky & Sweet were utterly embarrassing.

Guest eroticerotic

i actually love her on guitar but wish she'd do more on it. She's been playing for 14 years I would want to see her do solos and more elaborate riffs! :)

Candy Perfume Girl - fucking incredible, amazing etc etc. The first time we saw her with a guitar and it was an amazing addition to the show and very iconic, the staging, the choreography everything 10/10.

I Deserve It - exactly the same, well staged and executed. Iconic, iconic, iconic. Perfect accessory and addition to the song.

Secret - Boring

La Isla Bonita - I'm divided on this. I miss the days where Madonna would stand at the front of the stage with just a mic, a stand and herself and just sing. I don't think she has done that since The Girlie Show. Actually she has, Frozen 2004, amazing and powerful vocals.

Material Girl/Burning Up - Awful, boring, uninspired but what else can you do with those songs if you can't be bothered performing them as a big production like the other oldies like Vogue, Hanky Panky, Holiday etc.

Nothing Fails - Yeah I'll give her this one but only just. I feel like this performance and Secret from 2001, the guitar just takes away from the lyrics of the song and is a distraction. These songs are too obviously 'take a breather' songs when as I mentioned above, Madonna standing alone on stage with a mi would come across 100 x better and allow people to take in the amazing lyrics and her showmanship.

Intervention/Mother and Father - absolutely motherfucking incredible. My jaw dropped the first time I saw this on DVD. Beautiful vocals.

Ray of Light '06 - boring but at least they tried to make something of the song by adding screens and dances. Probably would have come across better if you were actually in the audience.

I love NY - Amazing, loved it and still do. She gives her everything in this performance.

Paradise - WOW WOW WOW, up there with Intervention/Mother and Father. Beautiful reinvention

Human Nature - Um, I never know what to say about this one. The performance itself is OK, bit over done with all the faux rock star posturing but I really like the reinvention of the song itself. The only thing I don't like is the position of this song on the setlist. It's a momentum killer, swap it with Vogue and you have a seamlessly flowing act 1.

Borderline - Rubbish, horrible vocals. This one is just like Burning Up/Material Girl from ReInvention, there aren't a lot of options with these oldies bar turning them into guitar breather songs. Once again would have been 100 x more effective if she had just sung it to the fans at the end of the catwalk and used the nostalgia of the song to make the impact.

You Must Love Me - beautiful, perfectly done, not forced or boring like many of her other guitar songs.

Hung Up - I've always loved this, this rendition of the song really rocks on big speakers and I think it's really well done. No doubt the preference would have been to perform it as the pumping disco anthem that it is with all the dancers and some new choreography. DEspite the fact that I like it, I can admit that it's a lazy reinvention.

I Don't Give A - fantastic, love the screens, the darkness, Nicki's rap, the choreography etc, it's Human Nature's cousin for sure. This is how Madonna should perform her guitar songs, either stripped right back or brilliantly executed into an epicly staged high point in the show. Not lazy like Secret or Burning Up. Love how she lierally spits out the lyrics.

Turn Up The Radio - Same as above - PERFECT!

I'm a Sinner - Same as above - PERFECT! Love it! MDNA really is the tour to end all tours.

Another issue I have w/ the guitar is from an interview when she first started using it saying she wished she had started earlier instead of paying hefty license fees to studio musicians all these years (I believe she mentioned something about LAP, don't quote me though). That kind of thinking irks me.. when money comes before quality of music. Bitch just pay the pros! You made more than enough money and those ppl worked hard on their craft. Plus, her singing does tend to be worse when she's playing the guitar; parts of Sticky & Sweet were utterly embarrassing.

:rotfl: she was obviously being facetious..check the liner notes of her albums there are more co-writers on her recent albums than pre-guitar Madonna.

One of the main reasons I became a Madonna fan was for her dancing, so, out of the gate, the guitar was not welcomed. But lately, she's been getting more comfortable w/ it, I think, and is starting to dance a bit more (Olympia show she did a kick; thought it was adorable). Some of her actual guitar playing is downright grating and now, more and more, they're looping four bars of that monotonous guitar into her remixes and jamming the volume way up (I can't listen to the official remix of 'I Love New York" for that reason, a remix I otherwise love). This also ruined a Rauhofer remix for "Miles Away."

I suppose as she gets on in years, the guitar is here to stay for live shows, and I can understand that, though I would prefer to see low-impact but HIGH QUALITY choreo that was done so brilliantly in CT "Future Lovers."

I kinda thought money was the main issue for getting rid of the backing singers as well on her records. She hates paying for that crap. But I totally adore the backing singers on her records. I really miss that sound. The nicki and Donna sound especially.

I kinda thought money was the main issue for getting rid of the backing singers as well on her records. She hates paying for that crap. But I totally adore the backing singers on her records. I really miss that sound. The nicki and Donna sound especially.

Backing singers r very 'Last seen in 1987'...It's very Celine & Bryan Adams. But on modern pop records doing ur own harmonies is the way 2 go.

:rotfl: she was obviously being facetious..check the liner notes of her albums there are more co-writers on her recent albums than pre-guitar Madonna.

Some people really have no sense of humour. :lol:

Backing singers r very 'Last seen in 1987'...It's very Celine & Bryan Adams. But on modern pop records doing ur own harmonies is the way 2 go.

Yes I agree but having said that there are actually lots of vocal influence on her records. JT was basically support vocals for HC. AL featured a choir. Confessions had another singer on the record. Love spent featured a second voice. So...