Madonna's most underrated album?

madonnasuperfan01

As we all know, Madonna has an amazing discography, probably one of the best of all time. Unfortunately some of her albums have been unfairly bashed or snubbed. The first examples that come to mind are Erotica and American Life.

Based on her whole discography, which album do you think is her most underrated and why? Discuss ;)

I dont think that Erotica is underrated especially now.

It should have sold more though..

I think the fact that the album sold so little is enough to make it CRIMINALLY underrated.

Guest Xanthium

I dont think that Erotica is underrated especially now.

It should have sold more though..

Well are you referring to underrated from the fans or the general public/critics because the fans may respect Erotica now but it is still ignored by the general public/critics as an important album in Madonna's catalogue. Bedtime Stories was successful upon its release both financially and critically. It sold well, had hit singles, was popular with the general public and casual listeners, won Madonna her first real Grammy and was praised by the critics. Bedtime Stories has not been underrated except by the fans.

Well are you referring to underrated from the fans or the general public/critics because the fans may respect Erotica now but it is still ignored by the general public/critics as an important album in Madonna's catalogue. Bedtime Stories was successful upon its release both financially and critically. It sold well, had hit singles, was popular with the general public and casual listeners, won Madonna her first real Grammy and was praised by the critics. Bedtime Stories has not been underrated except by the fans.

Totally agree.

I believe Erotica has received a lot of love over the years from critics, many of them re-reviewed the album and totally changed their opinion of it.

MDNA (I love it). She is to blame because she chose the wrong singles. Should ve been I'm Addicted-Love Spent-Beautiful Killer and it would ve been a success...

I m Breathless: I love this album, I know most hate it. I love her voice here and the jazzy feel. So good it hurts :)

The album I see dragged around by critics and fans all the time, American Life. Such a hauntingly beautiful album! It definitely did not/does not get the credit it deserves

This too! American Life is such a masterpiece, it deserved WAY more.

For as long as I've been a fan I don't remember seeing bad reviews for any of her albums (I'm talking about actual critics and publications, not internet drama). Some didn't grab the general public for whatever reason. I'm gonna go with I'm Breathless because I think now it's become somewhat forgotten/ overlooked.

Erotica had very good reviews by major printings when it was released. It wasn't panned as ArtPop is right now. Rolling Stone, NME gave it great reviews.

American Life is still seen as her best album by indie and european crowds.

I think her most underrated album by critics and fans is Like a Virgin. I used to not like it because i never loved Like a virgin or Material girl (like them but not love them) but i revisited it and it's a great album. I think it's overlooked in Madonna's discography even if it sold so well.

Bedtime Stories is also overlooked but even though i absolutely love many songs on it, it feels disjointed or missing something, i don't know.

Bedtime Stories. For the press and most of the general public it feels like it didn't happen. It is a page from her history that few people took notice or simply didn't mind at all.