Better compilation: The Immaculate Collection or Celebration?

madonnasuperfan01

Immaculate Collection . The whole concept of it and the Herb Ritts' photos . The Excitement when it came out was amazing .

Celebration was a mess.

I have to go with TIC for several reasons:

1. Even though she left off some huge hits, they were left off because there was no room. There's no excuse to leave off TUTBMP, IR, etc. in favor of "Hollywood" and "Miles Away."

2. Even though the edits are so short, at least some time, effort and thought was put into them, unlike the ones on Celebration. At as much as QSound bothers some people, it was cool and state of the art at the time.

3. The new songs (JML and RM) are among M's absolute best. The mediocre "Celebration" and the hideous "Revolver" are shit stains on her legacy.

4. Even though the package for Celebration was nice, TIC still kicks its ass. The previously unseen photos, the liner notes, the ACCURATE credits, lyrics to the new songs, everything. THE ROYAL BOX.

5. The video collection. Celebration looks crappy and eliminates one of her greatest videos, "Oh Father."

I DECLARE A WINNER:

1990-the-immaculate-collection.jpg

I agree fully!

I've always been surprised to hear some fans disapproval of the remix treatments of the songs on TIC. To me, hearing those versions of the songs at the time made me feel like it was a whole new album, and save for some glaring omissions, her whole career was adequately represented.

Celebration is, as a wise man once said, a retardation. Quality control flew out the window.

...and there was definite pull towards the 80's vs some of her best songs in the 00's

I agree entirely Ryan, right on!!

It was a shame for Warners to not follow the same formula for Celebration.

But in the end, Celebration wasn't meant for the fans. It's for casual listeners, new listeners. It was put out so that when Madonna performs on national live tv, it'll gain some sales. It's an insurance policy. A "go to" when someone wants to explore the music of Madonna.

Guest Rocco Papa

I still think they should've made a "Super Deluxe Edition" box set of Celebration. A big box with 4 or 5 CDs that included ALL or her singles. And maybe 2 or 3 DVDs that included ALL of her videos (with the uncensored Justify My Love thank you very much). I don't know why Warner couldn't put that together.

TIC is an absolute landmark of an album and came at a very special time in her career. Everything about it is perfect and the Q Sound production sounded amazing on big speakers at the time. The hits are just relentless, one after the other and also smartly hinted at her future direction.

Celebration for me is just deal breaker but it has it's highlights. Personally I'm a big fan of Celebration (the single) and even though the album version of Revolver is shit, we got the brilliant Guetta remix of it and a great maxi single. They also won a Grammy for that remix and deservedly so. Celebration also gave us Who's That Girl FINALLY on CD and it sounded fantastic in all it's glory.

The low points for me are s massive let down. The WTF Dress You Up intro, the Erotica fuck up, the fart noise at the start of Express Yourself that makes me jump out of my seat in fright every time it comes on my IPod. Miles Away shouldn't have been there (should have been I'll Remember) and where the fuck is Deeper and Deeper, one of her best dance songs ever. I adore Hollywood immensely but it wasn't a necessary inclusion for me, especially when the likes of DAD, You'll See and Sorry are left off. Lastly I could have probably forgiven most of this if the record had come in chronological order. It would have perfectly shown her growth as an artist and ended on a high with some of her biggest ever hits to bookend it Music, Don't Tell Me, Hung Up and 4 Minuts with Celebration to end it nicely. Lastly they could have put a photoshoot in the booklet. It didn't even have to be a new one just like TIC but a couple of unused shots from a recent shoot would have been lovely.

* Forgot to mention the album starts incredibly well with smash hit after smash, Vogue, Hung Up, Music, Vogue, 4 Minutes and Holiday before the oldies kick in.

TIC is an absolute landmark of an album and came at a very special time in her career. Everything about it is perfect and the Q Sound production sounded amazing on big speakers at the time. The hits are just relentless, one after the other and also smartly hinted at her future direction.

Celebration for me is just deal breaker but it has it's highlights. Personally I'm a big fan of Celebration (the single) and even though the album version of Revolver is shit, we got the brilliant Guetta remix of it and a great maxi single. They also won a Grammy for that remix and deservedly so. Celebration also gave us Who's That Girl FINALLY on CD and it sounded fantastic in all it's glory.

The low points for me are s massive let down. The WTF Dress You Up intro, the Erotica fuck up, the fart noise at the start of Express Yourself that makes me jump out of my seat in fright every time it comes on my IPod. Miles Away shouldn't have been there (should have been I'll Remember) and where the fuck is Deeper and Deeper, one of her best dance songs ever. I adore Hollywood immensely but it wasn't a necessary inclusion for me, especially when the likes of DAD, You'll See and Sorry are left off. Lastly I could have probably forgiven most of this if the record had come in chronological order. It would have perfectly shown her growth as an artist and ended on a high with some of her biggest ever hits to bookend it Music, Don't Tell Me, Hung Up and 4 Minuts with Celebration to end it nicely. Lastly they could have put a photoshoot in the booklet. It didn't even have to be a new one just like TIC but a couple of unused shots from a recent shoot would have been lovely.

* Forgot to mention the album starts incredibly well with smash hit after smash, Vogue, Hung Up, Music, Vogue, 4 Minutes and Holiday before the oldies kick in.

What mistake in erotica?

While people here seem to prefer TIC over C, I wonder which, given the choice, they would choose as one of their "Desert Island Discs" (with only one album per artist allowed)? :)

For those who don't know what a "Desert Island Disc" is, it's a list of the five CDs you'd want to have with you if you were stranded on a desert island (i.e. music you couldn't possibly live without).

Listening to MDNA right now. It's really good. The Orbit and team songs are really the weakest. Orbit was right. The rest of the songs are brilliant.

I agree entirely Ryan, right on!!

It was a shame for Warners to not follow the same formula for Celebration.

But in the end, Celebration wasn't meant for the fans. It's for casual listeners, new listeners. It was put out so that when Madonna performs on national live tv, it'll gain some sales. It's an insurance policy. A "go to" when someone wants to explore the music of Madonna.

Celebration is a liability only policy. LOL.

The song selection is all there, but the sequencing and bad edits just still make me mad.

I don't like any of them. So none if them get my vote!!!

The Immaculate Collection - hate the remixes, although the title and packaging are brilliant. The versions of "Into the Groove", "Like A Virgin" and "Vogue" are dreadful.

Celebration - hate the cover, she looks pissed off, not celebratory! Artwork is good, even though there is not enough about her career and the half-arsed thank you note and inlay mistakes are ridiculous. I'm not going to even start on the audio!!!

GHV2 - should have been named "The Second Coming" as this was it's original title. This is the worst compilation of them all. The cover is atrocious, the packaging it's badly designed and extremely dated now. The track listing is random and bad edits.

The winner is "Something to Remember" not because I love it bit because it the best of a bad bunch!

Role on "Madonna The Singles Collection" box set, that's what I want. All remastered, all full versions, artwork to die for and a great detailed inlay on her entire recording career.

Instead we will probably get "The Greatest Hits Albums 1987-2009" box set like the terrible studio albums one. Half-arsed, bad design and uninspired!!!!

I'm so jealous of the people who have this!! The satin-packaged CD with the poster from the 1990 VMAs is just... :dramatic:

My satin packag CD got damaged by Katrina :cry:

I have a soft spot for Celebration because it acquainted me with Madonna's music. After listening nonstop for a couple of months I wanted to hear her back catalog and I was surprised to find that she had 11 studio albums for me to listen to. I will say that now it does come off a bit sloppy, especially the DVD version (I mean c'mon, letterboxed and such quality in 2009!) but it does have a lot to offer.

I like GHV2 but for someone like me who had gone backwards, it was useless because I had the songs already. And what kills GHV2 is that it had no exclusives (unless you count radio edits) and didn't add a new song. I like that she picked songs that kind of went under the radar but it wasn't as exciting, at least for me.

The Immaculate Collection is awesome! I remember right away hearing how the songs sounded different but still had the familiar flavor. What's great is that the tracks are exclusive. They also seem to have become the definitive mixes played on radios/pandora. It also added 2 new songs so of course that puts it ahead. It's a great collection to have because you're getting something different, but also something you know and love.

Guest bluejean

I like GHV2 but for someone like me who had gone backwards, it was useless because I had the songs already. And what kills GHV2 is that it had no exclusives (unless you count radio edits) and didn't add a new song. I like that she picked songs that kind of went under the radar but it wasn't as exciting, at least for me.

It was useless for those of us going forward also :lol: