Pussy Riot about M

Pressston

Where did I say that it was an easy ride for them? All I'm saying is, don't throw stones and accuse someone of being less of a fighter when your story isn't that genuine at all.

And besides, nothing's changed here since then if you wanna know. I guess I'm lucky 'cause I'm not a Russian citizen but even I have to deal with homophobia, racism and bigotry on a daily basis. If somebody really cared, they'd do something, you know. Boycott the Olympics, for example. What exactly are these girls trying to achieve? With her music and her charity work, M is actually saving lives. What are these girls doing? It's all a bit Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl to me. Funny and stupid and it shows our society for what it is, but what are the effects?

I know Russian, so i'll break it down to you all:

The interviewer talked about the concert in NYC in early February that the girls will be attending it and M will be introducing them and that she was proud of Pussy Riot as fellow freedom fighters.

The Interviewer: Can i ask them what they think of M (cut to M picture with the arms spread showing the FREE PUSSY RIOT tattoo). Do they believe that she's a freedom fighter like them?

Translator (what he has actually translated to them): What do you think of M and do you think (feel) she fights for freedom?

Pussy Riot Girl: That M fights for freedom?

Translator: Yes. What's your opinion on that?

Pussy Riot Girl: *hysterically laughing*

Interviewer: Let's hope M isn't watching. The interviewer brings up Sinead, bu the PR Girl cuts him off.

Pussy Riot Girl: Madonna is great (she repeats that twice), but what sets her and Sinead apart is that they deal with/ focus on religion issues and in the societies they live there's no such problem as Mr. Putin and accordingly (in their societies) there exist other issues, other institutions that try impose an authoritarian position and most often this concerns religion. M & Sinead very bravely tackle the comprehension of Religion.

Thank you :)

Thank you for this ;) That seems like a very fair reaction indeed. They probably shouldn't have laughed, but oh well. It's not that bad indeed if that's what they really said.

I know Russian, so i'll break it down to you all:

The interviewer talked about the concert in NYC in early February that the girls will be attending it and M will be introducing them and that she was proud of Pussy Riot as fellow freedom fighters.

The Interviewer: Can i ask them what they think of M (cut to M picture with the arms spread showing the FREE PUSSY RIOT tattoo). Do they believe that she's a freedom fighter like them?

Translator (what he has actually translated to them): What do you think of M and do you think (feel) she fights for freedom?

Pussy Riot Girl: That M fights for freedom?

Translator: Yes. What's your opinion on that?

Pussy Riot Girl: *hysterically laughing*

Interviewer: Let's hope M isn't watching. The interviewer brings up Sinead, bu the PR Girl cuts him off.

Pussy Riot Girl: Madonna is great (she repeats that twice), but what sets her and Sinead apart is that they deal with/ focus on religion issues and in the societies they live there's no such problem as Mr. Putin and accordingly (in their societies) there exist other issues, other institutions that try impose an authoritarian position and most often this concerns religion. M & Sinead very bravely tackle the comprehension of Religion.

They have their opinion and they are not going to hide it just to please Madonna or her fans.

Madonna I would think would be more confused by their opinion, not displeased. I'm harder on people than Madonna is so I am not confused by their opinion. I have a feeling Madonna would give people the benefit of the doubt more often then I would. The most important thing about opinions for me anyway, is where the opinion is coming from. What creates your opinion.

I'm not speaking directly to you but to anyone with an opinion.

Is someone's opinion of someone else based on how they look, where they are from, how much money they have in their bank account, how little money they have?

Madonna has spoken up about freedom of expression probaly longer than these women have been alive and it's pretty disrespectful and brazen to laugh and then inform people that Madonna's ok. Like they are the authority on what or who is ok.

Like I said it's not a big deal, its just interesting to know.

So according to this girls if you don't live in Russia you are not entitled to be a "freedom fighter" because you haven't experienced what they have been gone through. Let somebody remind this girls that regardless what they think of outsiders supporting "their" cause, only Madonna from all the artists in the world, risked imprisonment, was sued by the russian government and is banned from that country for the rest of her life. She can be considered a rich white straight woman for all i care but you can't simply disregard what she did for this girls and for "their" cause, if it wasn't for Madonna nobody would have given a fuck and they would probably still be in that cage. Madonna didn't ask for their sympathy, but at least the proper respect for the shit she went through is very much needed.

so it started with people saying they mocked madonna to having them praise madonna (and sinead) for what they did/ said about religion. interesting change. but yes they do seem a bit full of themselves with the "freedom fighter" comment. maybe it's the way they translated it to them.

so it started from people saying they mocked madonna to having them praise madonna (and sinead) for what they did/ said about religion. interesting change. but yes they do seem a bit full of themselves with the "freedom fighter" comment. maybe it's the way they translated it to them.

Having them praise Madonna (and sinead) for what they did/said about religion is not the point of what the interviewer was talking about, he specifically asked them about the "freedom fighter" thing and they clearly disregarded it, limiting Madonna on religion topic which is not what the "freedom fighter" is about, is much more than that, and among all the subjects it deals with it also deals with the freedom of speech topic that those girls faced in Russia. Its very naive for them to simply diminish Madonna on the religion topic and completely ignore the support for "their" cause while laughing at the interviewer face when he mentioned the "freedom fighter" thing.

Haven't seen the video but kinda always felt M used them for her cause so if they're mocking her or whatever to look cool i think it's ok, i don't think M gives a f**ck of what they think to be quite honest.

Having them praise Madonna (and sinead) for what they did/said about religion is not the point of what the interviewer was talking about, he specifically asked them about the "freedom fighter" thing and they clearly disregarded it, limiting Madonna on religion topic which is not what the "freedom fighter" is about, is much more than that, and among all the subjects it deals with it also deals with the freedom of speech topic that those girls faced in Russia. Its very naive for them to simply diminish Madonna on the religion topic and completely ignore the support for "their" cause while laughing at the interviewer face when he mentioned the "freedom fighter" thing.

Madonna definitely goes radical with freedom of speech etc. The disnigga thing is an example. Fuck all those who that it was wrong. They are repressed morons. She has the right to say whatever she wants. It doesn't have to be PC. She can wear ICP tshirts if she wants.

It wasn't bad at all. You guys read it all wrong IMHO and I think the main chic comes across with a bratty attitude. Always has from the beginning and she reacts with a condescending air to her. I don't think they dislike Madonna. I think they see her reality as complete polar opposites to theirs and that these women coming from fame from the USA to support them are a little bit uninformed on their own struggles with politics and religion and self-expression as it is different here than there.

It wasn't bad at all. You guys read it all wrong IMHO and I think the main chic comes across with a bratty attitude. Always has from the beginning and she reacts with a condescending air to her. I don't think they dislike Madonna. I think they see her reality as complete polar opposites to theirs and that these women coming from fame from the USA to support them are a little bit uninformed on their own struggles with politics and religion and self-expression as it is different here than there.

Fair well. Those bratty bitches can burn in Russia for all i care with their "struggles". Madonna didn't need to support them anyway, she already has too many problems to care for.

It doesn't seem like they were that negative about her. It seems like something might have gotten lost in the translation since they aren't native English speakers. In the New York Post today, it said that Madonna was going to have dinner with them before the concert in Brooklyn. That should be interesting.

@Stud haha my mistake xD

They dont have anything against her, but I dont get why they laughed so histerically, that was kinda rude, for god sake, from all celebrities Madonna supported them the most, show some respect

Edited by M_Sinner

The Western outcry about Pussy Riots trial in all probability lead directly to the decision to throw the book at them and jail them. It would have entailed a serious loss of face and look like Russia was capitulating to foreign media pressure if they had acquitted them.

As it happened, almost as soon as the media spotlight was off, the girls got released. Nothing to do with Madonna or anyone else, quite the opposite in fact.

Sorry if those facts don't fit the picture, but oh well.

They laughed bc Madonna is not a freedom fighter. I would've laughed at that part too. M needs to take that kind of talk about herself down a few pegs. Does she do good in the world? Yes. "Freedom Fighter??" ....lol.. that sounds like a gaga tweet.

They laughed bc Madonna is not a freedom fighter. I would've laughed at that part too. M needs to take that kind of talk about herself down a few pegs. Does she do good in the world? Yes. "Freedom Fighter??" ....lol.. that sounds like a gaga tweet.

Ban

freedom fighter
n.
One engaged in armed rebellion or resistance against an oppressive government.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

freedom fighter

n
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a militant revolutionary

It doesn't come across as bad as people are making it out to be (surprise, surprise) In all honestly, using the term "freedom fighter" in reference to Madonna is a bit of a stretch and eyeroll-inducing considering what real freedom fighters go through, specifically things like jail time, intimidation, torture and death. Pussy Riot was most likely taken aback by such a term being used to describe Madonna. Or they could have just been laughing at the term itself. I doubt they dislike Madonna.

Did no one continue watching when the announcer mentioned Sinead O'Connor? The response from the dark-haired girl was "Obviously, Madonna and Sinead O'Connor are very cool" and then outlined how the situations faced by Madonna and Sinead in Ireland and the US were very different to the one faced by them in Russia. She was responding to the notion of Madonna being a "freedom fighter" and probably sees her situation as being very different to Madonna's. After all, Madonna hasn't been locked up for expressing her opinions. Maybe if she'd been prepped a bit better, the girl would have avoided making it look like she was ungrateful to Madonna. If the interviewer had asked her if she was grateful for what Madonna had done for them, I'm sure he would have received an appropriate answer.

I don't defend ungratefulness but they're punks and anti-system, did you expect them to embrace the support of the richest woman in the music industry ?

There's a thing called freedom of expression which madonna fought for so there's that.

Madonna is freedom fighter.

And why are you blaming this on her? When did she call herself a freedom fighter or insinuate she was one?