Madonna's most underrated album?

madonnasuperfan01

Bedtime Stories. For the press and most of the general public it feels like it didn't happen. It is a page from her history that few people took notice or simply didn't mind at all.

+1

AND it's BRILLIANT!

I'm Breathless - Even Madonna once said it was her favourite album.

Erotica, American Life - Both were brilliant and should have sold more. Both affected by unfair back-lashes.

Like a Virgin. - Underrated in the fact that it never seems to get the credit it deserves as a truly great pop album. So many fans now seem to dismiss it as bubblegum and don't understand just how huge, enjoyable and influential it was and still is.

MDNA - I find that people concentrate so much on the songs they personally don't like on this album instead of enjoying some wonderful and heart-felt honest songs.

MDNA - I find that people concentrate so much on the songs they personally don't like on this album instead of enjoying some wonderful and heart-felt honest songs.

Bingo!

American Life. The album itself is not political. I hate that Madonna aids the misconception that she went political on the album. When it was merely the first version of the video of American Life that was political and the album cover being tribute to Che.

So many claim that Life is Music 2.0. But American Life sounds so soulful in comparison to Music's cold sound aesthetic. Full. Warm. With American Life it was the first Madonna album that felt like the intention is to change the world. Had the fans supported the project the possibility we would be further along musically with Madonna than we are now...I can't lose that notion that we should be in a different place. Even with the secret project feels late. Madonna was ahead of the world with American Life.

A 2003 release that doesn't sound like 2003. It feels ever present and current. Right. Now.

Like a Virgin. - Underrated in the fact that it never seems to get the credit it deserves as a truly great pop album. So many fans now seem to dismiss it as bubblegum and don't understand just how huge, enjoyable and influential it was and still is.

LOVE YOU

tumblr_miok3asPcT1s0x5wto1_500.gif

LAV-- I don't understand why fans or media downgrade its musical merit.

I'm Breathless-- VOCALS VOCALS VOCALS!

BEDTIME STORIES!!! -- This is literary art put into music and the melodies are divine!

American Life-- Madonna's reddit answer on its undeserved reputation is very true

MDNA

Erotica at the time of release (backlash effect).. but it has now gained its rightful cred in retrospective reviews. This really is a masterpiece.

Erotica is now considered a masterpiece.

American Life is also hailed greatly now. And I've seen lovers of Bedtime Stories.

So I think it's Hard Candy. I knew she was going through a divorce around that time so it must have been a bittersweet era for her. But I love the album because it's one pure jam from the opening to the closing. Even pseudo-ballads Miles Away and Devil I can tap and groove with. It has amazing shuffle value and consistency with the sound. And I think it is like her debut album for the 2000s.

Get stupid.

Well are you referring to underrated from the fans or the general public/critics because the fans may respect Erotica now but it is still ignored by the general public/critics as an important album in Madonna's catalogue. Bedtime Stories was successful upon its release both financially and critically. It sold well, had hit singles, was popular with the general public and casual listeners, won Madonna her first real Grammy and was praised by the critics. Bedtime Stories has not been underrated except by the fans.

she got a Grammy nomination, but didn't win

Too hard to choose just one,

Erotica got good reviews but I don't think it got the appreciation it should've especially as it had good singles and video releases,

Bedtime Stories,

American Life,

MDNA,

^ I really don't think MDNA is going to go down that way in the long term. A couple HC-level albums in the future and you all will be looking back at MDNA with nostalgia.

Hard Candy is superior to MDNA already.