IS MADONNA BIG IN LATIN AMERICA?

Samo

Not only loved. Here In Brazil she is respected as a true pop artist that influences music, fashion and social behaviour. All great brazilian composers and musicians are fans.

Edited by Humby

I think people in the US regard her as a living legend as well, they just feel that she should retire like the Stones.

No! She shouldn't! Many records have been broken for non significant singers nowadays - without any cultual impact - that makes impossible that Madonna retires. She always comes back with something groundbreaking!

Madonna was and still is the main bitch here in Argentina.

She is utterly respected as a legend of music and the last two tours everybody was trying to get their tickets

The first person who commented this video shaded M said Mimi & Celine have more talent.

Well, ask them to fill up the stadium since they are SO talented.

They can't even fill up an arena, let alone stadium.

There r a couple of tranny hookers here from Uruguay, Venezuela & Brazil, they literally started screaming

with excitement when I told them how many times I'd seen Madonna live, & when I made a compilation

album 4 Julia, who was going on a "work" holiday 2 Spain, she had tears in her eyes when she took the cd

& said 'Madonna is the Queen' & 'she supports los gays' :lol:

But I think she's pretty popular in China 2, when I was there everybody wanted 2 touch my SS ticket stub &

the were all 'oooh' & 'aaah' :D & they have these weird Madonna bootlegs in like grocery stores. I didn't even

c MJ stuff....that & the fact that the Chinese minister of culture asked her 2 bring the Girlie Show there in 1993

leads me 2 believe she's huge...

Guest Rachelle of London

Madonna is bigger than Ricky here , but Ricky at his peak was so big , did you take your pills , I ve never said that Ricky was bigger than Elvis , I said that Ricky is like Elvis here , he is so loved ..and relevant , by the way Madonna is bigger than Elvis here

Did I take my pills? Why are you being so rude for?

My god Ricky Martin stans are so touchy!

If you're going to insult someone at least make sure you use the right grammar.

Guest Rachelle of London

China's a weird one. My ex chinese housemates had never heard of Madonna. There's a generation of Chinese people that simply don't know who she is. She really needs to visit there on tour I think.

^ that's funny because my cousins wife is in her 20s from China and she goes on and on about how big Madonna is over there and that they sell her albums in suoermarkets and that she should tour over there.

Guest Rachelle of London

^^ I remember we had a thread about this once. My housemates seriously had no clue about her. I had the True blue album cover hanging up as a poster and they thought it was a picture of Marilyn Monroe. The only song they knew of Madonna was Celebration and that was because it was released when they lived over here.

Guest Rachelle of London

Wasn't she banned in a lot of places and people had to illegally listen to foreign radio stations?

Probably. That's why I said China's a tricky one.

^ you're roommates must have been really young, because I read ba k in the late 90s that Madonna was one of the most popular American artists in China along with MJ and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. (!)

Guest Rachelle of London

^ they were about 19 at the time. They would be about 21/22 now. I think we can all agree that there are markets where Madonna should visit as her music is very generational in some places. From what we came to gather in the China thread was that m is a lot more popular in south East Asia, and this forum has quite a few members from there.

Wait, there's actually people who don't know who Madonna is? For real?

And i'm not talking about people living in poverty in some crap country, i'm talking about people living normally. I just can't believe they wouldn't know who Madonna is. I mean i've heard about her my WHOLE LIFE and i live in some crap town in Belgium. I knew her name was legendary even before i knew her songs or anything!

I don't want to sound rude or anything, it's just that the idea of people not knowing her seem like science-fiction to me. Not knowing Madonna is like not knowing Elvis or MJ.

^ this happens in the US too. when i was at the univ i met two american college girls who were in Italy for 6 months and they had never heard of Madonna before and guess what? they were from Michigan :electropop:

it was during the Confessions' era and i was totally shocked. this is the very first time i tell this story to anyone as it embarasses me :lol:

i think maybe after moving to London especially during AL she was a bit negleted by the US media so many young people were not familiar with her.

^ this happens in the US too. when i was at the univ i met two american college girls who were in Italy for 6 months and they had never heard of Madonna before and guess what? they were from Michigan :electropop:

it was during the Confessions' era and i was totally shocked. this is the very first time i tell this story to anyone as it embarasses me :lol:

You're sure they weren't joking? :lmao:

Maybe it kind of feels as if she wasn't so popular because local acts are very much loved as well. Here in Mexico, for example, when you go to parties you mostly listen to music in Spanish, Madonna is more for the clubs. Even so, songs like Hung up and Music, and Give it 2 me believe it or not, did catch up in people's tastes and you could hear them a lot, even at teenagers parties.

Wait, there's actually people who don't know who Madonna is? For real?

And i'm not talking about people living in poverty in some crap country, i'm talking about people living normally. I just can't believe they wouldn't know who Madonna is. I mean i've heard about her my WHOLE LIFE and i live in some crap town in Belgium. I knew her name was legendary even before i knew her songs or anything!

I don't want to sound rude or anything, it's just that the idea of people not knowing her seem like science-fiction to me. Not knowing Madonna is like not knowing Elvis or MJ.

i agree! (same living conditions with me btw :p) heck i remember being 8-10 years old & going to my mom's job for a carnival event and there was this girl dressed like holiday/80s madonna and without being a fan or even interested in music I knew right away she challenged madonna! i always thought MJ and Madonna were married and the biggest of all from music or something. like no one could ever be bigger. i think i knew about Madonna before marilyn.

i don't believe for a second that people can NOT know about madonna (when they live in countries with normal living situations, as you said) it seems impossible to me! i already said this before but even my 90 year old grandfather & his friend were gossiping about madonna's kids a few months ago :lmao:

unless someone never watches tv or goes on the internet, or has any interest in music whatsoever and lives in a box, i don't think its possible not to know M.. at least above the age of 14. their parents must have done an awful job giving them information/culture/education/music/.. thats all i can say.

about latin america: i keep hearing she's HUGE there and never anything else other than that.. this is about brazil, colombia, argentina, mexico.. Latins love M ;) just like the italians do! it's unconditional love ;)

i agree! (same living conditions with me btw :p) heck i remember being 8-10 years old & going to my mom's job for a carnival event and there was this girl dressed like holiday/80s madonna and without being a fan or even interested in music I knew right away she challenged madonna! i always thought MJ and Madonna were married and the biggest of all from music or something. like no one could ever be bigger. i think i knew about Madonna before marilyn.

i don't believe for a second that people can NOT know about madonna (when they live in countries with normal living situations, as you said) it seems impossible to me! i already said this before but even my 90 year old grandfather & his friend were gossiping about madonna's kids a few months ago :lmao:

unless someone never watches tv or goes on the internet, or has any interest in music whatsoever and lives in a box, i don't think its possible not to know M.. at least above the age of 14. their parents must have done an awful job giving them information/culture/education/music/.. thats all i can say.

about latin america: i keep hearing she's HUGE there and never anything else other than that.. this is about brazil, colombia, argentina, mexico.. Latins love M ;) just like the italians do! it's unconditional love ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nikki love Italians are the REAL and ORIGINAL Latins :sassy:

yeah she is huge not only in South American but in South Europe too !

Nikki love Italians are the REAL and ORIGINAL Latins :sassy:

yeah she is huge not only in South American but in South Europe too !

i knew someone was gonna call me out on that after i posted that ;) i should have said latin america!

i wonder if she's bigger in italy than in spain, portugal, or even france.

Guest Rachelle of London

Well as parts of China was/is communist I don't think western pop stars are as big as they are in Europe.

Now an American not knowing who Madonna is seems surreal to me. Living in the UK Madonna has always been a well known name. Did things in the US really get that bad for M back then?

i knew someone was gonna call me out on that after i posted that ;) i should have said latin america!

i wonder if she's bigger in italy than in spain, portugal, or even france.

I think Italy is the country she's the biggest, after that is Brazil/Latin America.

Guest gang bang

Did I take my pills? Why are you being so rude for?

My god Ricky Martin stans are so touchy!

If you're going to insult someone at least make sure you use the right grammar.

rude , lol , Im not insulting you , yes, you need to take some pills , not only you are everywere on this fórum , you can t stand a simple joke , yes my grammar is not good,tell me can you write in Spanish .Im not a Ricky stan , Im not a Ricky fan , but I reconise that he is huge here , really why you are bringing Ricky here , its pointless..