Bay City Times Editorial on Madonna

XXL

Madonna's grandmother about M & Bay city in 2008 when M was inducted at the R&R hall of fame

Madonna's publicist did not respond to a request for an interview from The Times. But her grandmother, Elsie Fortin, said Madonna considers Bay City a special place from her past. She's just not sure if the feeling is mutual.

"I don't think she thought that Bay City liked her too well," Fortin said.

Bay City is our Betlehem

In a way it really is. :wow: I hope that the fans of bay city show how much they love her because she's an incredible artist and deserves a lot of live from all of her fans. I'm sure like most people Madonna has many feelings for the place she grew up (good or bad).

Interesting! Imagine not capitalizing on being the birthplace of the most famous woman in the world!? They should build a statue in the TOWN SQUARE. Just imagine the year round floral tributes from the pilgrims!

Guest whatatramp

I'm from Michigan and even I never think of the Bay City-Madonna connection. Her mother gave birth to her there sure, so it has the "Madonna was born here!" distinction .. but Madonna never lived there.

She grew up in Pontiac and then Rochester Hills (these are not near Bay City) and then in Ann Arbor for college before moving to NYC. Her formative years were mostly in Rochester.

And don't let the snarky media and such fool you - plenty of people from this area are proud that she's from Michigan! She might not wear it on her sleeve like some other Detroit artists do but that's OK. Besides, her family / Dad aren't in Detroit anymore. So she doesn't have a reason to be here regularly. Her dad's winery and stuff is nearly 5 hours north of this area.

(Speaking of the winery - you can easily see Tony and Joan there on any old day if you go lol. They live right on the property and are working every day. I've seen them at least 10 times. They're both really nice. You can even have your wedding there! They host events.)

We should all go! You guys can keep a look out whilst I go look for some memorabilia

Great thread XXL

Bay City is our Betlehem

Daniel, you are priceless. :laugh: Pretty true for Madonna fans though.

I'm from Michigan and even I never think of the Bay City-Madonna connection. Her mother gave birth to her there sure, so it has the "Madonna was born here!" distinction .. but Madonna never lived there.

She grew up in Pontiac and then Rochester Hills (these are not near Bay City) and then in Ann Arbor for college before moving to NYC. Her formative years were mostly in Rochester.

And don't let the snarky media and such fool you - plenty of people from this area are proud that she's from Michigan! She might not wear it on her sleeve like some other Detroit artists do but that's OK. Besides, her family / Dad aren't in Detroit anymore. So she doesn't have a reason to be here regularly. Her dad's winery and stuff is nearly 5 hours north of this area.

(Speaking of the winery - you can easily see Tony and Joan there on any old day if you go lol. They live right on the property and are working every day. I've seen them at least 10 times. They're both really nice. You can even have your wedding there! They host events.)

Love hearing the stories from our members from Michigan.

Interesting! Imagine not capitalizing on being the birthplace of the most famous woman in the world!? They should build a statue in the TOWN SQUARE. Just imagine the year round floral tributes from the pilgrims!

So true. I know for a fact if I ever go to the USA, one state I definitely would take the time to visit is Michigan. Bay City is mad not to take advantage of this. Like Kim says, Madonna is the most famous woman in the world. She is well known worldwide. Memphis has Graceland to cash in on Elvis, Liverpool the Beatles.- Bay city should celebrate Madonna. It would bring in a lot of world-wide tourists if they do it right.

The car brand Pontiac was named after the city. The city has been around longer.

Madonna preferred living in Pontiac compared to Rochester Hills (she mentioned this in one of her recent Art for Freedom interviews). Pontiac is more diverse and gritty than Rochester, which is an upper / middle class neighborhood.

Is Pontiac named after the brand,or the brand after the place?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac,_Michigan

According to Wikipedia, the car brand was named after the city Pontiac, Michigan.

Pontiac, Michigan was named after Chief Pontiac:

200px-Pontiac-chief-artist-impression-41

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Pontiac

Chief Pontiac: (c. 1720 – April 20, 1769) was an Ottawa leader who became famous for his role in Pontiac's War (1763–1766), an American Indian struggle against British military occupation of the Great Lakes region following the British victory in the French and Indian War.

Guest Rachelle of London

The car brand Pontiac was named after the city. The city has been around longer.

Madonna preferred living in Pontiac compared to Rochester Hills (she mentioned this in one of her recent Art for Freedom interviews). Pontiac is more diverse and gritty than Rochester, which is an upper / middle class neighborhood.

Christopher also stated in his book that they all hated the move to Rochester. That was also when their brothers started to get naughty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.freep.com/article/20140301/NEWS06/303010046/Bay-City-plan-for-Madonna-birthplace-sign-moves-ahead

City and civic leaders want to let visitors know that Bay City is crazy for Madonna.

Led by City Commissioner Christopher Girard, eight people met at City Hall this week to discuss plans to put up a sign that recognizes Bay City as the birthplace of the pop music icon.

The group opted to go with a basic green-and-white marker, with hopes of having it installed in the coming months. It would be placed near the intersection of West Thomas Street and South Euclid Avenue, welcoming visitors traveling into town off US-10.

“The goal of this Madonna sign is simply to get people into town,” Girard told The Bay City Times for a story Saturday.

Down the road, Girard said he hopes to install another landmark — possibly a statue — that would honor Madonna in Bay City.

“When people go to Wall Street in New York, what do they do? They get their picture with the big bull,” he said. “We need something in town that people want to come and see and take their picture in front of.”

Madonna, 55, is known for such hits as “Material Girl,” ”Like a Virgin,” ”Crazy For You,” ”Papa Don’t Preach” and “Vogue.” She grew up in Bay City and the Detroit suburb of Rochester Hills and entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008.

Girard introduced a resolution for a Madonna sign at a Bay City Commission meeting Feb. 17, and was met with unanimous support from his fellow commissioners. The resolution calls to have the sign paid for using private funds. So far, the group has raised $650.

The next step is to meet with the local Michigan Department of Transportation unit in Bay City to agree on the logistics of installing such a sign, said Girard, who hopes to have that meeting in the next two weeks.

LOVE that picture of the audience :rotfl: They look so…………….. EXCITED!

It's a great way to project a young and vital image of bay city.

Guest Sweet Tooth

LOVE that picture of the audience :rotfl: They look so…………….. EXCITED!

Their hiding their l-u-v for the Queen *hiccup* :s377:

• 6 months later...