What's your FAVORITE opening song on an M album?

Guest Lum

Albums  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Opening Track?

• Lucky Star
    • Material Girl
    • Papa Don't Preach
    • Like a Prayer
    • He's A Man
    • Erotica
    • Survival
    • Drowned World (Substitute for Love)
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Hung Up
    • Candy Shop
    • Girl Gone Wild

So, if Madonna names her new album 13, then we will FINALLY know if IB is a soundtrack or an album.

For me is an album, of course. Except when she says Dick Tracy in a couple of songs, i don't think of the movie. Of course i think about Breathless Mahoney, but she was a character, the same that Dita Parlo was the character in Erotica.

So, if Madonna names her new album 13, then we will FINALLY know if IB is a soundtrack or an album.

For me is an album, of course. Except when she says Dick Tracy in a couple of songs, i don't think of the movie. Of course i think about Breathless Mahoney, but she was a character, the same that Dita Parlo was the character in Erotica.

Yes, but Dita was created because of Erotica. IB was created solely because of Dick Tracy, otherwise we wouldn't have it. Therefore, it's not an album... for me anyway ;)

Ugh, I hate discussing this topic, it's endless :lol: Just name the album 13, Madonna and get us out of this misery!

I don't want to discuss it either, haha. It's pointless and all that. But i don't follow your logic. What's the difference between beign inspired by a character in a movie or an actress from the 20s?

My point is that if it wasn't for Dick Tracy, we wouldn't have I'm Breathless. IB was made to promote and be part of a bigger thing (the movie). That makes it ineligible for me as an "album" in the same sense that the other 12 records are.

Well, he may be maligned, but has VOGUE! And while he's doing the suitcases to go to the Land of the Lost Albums, he can't help giving MDNA that look, you know, that look that implies: "Yes, you may stay here. Among with the great ones. But you never had a big hit. You never knew what it was to deliver one of the biggest hits".

Yes, IB was generous enough to invite the track to live there, among I'm Going Bananas and Cry Baby and Now I'm Following You. There was a kind of grudge with other songs like Something to Remember, a song that even left the place and decided to become all independent as a compilation in 1995.

So many IB haters! :americanlife:

I agree, I'm Breathless is a studio album. I mean, look at the press kit..

"an album that promises to be her most talked-about to date"

"a stunning new LP"

59wpp0.jpg

Btw. I voted Erotica.

Thank you darling! :horn:

Even though there are some truly genius songs on this list, I had to go with Erotica, because if we're strictly speaking in terms of what an album opener is supposed to accomplish (getting your attention, setting the tone), Erotica is unparalleled.

You're correct sir in the purely traditional sense. But I prefer Candy Shop over Erotica.

it doesn't mean anything what's the reason why an album has been created.....it's a studio album, and if anyone says it's a soundtrack album it doesn't know what a soundtrack is.....

:order:

it doesn't mean anything what's the reason why an album has been created.....it's a studio album, and if anyone says it's a soundtrack album it doesn't know what a soundtrack is.....

:order:

Vande, with you all the way. The album used the word "inspired" by Dick Tracy so is not just a soundtrack.

Soundtracks are - Flashdance, Grease, Fame, Evita - all of the music was featured on the soundtrack.

I'm Breathless also featured Vogue - that has to count for something.

Sorry Raf. I still love you though. :inlove:

Were any of you even around in 1990 when IB was released? It is without doubt a proper studio album and was considered a studio album at the time. Dick Tracey already has a soundtrack album. If anything, IB is a concept album but it is still a studio album.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Were any of you even around in 1990 when IB was released? It is without doubt a proper studio album and was considered a studio album at the time. Dick Tracey already has a soundtrack album. If anything, IB is a concept album but it is still a studio album.

I took it as a concept album and not as part of her "studio album" releases. It is somewhat of a soundtrack but mostly it was a special album to me of an era that suits Madonna perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

So many choices, but I have to choose Hung Up. It's one of the best songs she has ever done and when you hear first time that epic "time goes by.." It's perfect.