What year did you become a Madonna fan?

Guest Xanthium

I became a fan in 2010. I don't know, all of a sudden i got curious about her and i listened to her whole discography. I've been a fan ever since and will be for life. I just CAN'T BELIEVE i missed out her amazing body of work for more than 20 years.

Early 2001. There was a two-part magazine supplement in the Sunday Mirror about Madonna's career to date, with little sections on each of her albums. I was intrigued and started collecting her CDs and became hooked!

Was anyone a fan during the wannabe craze of 84-85? Does anyone have any good stories of that iconic period? Did anyone know any wannabes themselves?

Guest Rachelle of London

Was anyone a fan during the wannabe craze of 84-85? Does anyone have any good stories of that iconic period? Did anyone know any wannabes themselves?

Our very own Jazzyjan was

My 10 years older cousin Lisa was a wannabe, a few years ago my Mom showed me pictures of my 3rd birthday in 1985 and Lisa was 13 and all decked out like Madonna circa the Virgin era

And my Mom looked like a drag queen/ cast member from Dynasty! She had huge teased hair, big shoulder pads in her dress and was wearing 10 pounds of makeup including a ridiculous amount of blue eye shadow!

Only in the 80s

Girls selling finger-less lace gloves and plastic bracelets on the back of the school bus in 1984

Also a fan since 1983

I actually became a fan because of my mother, who's been a huge fan herself since LAV, she always listened to her music and I liked her a lot.

We also saw the S&S and the MDNA Tour together :)

The first ever Madonna song i remember listening to is Frozen (I was 6), then i always watched her videos on MTV and then I became a fan later with COAD (the first Madonna album i bought). :)

i've always been aware of her and liked some of her songs and i guess the seed of being a Madonna's loon was deep inside of me since early childhood. I became a real loon in Summer 2001

I love how many people here became fans in so many different eras, i just LOVE how she managed to constantly gain new fans over the years :wow:

That's why there's always so many different kind of people in Madonna concerts, she attracts such a large and diverse crowd.

I love how many people here became fans in so many different eras, i just LOVE how she managed to constantly gain new fans over the years :wow:

That's why there's always so many different kind of people in Madonna concerts, she attracts such a large and diverse crowd.

That's what it's all about! Madonna's unique ability to touch so many individuals from various backgrounds is so undervalued & overlooked. IMO, that's the MAIN reason she's lasted as long as she has. One achieves longevity not by appealing to the (fickle) masses, but by speaking directly to people of ALL creeds on a relateable real level. It's actually very amazing, aint it? :wow:

tumblr_m8i22cOTHG1rxml8no2_1280.jpg

BOW DOWN

1984!

Interesting to see how several of the new posters are also 1984 too. Where have you been for the past decade, guys!

thirty years this year though. Wow! That's longer than most marriages!

I remember I was at my cousin when I was about 7 years old in 1986. She had this cassette with MTV videos. Then LAV and Material Girl came on. My thought: this is the most beautiful woman in the world. I was in love.

Two years later someone gave me a cassette with MTV hits where among all of them there were True Blue and La Is La Bonita. I always played only those two videos.

Then in 1989 my brother bought LAP and I was hooked. I listened to it non stop. I remember in 1990 when I was watching BAT on the TV. I couldnt move, I was so mesmerised. I loved loved loved this concert... I had it taped and replayed it non stop.

Erotica didnt impressed me as much, nor did BS, but I was still a huge fan (I ll Remember was played non stop for like a year). All my classmates called her granny, passe until ROL.Then when I was graduating school ROL came out. I remember I was waiting for the shop to open and I bought it first and came home and listen to it. I was blown away. Everyone in my class was blown away by ROL. Everyone was praising her. It was a real revival.

Guest eroticerotic

Sep 1994 with Secret

in 1995 I was listening to the radio, and youll see debuted without any introduction. I thought, wow this is amazing who is this? When I realized it was her, I flipped :p 1995 was my stan year lol

Oh geez, sometime around 1984/1985. I was 6 or 7 years old. Hard to believe I've been a fan for that long!!

I finally got the chance to see her in concert in Oct '12. Took me long enough, right? However, that was not my first time seeing her perform. :)

I have family in NY, and when I was 10 years old, I got to see Madonna in "Speed the Plow." July 1, 1988!

I have vague recollections of the actual play, all I remember was that I could not take my eyes off of her!

After the show my family and I watched her walk from the stage door to her limo, with Sean at her side. So surreal. My dad took a couple of pictures of them, which I have in an album somewhere. Anyway, that's probably the most interesting story I have. :)

And this is my first post. Hi!

I discovered Madonna back in 2000 (I was 10). By then I stopped liking any music, nothing interested me musically and when i saw the Music video i was so shocked. The music was so ahead of its time, so different from what we would hear back then and also the name Madonna stroke me, such a powerful name (actually, in Mallorcan dialect "madona" means the woman who owns or the female boss), that was the image she gave me. Then i would hear the radio and they would play Like A Prayer. I immediately fell in love with that song (it's my favorite song of all songs). I didn't know it was Madonna's song. One time that song was played in a party for kids and when I heard it i ran to the DJ and asked the name and who sang it. He told me it was Madonna, the same woman I was so shocked from her Music video.

After that I would take a cassette and listen to the radio for hours waiting for the song to be played. And then it came... i heard the woman say: "and now a woman, she's blonde and everything she touches becomes gold, she's Madonna and this is Like A Prayer..." and BAM!!! I pressed the recording button! The choir started singing and it felt something so special that i have never experienced again. Those words from the radio host were etched into my memory since then.

The funny thing was they would play 2 songs that i also loved. The next one was True blue. I caught it in the middle and I also fell in love. When it finished the host would say "we have listen to True blue from Madonna". I was so shocked again... that bitch... And even funnier was when they played Cherish, also without knowing it was her. Then they would say "and this was Madonna". Again... hahahaha! From that day i knew this bitch was something special.

That's what it's all about! Madonna's unique ability to touch so many individuals from various backgrounds is so undervalued & overlooked. IMO, that's the MAIN reason she's lasted as long as she has. One achieves longevity not by appealing to the (fickle) masses, but by speaking directly to people of ALL creeds on a relateable real level. It's actually very amazing, aint it? :wow:

tumblr_m8i22cOTHG1rxml8no2_1280.jpg

BOW DOWN

Oh I so agree with this!! I have always thought that and loved her for it too! How appropriate that her first single was called "Everybody!"

My sister is quite a bit older than I, and she was a big fan in the 80s -- so I was kind of born into it. (I remember hearing "Live to Tell" after becoming a fan myself and being surprised that I already knew all the words.)

My own fandom started in 1994. That's when I first started recognizing her on the radio, enjoying her music on my own, and singing along when I could. ("I'll Remember," "Secret," and "Take a Bow" was the 1-2-3 punch that did me in. I remember putting the "Don't Cry for me Argentina" single on my Christmas list two years later.)

I went from casual fan to complete fanboy in 1998 -- first time I heard "Frozen" was life-changing. Those strings, that haunting production, that voice... :wow: