Billy Joel Makes Unfunny Madonna Joke

Guest ditaluver

^ I don't believe those poll results for a second, TMZ HATES Madonna with a vengeance and it's their website so they can easily manipulate the results

One of the interesting things I've noticed is that when I talk about Madonna to non fans, they almost always say that she can sing.

And these are non fans.

^ I bet if I went into work tomorrow and did a poll asking people if they think Madonna can sing, most would say yes.

Even people that think she's past it or should retire.

In fact in work a few months ago, I was talking about Madonna's voice to about co workers and I said some people say that she can't sing and all 6 of them looked at me astonished abd were like of course she can sing!

And they weren't even fans.

Harvey just said on TMZ that Billy Joel is better than M. I cannot believe that he doesn't like M. I mean he's gay.

Looks like TMZZZ are digging up their own little publicity storm, even if they may be reflecting public opinion lately. As much as she is criticized for manipulating the media, they and other tired stars a la Joel use her, it's the oldest trick in the book and like a little eco system.

Neither Bob Dylan nor Jagger can sing in fact they make Madonna sound like Streisand by comparison.

No one drags them because they're men and they sing rock music.

Also if Madonna were Black she wouldn't be getting dragged a lot either, because if a white artist were to criticize a Black artist people would say that it's racism.

But Madonna is fair game

I think, could be wrong but the general public who go to see M don't give a shit about TMZ or don't bother with crap media bullshit. Haters don't go to her shows anyways. FUCK THE HATERS! Remember she had the biggest tour! So she's gotta a lot of love from GP and Fans!

^ exactly and like I stated before if you did a poll of people in your life and if you asked them if Madonna could sing.

Most people would say yes.

I think only ONE person in my workplace, of the dozens that I talked about Madonna and her voice about has said that "she can't sing"

^^ Exactly. She puts bums on seats. Sorry but I don't see an artist thst I don't like. So M has plenty of people that still like her a lot!

Close this thread and not give these assholes attention. Please.

The thing that irritates me is that on Twitter and a lot of other places people are praising Billy for this unwarranted, unprovoked slam.

It's so ungentlemanly and shows no tact or grace.

If the shoe had been on the other foot and Madonna were to say something about another artist FOR NO REASON, people would be ripping her apart and rightfully ao.

Also as a Joel fan, he doesn't have the greatest voice himself

And Madonna does a lot of things that Joel doesn't, such as dance.

Also The Rolling Stones have almost been one of his music idola, fronted by Mick Jagger, who is renowned for not being able to sing.

A lot of blogs have picked up the story and even credible news outlets and one said that Billy was "stating the obvious", and that he "showed her" and his audience was "erupting with laughter".

Basically CELEBRATING the fact that a grown ass man was dissing a woman, whatever happened to gentlemanly matters?

And again Joel only has an average voice himself.

THIS.

For all the people here saying "well, he didn't mean it that way...it was a joke"... ok, sure, maybe it was just a joke in passing... BUT this is why it pisses us off... because the media takes it and turns it into a bully match. That is what I despise.

It's not put out there as "oh, Billy Joel makes Madonna joke"... it's put out there as blatant bashing and spreading of more bullshit.

What was supposedly just a "joke" is nothing more than food for the beast.

This is another example of what I have always found very odd. The people that go on and on about how Madonna can't sing aren't the best singers themselves. Billy Joel is hardly known as a technically great singer even at his height and his voice is even worse now. People like him, Boy George, Elton John are always going on about how Madonna can't sing, but from what I can see their singing could use a lot of improvement. You never hear technically perfect singers like Adele or Kelly Clarkson attacking Madonna's vocal talent.

I've always loved Billy and I really do think he meant it in a joking manner......I feel like I've heard of him attending several Madonna events over the years, including Don't Bungle The Jungle where she sang I Got You Babe with Sandra Bernhardt, so I do believe he's a fan. I've seen far worse comments on any Madonna forum. With that said, the media outlets who are reporting this as some sort of dis are the real assholes in the situation.

I agree with Melrose in that it's frustrating that Madonna gets slammed for her voice......meanwhile Dylan, Springsteen, Joel, Petty, Waters, Jagger etc etc etc.......NONE of them have spectacular voices and they never get any shit (not that they deserve to). I guess since Madonna isn't "rock and roll" then she MUST sing like Whitney or Celine to get her dues. Elton is seen as a vital touring act even now and his voice sounds like total shit these days compared to his younger self. My cousin saw him live in 2012 and she said it was the most boring show she's ever attended and that he sounded terrible.

*tumbleweed rolls through abandoned prairie town*

Just noticed Billy Joel laughing at M's joke during her R&R Hall of Fame induction acceptance speech in 2008. It's at the moment she says of manager Freddie DeMann: "He drove a Porsche".

This is another example of what I have always found very odd. The people that go on and on about how Madonna can't sing aren't the best singers themselves. Billy Joel is hardly known as a technically great singer even at his height and his voice is even worse now. People like him, Boy George, Elton John are always going on about how Madonna can't sing, but from what I can see their singing could use a lot of improvement. You never hear technically perfect singers like Adele or Kelly Clarkson attacking Madonna's vocal talent.

I agree with Melrose in that it's frustrating that Madonna gets slammed for her voice......meanwhile Dylan, Springsteen, Joel, Petty, Waters, Jagger etc etc etc.......NONE of them have spectacular voices and they never get any shit (not that they deserve to). I guess since Madonna isn't "rock and roll" then she MUST sing like Whitney or Celine to get her dues. Elton is seen as a vital touring act even now and his voice sounds like total shit these days compared to his younger self. My cousin saw him live in 2012 and she said it was the most boring show she's ever attended and that he sounded terrible.

All of this. Right here. Says it all.

Meanwhile Dylan, Springsteen, Joel, Petty, Waters, Jagger etc etc etc.......NONE of them have spectacular voices and they never get any shit (not that they deserve to). I guess since Madonna isn't "rock and roll" then she MUST sing like Whitney or Celine to get her dues.

Elton is seen as a vital touring act even now and his voice sounds like total shit these days compared to his younger self. My cousin saw him live in 2012 and she said it was the most boring show she's ever attended and that he sounded terrible.

Haha

Spot on!!!!!

I think a lot of the "criticism" aimed at Madonna is simply due to the fact that she's a woman and she's achieved a success vastly superior to many other male mainstream artists and she's achieved it on her own merits. No recording executive bought it for her. And what is grating to all of these people is the smoking evidence of all of the above and that is the fact that 30 years on she's still riding that success more than any other figure in the entertainment world, whether in film, music or other areas within the industry. One of the reasons Madonna is still professionally very much alive and kicking is exactly that she's the best at shrugging off criticism that is hiding ulterior motivations behind it (attention, envy etc etc)

I mean is it that difficult to read between the lines and see through some of the classic comments/criticism thrown at her?

Edith Piaf was seven inches high, always wore a modest black dress, and sang without stage sets or lights, and her voice roared above the wind, with the most incredible powers of communication. I’d like to see McDonna [Madonna] attempt that." Morrissey

As for Madonna, I always used to laugh at her running.

And now I run! I get why she always ran.

I wish I’d run when she did.

I wish I’d done all this 20 years ago.

I wish I’d gone running with Madonna when she asked me 20 years ago.

I used to say, ‘I only run when people chase me.’ But I get it now.

I like where I am now, but I do not have Madonna’s tenacity when it comes to my career — to have fought tooth and nail to be uber professional. That’s the difference; I’ve never been uber professional. Boy George

ChartOfTheDay_1404_Madonna_is_the_Worlds

And speaking of which, I was watching a recording of Bono & friends last tour (one that wasn't official material for release). His voice was quite off. I am sure nobody in the press picked up on that

I think a lot of the "criticism" aimed at Madonna is simply due to the fact that she's a woman and she's achieved a success vastly superior to many other male mainstream artists and she's achieved it on her own merits. No recording executive bought it for her. And what is grating to all of these people is the smoking evidence of all of the above and that is the fact that 30 years on she's still riding that success more than any other figure in the entertainment world, whether in film, music or other areas within the industry. One of the reasons Madonna is still professionally very much alive and kicking is exactly that she's the best at shrugging off criticism that is hiding ulterior motivations behind it (attention, envy etc etc)

I mean is it that difficult to read between the lines and see through some of the classic comments/criticism thrown at her?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The funny thing is Joel has said nice things about Madonna in the past and they even shared the same business manager at one time.

Him and his then wife, the model, saw her in Speed the Plow on Broadway and on the BA Tour

As for the Madonna joke, suppsrdly he's been saying that joke for years in his act, the difference is this time someone got it on their phone and the notorious Madonna hating TMZ are running wild with this story and twisting it to make it seem worse.

And then TMZ puts up this obviously rigged poll, since they hate Madonna so much.

When most people that I talk to regarding Madonna's voice and talents are highly complimentary towards her. Although I do hear a lot of "but she should retire lately".

Also have you ever noticed how straight men can be just as bitchy and catty with the zingers as gay men?

The funny thing is Joel has said nice things about Madonna in the past and they even shared the same business manager at one time

Are you talking about Bert Padell? :)