Was Madonna ahead of the curve with 'folktronica'?

Ugly Hecty

Anyone notice how more & more hit songs these days have more of a folkier sound from the likes of Avicii, Mumford & Sons, the Lumineers, and even that trashy Pitbull / Ke$ha "Timber" song? :laugh:

It always makes me wonder whether songs like "Love Spent", "Gone", "Intervention", "Easy Ride" and a good portion of the "Ray Of Light" album would be more appreciated on radio now than back then like "Don't Tell Me" was in '01.

Anyone notice how more & more hit songs these days have more of a folkier sound from the likes of Avicii, Mumford & Sons, the Lumineers, and even that trashy Pitbull / Ke$ha "Timber" song?

I have NEVER heard any of those. :lmao::lol: Gotta check them out.

Lovin' a lot of the new sounds coming out of these folksy rock/dance songs lately. I'm not sure if the sound Madonna was going for is exactly the same, but I always thought Madonna sounded great on the more folk type songs she did.

And really? No one has heard of Mumford & Suns and Avicii? Both have had some huge songs, especially Avicii lately.

Yep... even Twink Direction's new album is quite pop folksy.

I've never really been into that 'folksy' sound...but Madonna brings that certain something to it...

Mumford and Sons...Lumineers...that stuff makes me want to date a cousin.

I think she was on to something, a sound of her own. Madonna's sound. I don't know if she was ahead of her time with it or not.

I think she was on to something, a sound of her own. Madonna's sound. I don't know if she was ahead of her time with it or not.

Not to diss M, her folktronica was very unique for her, but Beth Orton and Ron Sexsmith were doing it (and getting critical acclaim) before Madonna ever did. I would say that Madonna did bring it to the mainstream and was the first major star to try it on.

I have NEVER heard any of those. :lmao::lol: Gotta check them out.

You should check them out, their songs are better than Girl Gone Wild. But then again, (almost) everything's better than GGW.