What album has the best / worst singles?

material_boy

What album has the best / worst singles?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What album has the BEST singles?

• Madonna
    • Like a Virgin
    • True Blue
    • Like a Prayer
    • Erotica
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Confessions on a Dance Floor
    • Hard Candy
    • MDNA
  2. 2. What album has the WORST singles?

• Madonna
    • Like a Virgin
    • True Blue
    • Like a Prayer
    • Erotica
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Confessions on a Dance Floor
    • Hard Candy
    • MDNA

After two years, I finally realize that you can view who voted for what once your vote is cast. Lovely.

It's also one of the first times I'm with the majority (twice!): True Blue features the best singles, and MDNA without a doubt the worst (in part because of the quality of the three singles themselves, but MOSTLY because there were several better songs on the album).

I voted Erotica as the best. While they may not be the best tracks on the album or the most pop-friendly, they are perfectly representative of the album, and with the exception of ByeBye Baby were all magnificently supported by videos and performances.

Ray of Light is a close second, but the singles don't reach into the really intense aspects of the album.

MDNA is by far the worst on the same spectrum, the three singles were samey, vapid, and poorly promoted. Not representative of the album at all. Videos were great, but that's not enough. If MDNA had been approached with the same interest in creatively representing the breadth of the album, like Erotica and Ray Of Light, it could have been much stronger.

Of the many great eras in her career, Like A Prayer was her most impressive stretch of singles.

lapcrown_zps33f0bb06.png

lapcassingles_zpsb090160f.png

Amen.

Love this banned. I want to steal it and use it for my sig.

I'm actually surprised at the broad consensus on this poll.

Guest eroticerotic

Tru blue best mdna worst. Mdna shouldve been somethin like

Masterpiece

Im addicted

Turn up the radio

gang bang

love spent

some girls

For me -- Best: "True Blue." Five spectacular songs, five distinct videos, and the five best songs on the album. Can't go wrong. Sheer perfection

Worst: "MDNA." This album had some stellar songs -- "Beautiful Killer," "Love Spent" -- that were left behind as album cuts or even bonus tracks while filler like "GMAYL" got a single release. Just all around the worst single choices.

Agreed.

AL had the best remixes, but COADF have the better singles so I chose that.

Worst singles is a no-brainer. MDNA. She trolled us so hard w/ those choices.

"Trolled us hard w/ those choices"…. A sad fact, however your articulation of it is priceless! :laugh:

For me -- Best: "True Blue." Five spectacular songs, five distinct videos, and the five best songs on the album. Can't go wrong. Sheer perfection

Worst: "MDNA." This album had some stellar songs -- "Beautiful Killer," "Love Spent" -- that were left behind as album cuts or even bonus tracks while filler like "GMAYL" got a single release. Just all around the worst single choices.

Forget that best friend crap, let's just go to the alter.

Of the many great eras in her career, Like A Prayer was her most impressive stretch of singles.

lapcrown_zps33f0bb06.png

lapcassingles_zpsb090160f.png

Amen.

I love how the kept with the brunette theme for all the single covers, despite her changing her hair color as early as the second single. She's so beautiful as a brunette.

It was hard to choose best, because she had such a long streak of flawless single choices, but I went with Like A Prayer.

Worst was so much easier: MDNA. The single choices were not good (still like GMAYL and GGW though), but it had potential for more. I feel the same way about Hard Candy tbh.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Best: LAP/TB

Worst: MDNA (it should have been: Masterpiece, TUTR, LS, GB, Beautiful Killer)

I'm completely confounded how anyone can pick LAP for WORST singles! Two of her most iconic songs are the first two singles from LAP!

Best for me has to be True Blue... 5 amazing songs....... This was a great time to be a Madonna fan......Those songs were a lesson to all of M`s contemporary`s on how to perfectly craft a collection of faultless pop songs....

Worst, well, its already been said enough, but that honour has to go to MDNA...

Why its so obvious to us as fans, that there were some exceptional choices on that album for single (s) release , and yet the powers that be overlooked every one of them is just beyond bizarre...

• 3 months later...

True Blue for obvious reasons: 5 number one singles. And the last single, La Isla Bonita was the biggest one of them!

MDNA. But I don't think a better single selection for MDNA would have really helped. At this point, I think it will always be difficult for Madonna to get the single right. Radio won't give three or four songs a chance. So she really can only choose one or two and hope for the best.

This

Best: Ray of Light. Although I'm kinda mad we didn't got 'Skin' as final single.

Worst: MDNA. Hands down. All the mediocre (to not say worse) songs got the attention while the real gems of that album (Love Spent, I'm Addicted, Gang Bang & Masterpiece) got ignored.