Better compilation: The Immaculate Collection or Celebration?

madonnasuperfan01

Guest Rocco Papa

I think this should've been the tracklist for GHV2:

First of all, it should've been called "The Second Coming." It would've fit the theme and been a great follow-up...

1. This Used To Be My Playground

2. Erotica (Radio Edit)

3. Deeper and Deeper (7" Edit)

4. Rain

5. Secret (Radio Edit)

6. Take A Bow (Edit)

7. Bedtime Stroy (Edit)

8. Human Nature

9. You'll See

10. Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Miami Mix Edit)

11. Frozen (Edit)

12. Ray of Light (Radio Edit)

13. The Power of Goodbye

14. Beautiful Stranger (William Orbit Radio Edit)

15. Music

16. Don't Tell Me

17. What It Feels Like For A Girl (Above & Beyond Remix Edit)

I don't think "Drowned World" needed to be on there. It's not a bad song, but other songs could've been included instead. It wasn't even released as a single in the US!

I actually love GHV2 aswell. All killer no filler! But yeah having no new tracks or even just one exclusive track makes it a total waste of time in the end.

But between TIC and Celebration, it's TIC hands down. Newly remixed and remastered, stunning photoshoot, 2 exclusive new tracks, boxset edition and 1 very controversial music video.

The only reason Celebration could be considered better is because it includes her more recent hits (ROL, Music, Hung Up, etc.) so it's a good investment for the casual buyer as these songs are ESSENTIALS! BUT The Immaculate Collection is iconic and the highest selling female compilation in history and yada yada ya. So I go with TIC for respect reasons!

I love my TIC cd and vinyl, i even like that Q sound. What amazes me about that compilation is that every song there is a classic.

GHV2 is not my thing. Random, weird, edits, don't like the cover either.

Celebration is beautiful, the only thing i don't like is the DVD: it seems a fake one you buy in Ebay.

The sad thing is who knows when we'll get an updated video collection with restored picture and sound. Even iTunes has lousy video quality. I'm not completely satisfied with Celebration, but I'll take whatever I can get at this point. They did after all include some songs that weren't previously released on dvd. :sad:

I'd love a proper video collection. I sold my DVD as I couldn't stand looking at it. The cover/artwork is abysmal. I can believe the sticker on the front says 'digitally restored', it should say 'digital ripped from YouTube' Plus it omits Nothing Really Matters and Drowned World yet includes Miles Away and the shamefully bad Who's That Girl.

Guest bluejean

First of all, it should've been called "The Second Coming." It would've fit the theme and been a great follow-up...

2. Erotica (Radio Edit)

4. Rain

5. Secret (Radio Edit)

6. Take A Bow (Edit)

7. Bedtime Stroy (Edit)

8. Human Nature

9. You'll See

11. Frozen (Edit)

13. The Power of Goodbye

15. Music

16. Don't Tell Me

I don't think "Drowned World" needed to be on there. It's not a bad song, but other songs could've been included instead. It wasn't even released as a single in the US!

Except you need I'll Remember in the place of Rain or The Power of Goodbye. Even though it's cheesy shit I'd also be inclined to include American Pie since it was a massive hit.

2. Erotica (Radio Edit)

4. Rain

5. Secret (Radio Edit)

6. Take A Bow (Edit)

7. Bedtime Stroy (Edit)

8. Human Nature

9. You'll See

11. Frozen (Edit)

13. The Power of Goodbye

15. Music

16. Don't Tell Me

THIS

THIS

Yep that would have been perfect mine is slightly similar...

01. This Used To Be My Playground [Edit]

02. Erotica [Radio Edit]

03. Deeper And Deeper [Edit]

04. Fever [Edit One]

05. Rain [Album Edit]

06. I'll Remember

07. Secret [Edit]

08. Human Nature [Video Edit]

09. Take A Bow [Edit]

10. You Must Love Me [single Version]

11. Frozen [Edit]

12. Ray Of Light

13. The Power Of Good-Bye

14. Beautiful Stranger

15. American Pie

16. Music

17. Don't Tell Me [Edit]

18. What It Feels Like For A Girl

That is my dream GHV2. I swapped Human Nature and Take A Bow around to make the balance of uptempo and ballads more even, put in Fever Edit One so the single mix got a place on an official release, lost Bedtime Story, even though its amazing... And think YMLM is a better representation of Evita, oh and American Pie is there because its amazing and was a massive hit.

The Immaculate Collection is a classic everyone should own. My only complaint is that GOD-AWFUL version of "Into The Groove". Shep Pettibone massacred that song with horrendous piano solo in it. Having the original on 'Celebration' is one of that albums saving graces. But back to TIC, Shep did a fantastic job with the rest of the songs. The album will always have magical memories for me. Madonna was the biggest star on the planet. Madonna was EVERYWHERE. 1990; amazing year.

This should have been Celebration

Disc One

01. Everybody (Album Edit)

02. Burning Up

03. Holiday (Album Edit)

04. Borderline (Album Edit)

05. Like A Virgin

06. Material Girl

07. Dress You Up

08. Crazy For You

09. Into The Groove

10. Live To Tell (Album Edit)

11. Papa Don't Preach

12. True Blue

13. Open Your Heart

14. Who's That Girl

15. Like A Prayer (7" Mix)

16. Express Yourself (7" Mix)

17. Cherish (7" Mix)

18. Keep It Together (7" Mix)

19. Vogue

Disc Two

01. Justify My Love

02. Erotica (Album Edit)

03. Deeper And Deeper

04. Rain (Album Edit)

05. Secret (Album Edit)

06. Take A Bow (Album Edit)

07. Human Nature (Video Mix)

08. You Must Love Me (Single Mix)

09. Frozen (Album Edit)

10. Ray Of Light

11. Beautiful Stranger (Album Edit)

12. Music

13. Don't Tell Me

14. Die Another Day

15. American Life

16. Hung Up

17. Sorry

18. 4 Minutes

19. Give It 2 Me

20. Celebration

GHV2 and Celebration both lose major points for blatantly exiling ballads, but of course I love all of her comps. Celebration would be perfection for me if Hollywood, Miles Away, or hell even one of Everybody or Burning Up was replaced by just ONE more ballad: TUTBMY, IR, or Rain, it doesn't matter. Having only CFY, LTT, TAB and Frozen on a career spanning double wide just does not accurately reflect.

Both are still ignoring Causing a Commotion.

The Immaculate Collection is a classic everyone should own. My only complaint is that GOD-AWFUL version of "Into The Groove". Shep Pettibone massacred that song with horrendous piano solo in it. Having the original on 'Celebration' is one of that albums saving graces. But back to TIC, Shep did a fantastic job with the rest of the songs. The album will always have magical memories for me. Madonna was the biggest star on the planet. Madonna was EVERYWHERE. 1990; amazing year.

How about Borderline with an entire verse edited out of the song?

I can't believe what I'm reading... Celebration is the best compilation by a long shot!

1. Lucky Star on Celebration is superior to the IC mix. The Celebration edit has louder guitars and extra lyrics at the end.

2. Everybody on Celebration (missing on IC) is has the 12" version ending missing on the the Madonna/The First Album (pre-remaster).

3. Borderline on Celebration is superior to the IC mix and has bonus sounds and echoes heard on the 12" version.

4. Celebration has more songs spanning 3 decades, which makes the listen even more interesting.

5. Revolver feat. Lil Wayne & Celebration are two great songs Madonna had fun performing on tour! Performances for Revolver & Celebration had Madonna try out lots of new stuff (dance-wise and stage-wise).

6. Celebration also includes Burning Up & Dress You Up (missing on IC).

I did notice a sound issue on Music but I can tell Erotica was fixed on a re-issue of Celebration. I own two editions and Erotica sounds like the Album Edit/GHV2 versions on the re-issue. The sound heard at the start of Express Yourself (in Celebration) is simply taken from one of the 12" mixes. Cherish on Celebration is different than the IC mix. Only 4 songs on Celebration (Vogue, Like A Virgin, Crazy For You, Open Your Heart) were taken from IC.

Edited by Arckangel

Well, TIC re-entered the Billboard 200 after the Grammys performance..

Why didn't people but Celebration?

Because this thread has infiltrated the general public's opinion. M-Nation now calls the shots. :stir: