What's your FAVORITE opening song on an M album?

Guest Lum

Albums  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Opening Track?

• Lucky Star
    • Material Girl
    • Papa Don't Preach
    • Like a Prayer
    • He's A Man
    • Erotica
    • Survival
    • Drowned World (Substitute for Love)
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Hung Up
    • Candy Shop
    • Girl Gone Wild

WTF?? I can't believe it!! nobody loves Girl Gone Wild??? :huh: Is fucking perfect!!! a perfect opening!!! I Love GGW

Edited by l3oMDNA

Guest Pud Whacker

i love them all but i would have to say:

Like a Prayer

the intro Prince guitar, the choir, where it goes and where it ends.

eclectic.

i don't want to start again stating the fact that IB is a studio album....obviously it is....if M thinks it's garbage or a fans' fantasy or a cat, that doesn't change the fact...a collection of songs (nor live, nor previously released, and please....it's not a soundtrack....) put together on an official release....i once read that some dion's fans consider the titanic soundtrack a dion's album..... once i even stated that i don't snore, but play angelic music while sleeping...well....i think i'm not right....

I agree, I'm Breathless is a studio album. I mean, look at the press kit..

"an album that promises to be her most talked-about to date"

"a stunning new LP"

59wpp0.jpg

Btw. I voted Erotica.

this confirms what i'm saying...for her camp it never existed...so we all are fools.... :laugh:

btw...it's genius to write purple on purple....

Never existed? They have listed right there at the very bottom -- as a soundtrack. ;)

WTF?? I can't believe it!! nobody loves Girl Gone Wild??? :huh: Is fucking perfect!!! a perfect opening!!! I Love GGW

I love GGW. It just doesn't kick down the door in the way HU does. If GGW shatters glass and emerges from a levitating confessional, then HU is a dozen dicks all ejaculating in your face at the same time!

I'm finding this extremely difficult. When you sum it all up, the majority of her opening tracks are some of her biggest or most iconic tracks. I love Hung Up, GGW, Drowned World and Survival. Lucky Star, Material Girl and Papa Dont Preach are essential tracks but don't rank as favorites for me. I never liked Candy Shop and can't stand the album version of American Life and Like a Prayer as I prefer their remixes.

I might have to go for Hung Up purely because I absolutely fell in love with it, it's a banging dance track and that breakdown in the middle is absolutely sublime. The MTV awards performance brought the house down that night and I remember my excitement being very intense for that performance, right up there with the Supernowl. The Grammy performance was another masterpiece but lacked the oomph of the MTV one and Madonna came across as a little restrained during that one. I also love the slow motion routine in the middle when the beat drops out. Iconic in every way.

......The MTV awards performance brought the house down that night and I remember my excitement being very intense for that performance......

I agree. I recall Madonna stating in an interview that the energy/excitement from the audience during the MTV Europe Awards was on par to one of her fan-filled concerts. I still watch that on YouTube every now and then. Even when her voice croaks at the end sounds cool!

Never existed? They have listed right there at the very bottom -- as a soundtrack. ;)

really? i told you it's hard to read there....well obviously they don't know what a soundtrack is..... :spankmonkey:

Even though there are some truly genius songs on this list, I had to go with Erotica, because if we're strictly speaking in terms of what an album opener is supposed to accomplish (getting your attention, setting the tone), Erotica is unparalleled.

This is waaay harder than the other poll... Madge has a knack for killer opening tracks.

I voted for "Drowned World." Such an haunting, ethereal opening -- one of her all-time great tracks in its own right and excellent introduction to the new post-motherhood, spiritual Madonna.

God, I need to listen to "Drowned World" right now.

This tbh. I listened to Drowned World recently and it reminded me how brilliant this song is. I think it's actually better than LAP in terms of being an album opener. Girl Gone Wild works really well as opening song too.