More iconic: Like a Prayer or Vogue?

madonnasuperfan01

Not that a Jay Leno promo is at all a good measure ( :lol:), the full cut of the commercial actually used "Lucky Star" and "Vogue" instead:

Oh I didn't know that, thnx. I love the commercial. It came on just before her performance. Goddamn I was on a Madonna high at that moment. What a great time to be a fan!

Oh I didn't know that, thnx. I love the commercial. It came on just before her performance. Goddamn I was on a Madonna high at that moment. What a great time to be a fan!

I know! Like an adrenaline shot... that night was an overload.

Vogue because the problem with Like a Prayer is that people don't agree on the version they like. Many only know and like the Immaculate Collection version and others (like me) love the single version. Some don't even like the album version.

I JUST made a playlist on my iPod of M's iconic top ten...in my opinion.

It goes something like this...

10. Take A Bow

9. Music

8. Material Girl

7. Ray Of Light

6. Express Yourself

5. Papa Don't Preach

4. Holiday

3. Like A Virgin

2. Like A Prayer

1. Vogue

Take a bow, Music and Ray of Light shouldn't be there simply because she has more iconic songs

I don't think anyone remembers Take A Bow, tbh. It's a great song, but she can spend her whole life not performing that song and nobody will miss it.

but it seems people ARE missing it..

I would say Vogue was a lot more iconic and influential in terms of it's impact on music, video and fashion. But I also appreciate that Like a Prayer is a very firm favourite particularly for non-Madonna fans.

Completely agree.

Vogue for me defines Madonna. From the video, the look, the gorgeous music to the choreography, I think most people do associate her with it. I remember I got goosebumps when I listened to the song and watched the video. She looked iconic.

I also love LAP.

Guest bluejean

I would say that "Vogue" is more iconic but "Like a Prayer" is probably a better song in terms of the music itself; and more of a public favourite.

100% agree.

I think the list goes like this:

1. Like a Virgin

2. Vogue

3. Like a Prayer

4. Into The Groove

The rest is very much debatable. Express Yourself could even be higher than Papa or Hung Up in terms of overall impact these days. Even though it wasn't a #1 hit it's regarded as one of her signature songs. Same goes for Material Girl.

And of course Holiday, Papa, Open Your Heart, La Isla Bonita, Frozen, Ray of Light, Music and Hung Up are all up there.

Guest bluejean

but it seems people ARE missing it..

The thing with Take a Bow is that although it was a huge hit in the US everywhere else it was a flop. So it doesn't really rate as one of her ultimate classics imo. Also, the sound and style of the song is very of its time (rnb babyface ballad) and isn't something people think of immediately when they hear the name Madonna.

It would be interesting to take a poll (yes, a poll) and get 100 randoms from the street and get them to name the first Madonna song that pops into their head. I have a feeling Like a Virgin would come 1st followed by Vogue.

Vogue for me defines Madonna. From the video, the look, the gorgeous music to the choreography, I think most people do associate her with it. I remember I got goosebumps when I listened to the song and watched the video. She looked iconic.

I also love LAP.

I feel you! When I first heard the song I was OBSESSED to say the least...I played it repeatedly in my bedroom at my parents house after taping it off the radio...and when we finally got to see the video I was completely blown away. It really had an impact on me and I can never tire of listening to the song even to this day. It's a masterpiece in terms of pop culture. The only other pop song/video that ever managed to have a similar impact was MJ's Thriller.

Don't get me wrong - I worship LAP, but Vogue really marked a shift for Madonna into a whole other stratosphere...the song represents her elevation to deity status.

I'd be interested to know the experiences of those around when both were released. I get the sense "Vogue" was bigger at the time - it was the best selling song of 1990, obviously ushered in a dance craze, and was released at the absolute peak of her imperial phase; meanwhile Like a Prayer to some extent was overshadowed by its video controversy.

i think it was about equal. like A Prayer was on the radio nonstop when it was released, video controversy did not hurt it.

In the end, I do believe "Like a Virgin" (much to my dismay) and "Like a Prayer" are her most iconic and memorable songs to the general public. "Vogue" is close behind, but whenever LAP comes on in public, everyone sings along. And when you ASK people, they usually say LAV or LAP. Other contenders are "Material Girl" and "Into the Groove," but I don't think they're Top 3. If it were a Family Feud question, it might look something like this:

1. Like a Virgin

2. Like a Prayer

3. Vogue

4. Material Girl

5. Into the Groove

I JUST made a playlist on my iPod of M's iconic top ten...in my opinion.

It goes something like this...

10. Take A Bow

9. Music

8. Material Girl

7. Ray Of Light

6. Express Yourself

5. Papa Don't Preach

4. Holiday

3. Like A Virgin

2. Like A Prayer

1. Vogue

Swap "Holiday" for "Into the Groove" and I think we'd probably have the same 10 songs in our "most iconic" lists. (I might quibble with the numbers from 6 - 10, but I think choose all those songs. I would probably waffle for a while on whether to include "Justify my Love" instead of "Take a Bow.")

I think "Vogue" is more iconic, at least when considering popularity of both the song, its imagery and its impact on pop culture.

But it's hard to deny that "Like a Prayer" is a better-known and more well-liked song -- and could be considered more "iconic" if you were only considering the song's lasting popularity. Even frat boys sang along to "LAP" when girls would play at house parties when I was in college.

Madonna has manipulated the iconic songs by not performing some of them.

However these are the ones IN ORDER:

1. Like A Virgin

2. La Isla Bonita

3. Vogue

4. Papa Dont Preach

5. Like A Prayer

6. Holiday

7. Material Girl

8. Whos That Girl

9. Ray of Light

10. Music

Madonna has manipulated the iconic songs by not performing some of them.

However these are the ones IN ORDER:

1. Like A Virgin

2. La Isla Bonita

3. Vogue

4. Papa Dont Preach

5. Like A Prayer

6. Holiday

7. Material Girl

8. Whos That Girl

9. Ray of Light

10. Music

"Who's that Girl?" :lmao:

I can recall "WTG" being on the radio once in my entire life -- during the Reinvention Tour and a local station was playing her songs virtually nonstop to promote their pit ticket giveaways. A coworker at the time called it "That song where she sings in Spanish -- not 'La Isla Bonita,' the other one."

I'd be interested to know the experiences of those around when both were released. I get the sense "Vogue" was bigger at the time - it was the best selling song of 1990, obviously ushered in a dance craze, and was released at the absolute peak of her imperial phase; meanwhile Like a Prayer to some extent was overshadowed by its video controversy.

I was a senior in HS when Like A Prayer came out and a freshman in college when Vogue came out. Vogue was far more of a cultural event at the time. I don't think the straights had quite figured out it was such a gay anthem. I remember walking by frat houses at USC where I went t college and hearing Vogue blasting out the windows. It was played at all the college parties.

I do think LAP has aged better with the public and it's seen as a more of a spiritual anthem today which is quite different from how it was viewed when it was first released.