Did Madonna throw MIA Under The Bus?

Sloane

Just got done reading this article (link below) about the 10th year anniversary of "Nipplegate," Janet Jackson's Superbowl performance with Justin Timberlake. It's argued that Timberlake threw her under the bus, and lied, to save his own skin (Her career was destroyed, he went on to win Grammy's).

A comment was left on the article that Madonna did the same thing to MIA.

Do you agree?

132889229910.jpg

From the Secreast interview:

Ryan Secreast also HAD to ask Madonna about ... British star M.I.A raising the middle finger during the "Give Me All Your Luvin'" rendition. And yes, Madonna was NOT happy about it. "I was really surprised. I didn’t know anything about it. I wasn’t happy about it. I understand it’s punk rock and everything, but to me there was such a feeling of love and good energy, and positivity it seemed negative. It’s such a teenager…irrelevant thing to do…there was such a feeling of love and unity there what was the point? It was just out of place."

The article about Nipplegate:

http://gawker.com/nipplegate-at-10-how-justin-won-superbowl-xxxviii-and-1511051968

u_USA_SUPER_BOWL__Janet_Jackson_und_Just

mia-finger.jpg

Guest bluejean

No. The difference is MIA did that off her own back and Madonna (apparently) didn't know she was going to do it. So Madonna didn't support her choice at all. Madonna knew she needed to play it safe at the Superbowl, that would have been very clear when she signed up. Only an idiot would play up after that Nipplegate incident.

she's like a more indie/experimental madonna to me. i love her. i just hope they both are on good terms. MIA showed some love by mentioning M in her book I heard.. i think she also complimented her on a recent radio interview. hope M still likes her. i didn't expect M to say what she said. but I can see that she was disappointed because they had such a good understanding with the NFL. M said everyone was so nice and really wanted to help her make a great show.. she talked about all the good energy.. i can imagine M had to promise over and over again to keep it.. "clean" to NFL.. and then MIA does that.. so i understand M's point of view

edit: i first said i was surprised she said that but then again.. if she showed support to MIA (kind of saying she's okay with the finger incident) the NFL probably would have given her a very hard time for it in the press as well.. so..

I don't think so; she was just peeved. Madonna appreciates a provocative moment, when it's planned and agreed upon. Maya secretly loathed the mainstream success Paper Planes brought her, so I know good & well she meant everything that finger symbolized. It was totally intentional. She'd probably do it again, preferably NOT during Madonna's PG-13 performance though. Unlike Janet's case, the incident didn't make her any more obscure/ underground than she already was.

Guest Rocco Papa

Janet has said that her red bra was supposed to stay on when Justin tore the piece off. I believe her, because she immidiately covered her breast. If she wanted people to see, I don't think she would've covered it right away.

janet-jackson-super-bowl-wardrobe-malfun

justin-timberlake-janet-jackson-ap.jpg?w

janet.jpg

As far as the M.I.A. thing is concerned, I think it's a completely different thing. That was clearly intentional, whereas Janet's situation was (in my opinion) an accident. I think Madonna had every right to be upset, especially considering she went out of her way to make sure nothing like that would happen in the first place (as she stated in interviews leading up to the performance).

Janet has said that her red bra was supposed to stay on when Justin tore the piece off. I believe her, because she immidiately covered her breast. If she wanted people to see, I don't think she would've covered it right away.

janet-jackson-super-bowl-wardrobe-malfun

justin-timberlake-janet-jackson-ap.jpg?w

janet.jpg

As far as the M.I.A. thing is concerned, I think it's a completely different thing. That was clearly intentional, whereas Janet's situation was (in my opinion) an accident. I think Madonna had every right to be upset, especially considering she went out of her way to make sure nothing like that would happen in the first place (as she stated in interviews leading up to the performance).

Really ? Just watch the piece in Justin's hand. It's the inside of the cup he ripped off. There's no red cup, it was just a piece of red fabric added on top of the removable leather piece. There never was a red bra.

Guest bluejean

I don't think so; she was just peeved. Madonna appreciates a provocative moment, when it's planned and agreed upon. Maya secretly loathed the mainstream success Paper Planes brought her, so I know good & well she meant everything that finger symbolized. It was totally intentional. She'd probably do it again, preferably NOT during Madonna's PG-13 performance though. Unlike Janet's case, the incident didn't make her any more obscure/ underground than she already was.

If she loathed mainstream success so much why did she agree to feature on a Madonna album AND perform at the Super Bowl. It doesn't get anymore mainstream than Madonna and the Super Bowl.

Guest bluejean

What I don't understand here about the nipple gate is: If Janet was wearing a bra, how would one of the cups just rip off? You can't just rip off half of a bra like that.

Because she was lying. What we don't know for sure is whether Justin knew about the stunt or not.

But then even to rip off part of her top and reveal a bra, that wouldn't really fit in with the lyric "gonna have you naked by the end of this song." I suspect Justin must have known about it too which makes him a low life to transfer all the blame onto Janet.

Really ? Just watch the piece in Justin's hand. It's the inside of the cup he ripped off. There's no red cup, it was just a piece of red fabric added on top of the removable leather piece. There never was a red bra.

ku-medium.jpg

I honestly think Janet wasn't involved and had no prior knowledge of the incident. She truly looked shocked and mortified. And this is saying a lot because I fucking hate the woman. BUT I have to admit something is very fishy. I wouldn't be shocked if JT and the wardrobe department wanted to play some sort of trick on her. We all know JT has a very immature sense of humor and loves playing pranks and what not. His reaction at the time of the incident and in the weeks after was very unsurprised and non-chalant. I don't think he/others involved knew what they were getting into though.

She does look honestly shocked, but there's so many things that are weird about it.

1. Justin doesn't look shocked or surprised at all.

2. Janet's nipple just happens to be decorated with a very elaborate piece

3. To have her breast exposed would go along with the lyrics, "gonna have you naked by the end of this song", making it appear purposeful

I honestly think Janet wasn't involved and had no prior knowledge of the incident. She truly looked shocked and mortified. And this is saying a lot because I fucking hate the woman. BUT I have to admit something is very fishy. I wouldn't be shocked if JT and the wardrobe department wanted to play some sort of trick on her. We all know JT has a very immature sense of humor and loves playing pranks and what not. His reaction at the time of the incident and in the weeks after was very unsurprised and non-chalant. I don't think he/others involved knew what they were getting into though.

So she's a dummy dressed by someone else. She does not even check her own bra ? Do you really believe that ? Watch the cup again, there never was a bra. The problem is not showing her nipple, the reaction was so silly, the problem was and still is (because it really turned me off Janet whom i liked) the lie. It's because she lied that the video was played on repeat and people had and still have debates about did she ? Or Did she not ? She should have stood by her decision and action like a grown person, she made the situation worst with the lie. I wanted her to say i'm sorry for the ones i offended but i did it on purpose and i did not know a female nipple was such a problem; we are too puritans and nipples are what fed all humans from the moment we were born not that wardrobe malfunction shit.

She does look honestly shocked, but there's so many things that are weird about it.

1. Justin doesn't look shocked or surprised at all.

2. Janet's nipple just happens to be decorated with a very elaborate piece

3. To have her breast exposed would go along with the lyrics, "gonna have you naked by the end of this song", making it appear purposeful

I agree with everything here BUT Janet's a freak and into that piercing/tattoo shit so I know that that piercing would've been there regardless. I honestly think they tried to pull a fast one on her. And believe I am NO Janet fan. I despise the woman but I think she was a victim here.

Guest Rocco Papa

As much as I love Janet, I don't think her career is in the state it's in right now because of the Super Bowl. "Damita Jo" was destined to flop after the Super Bowl, because it took away attention from the music. It was also not a very commercial album. I love it, but I can understand why it wasn't as commercially successful as her previous records.

The thing is, she had many chances since then to make a comeback. "20 Years Old" and "Discipline" were released afterwards. In my opinion, both albums are very weak. Especially when you compare them to her more successful albums. There were some good songs, but they just weren't good albums. With "Discipline," she was even allowed back on MTV again. She did a full episode of TRL and the album debuted at number 1. She did many interviews around that time and was never asked about the Super Bowl. It looked like a comeback was going to happen. However, it didn't.

These days, ANYONE can make a comeback. I think Janet just hasn't been creatively inspired like she was at her peak. That's why she's been M.I.A. lately (no pun intended). If she feels the same kind of inspiration that she felt during "Rhythm Nation," "janet.," and "Velvet Rope," then by all means, make another record. But if not, I think she's doing the right thing staying out of action.

I think Janet did it intentionally,

why is she shaking it with her head while Justin is taking that thing. And why is she wearing such a bra, when she did not intend to have taken it out...

And M.I.A as much as i love her (and i love her very much) is a contradiction. She wants to be rebellious but she's signed to Universal, she goes to the Superbowl, she duets with Madonna, she makes a baby with Bronfman Jr, a line with Versace....She wants it all (and she is right, we should all want it all) but it makes her a hypocrit.

I love MIA but I don't think Madonna threw her under the bus at all. For Madonna to perform at Superbowl, there were so many promises she had to make. Nicki Minaj commented on how much it was all rehearsed so MIA would have been aware of the strict rules.

Also, the "finger incident" then took on a life of it's own thanks to the over-reaction of the press and Superbowl officials. Hardly anyone would of noticed it at the time and it was annoying that then some idiots were talking about it like it was a major part of the performance. I also think Madonna was not too hard on MIA in the interview and I have heard Madonna praise her since. Personally, MIA's finger did not offend me at all but it was not the time or the place to do it.

Guest Rocco Papa

To be honest, I didn't even notice the middle-finger moment when I watched it the first time. None of my family did, either. I did notice the screen went fuzzy for a second, but it didn't look like they were censoring something. It looked more like a technical difficulty.