Deeper and Deeper Number One smash

Shane

Hi, I found an old cassette (!) labeled Madonna stuff, and when I popped it into the player, what a trip down memory lane. Anyway, one of the things I taped was from Casey Kasem's Weekly Top 40, he does a big tribute to Madonna, who is taking over the number one slot that week with Deeper And Deeper! I know the song peaked at 7 on Billboard, so I guess the famous Casey Kasem countdowns all those years were not Billboard. Would he have been using the R&R chart that Rick Dees used? On another tape, he has I'll Remember spending its "fourth big week" at number one! These are the countdowns I listened to as a kid and teenager, and although Billboard was always the official list, it seems like Madonna did better on these charts.

:inlove::inlove: to D&D- the song and cutie SomeOStud ;*P. lol D&D most positively woulda been an instant, effortless US #1 if it was released as single #1 even w/ the somewhat gritty yet fab. and waaay less controversial, stone throwing at M lol Erotica video. Erotica the song, book and movie were the ONLY reasons it fckin didnt happen. 200% sure of this.

While not a 'game changing' song like Vogue, LAP etc..It was every bit as safe, super infectious, and tailor made for mainstream pop radio at that time (even more so than Katy Perry's Roar or any typical, CaCa or Rihanna song today) Obviously, M was 10000x more on fire in late '92 than Katy and Caca in late 2013 (during those first few weeks when Roar and GagGag's Applause first came out 'combined')! LOL

Hi, I found an old cassette (!) labeled Madonna stuff, and when I popped it into the player, what a trip down memory lane. Anyway, one of the things I taped was from Casey Kasem's Weekly Top 40, he does a big tribute to Madonna, who is taking over the number one slot that week with Deeper And Deeper! I know the song peaked at 7 on Billboard, so I guess the famous Casey Kasem countdowns all those years were not Billboard. Would he have been using the R&R chart that Rick Dees used? On another tape, he has I'll Remember spending its "fourth big week" at number one! These are the countdowns I listened to as a kid and teenager, and although Billboard was always the official list, it seems like Madonna did better on these charts.

Let's go to that parallel Universe right now!!!!

coraline.JPG

LOL. Well, I don't know how popular Casey Kasem's show was, but I assume it ran on lots of radio stations, which leads me to believe that lots of people at the time would have thought of Deeper and Deeper as a number one hit. Obviously chart fanatics would have known Billboard was the official industry chart in America, but not so sure about the common Joe. I am hoping someone can clarify what chart this would have been that Casey used for his show (I am guessing Radio & Records), and did Billboard's charts even get counted down on US radio during this era?

I have tapes after tape full of these countdowns. :lol: I spent my Sunday mornings as a teenager flipping from station to station, waiting to hear her position on their weekly charts. And of course, I taped it all. :lmao: This was especially true for I'll Remember, because I KNEW it was going to #1! :lol:

LOL. Well, I don't know how popular Casey Kasem's show was, but I assume it ran on lots of radio stations, which leads me to believe that lots of people at the time would have thought of Deeper and Deeper as a number one hit. Obviously chart fanatics would have known Billboard was the official industry chart in America, but not so sure about the common Joe. I am hoping someone can clarify what chart this would have been that Casey used for his show (I am guessing Radio & Records), and did Billboard's charts even get counted down on US radio during this era?

Yes by Shadow Stevens lol! One of the most forgotten (whatever happened to) 'stars/DJs' of all time. I believe he took over in the late 80s and wasn't 'bad' but Kasey in every way was 100x more iconic. Forgot 'why' (used to know) why was no longer on American Top 40 but he WAS the show. No one can ever come close to duplicating his legendary style mixed in w/ the suspense he provided prior to where songs ranked (this all waay before internet, or chart rankings leaking etc) It was ALL about waiting until Caseys weekly American Top 40 show on Saturday. =D I was very young but freakin' remember when he announced songs like 'Mickey' and 'Come On Eileen' first hitting #1!! lol Sooo long ago :(

Yes by Shadow Stevens lol! One of the most forgotten (whatever happened to) 'stars/DJs' of all time. I believe he took over in the late 80s and wasn't 'bad' but Kasey in every way was 100x more iconic. Forgot 'why' (used to know) why was no longer on American Top 40 but he WAS the show. No one can ever come close to duplicating his legendary style mixed in w/ the suspense he provided prior to where songs ranked (this all waay before internet, or chart rankings leaking etc) It was ALL about waiting until Caseys weekly American Top 40 show on Saturday. =D I was very young but freakin' remember when he announced songs like 'Mickey' and 'Come On Eileen' first hitting #1!! Sooo long ago :(

Thank you for this info!

Honestly Deeper and Deeper would have been n°1 if it was released as the first single. I think it was a great decision artistically to release Erotica as first single but not commercially.

Oh those were the times.

This totally make me run home and listen to the Deeper & Deeper maxi single very loud.

Guest Xanthium

When I was a teenager, I listened to Casey Kasem's radio show on Sundays. I totally was listening when D&D went #1 on his chart. I was so excited. I thought that meant the song was an official #1 but it wasn't until later on that I realized Billboard was the official chart. Good times though.

Casey Kasem's show was based solely on Top 40 airplay, and it was very, very similar to Billboard's Top 40 Airplay chart, where D&D peaked at #2 (for 3 weeks). IR peaked at #2 for three weeks on that chart as well. For whatever reason, she did slightly better on R&R's chart.

It was like the American Top40 that Ryan Seacrest does now. It was based on pop radio airplay and Deeper and Deeper hit no1 on pop airplay for sure. These are all her no1s: "Like a Virgin", "Material Girl", "Crazy for You", "Live to Tell", "Papa Don't Preach", "Open Your Heart", "Who's that Girl", "Like a Prayer", "Cherish", "Vogue", "Justify my Love", "This Used to be my Playground", "Deeper and Deeper", "I'll Remember", "Take a Bow".

Thank you for this info, Jasonakos, and for being so attractive. Yes, TUTBMP was another one I remember being number one for like a month on Casey's top 40. Fuck if a beautiful slow song like that would fly on the radio nowadays. I mean, it is a slow slow tempo.

Deeper and deeper is what made me buy the erotica album in spring of 93, it was my first M album and the start if my fandom.

Aw... :D

I was obsessed with "Deeper And Deeper" and remember being so excited tearing into the maxi single for the first time. Radio favored the fantastic (much shorter) David's Radio Edit version and at its peak you could hear it multiple times a day.

they played 'deeper and deeper' on heat radio (U.K.) today! i was shocked as i NEVER hear it British radio. they also played 'take a bow' and 'cherish' yesterday which is even more shocking!

it feels like some kind of undercover PR campaign to get the general public to remember some of madonna's many big but forgotten hits. usually i only ever hear the biggies like 'hung up' 'like a prayer' 'vogue' and 'into the groove' so it's really cool to hear some of her other 70 UK hits!

There were a handful of M singles from the 90s that had a popular run on radio and charted at a decent position, yet are forgotten by the general public. This is one of those songs. It's a highlight of Ms 90s career for me, and a track i tend to rank higher than Vogue and Frozen.

Radio & Records and Billboard compiled their mainstream-top-40--based charts similarly up through 1992 (and even then, there were differences- i.e. MG and Cherish hitting No. 1 on R&R's airplay chart, but not Billboard- they also hit No. 1 on Cashbox, as did EY). In late 1992, Billboard debuted its Top 40 Mainstream chart (which was spins-based, and not compiled via ranked radio playlists).

R&R became a spins-based chart (like Billboard's Top 40 Mainstream) either in late 1994 or early 1995.

Differences in tracking periods for the week, in conjunction with possibly a difference in stations, accounted for some of the discrepancies between the two.

Why isn't this in the charts forum? Because it's not as visited, I gather. :)

I remember D & D hitting the top ten in the US & the video regularly being shown on MTV. I admit I was very surprised when the follow up single (Bad Girl) barely made the US top 40. Up until Bad Girl, M appeared almost unstoppable with all her top ten hits since the early eighties. I believe even Rain only made it to number 14 on the US Billboard.

I remember D & D hitting the top ten in the US & the video regularly being shown on MTV. I admit I was very surprised when the follow up single (Bad Girl) barely made the US top 40. Up until Bad Girl, M appeared almost unstoppable with all her top ten hits since the early eighties. I believe even Rain only made it to number 14 on the US Billboard.

Yes, exactly. But Rain was considered a comeback of sorts after BG, and I think it helped pave the way for IR, Secret, and TAB. It was a top five hit on R&R, and although Billboard is official, I venture most people remember it as a huge radio smash.