Pick a Song to Define Each Decade

5iVe Elements

80s - Like a Prayer. She had such iconic songs but for me this takes the cake. Pop and mature.

90s - Ray of Light. This was used for Windows XP right? Nuff said.

2000s - Music, her last US #1 is the best choice

2010s - so far Girl Gone Wild. :lol:

80's - Into the Groove (As much as I love LAP, when I think of 80's Madonna, I think of the fun less serous early 80's side of her) And the look she had in the video was classic early 80's thrift store Madonna.)

90's - Erotica (When I think of the 90's, I think of controversial very sexual Madonna)

00's - Don't Tell Me (Maybe not the biggest hit but when I think of the 00's, I think of her incorporating more of the acoustic singer songwriter thing, plus I love the lyrics because people are always telling her she should stop.

10's - 4 Minutes ( Because it's the combination of fun sexy Madonna mixed with the idea of wanting to save the world but dance at at the same time which she has been about in this decade)

So I went by not by the biggest hits or what are my personal favorite songs but the songs that basically sum up the general feeling and look of each decade to me.

80s - Like A Virgin ( or Into The Groove)

90s - Vogue ( or Erotica) / Ray of Light

00s - Music / Hung Up

10s - no defining song quite yet ...

Madonna is too diverse...There just isn't one song to define each decade. I think some have at least two.

10's - 4 Minutes ( Because it's the combination of fun sexy Madonna mixed with the idea of wanting to save the world but dance at at the same time which she has been about in this decade)

HC was released in 2008, therefore it's grouped under 00s.

HC was released in 2008, therefore it's grouped under 00s.

Oops! Sorry, but I look it as more of this decade because it's fun Madonna mixed with "saving the world". Then I would have to go with either Give Me all Your Loving like you or maybe Gang Bang even though it's not a single, because it was the iconic part of her tour.

80s Into the groove (it was this or Everybody, but I prefer ITG).

90s Secret (it's kind of hybrid between a ballad and a mid tempo, and also has the kinkiness of her sexual days, but a sense of rebirth/new life of what was to come with ROL... So IMO it defines the decade well).

00s Die Another Day (the violence in the video, the message of the song... I think it defines M of the 00s well).

10s ... Do I really have to pick a MDNA song? I'm gonna go with I'm a sinner, but I think a defining song for the decade is yet to happen.

Great thread! Madonna is such an icon that she trancends her own image/sound to actually reflect the defining idea of each decade. So Id like to expand the scope of the idea of this thread a bit to pick songs to define the decades themselves.

1980s-- Material Girl.

NO OTHER song by ANY artist defined the 80s quite like MG. The early years of the 80s was a recovery from the bad 70s hangover of the oil embargo/crisis and the Carter recession (NY was bankrupt w/c made for a very seedy and gritty Manhattan you guys loved as per the Caca thread LOL). Still, as the 80s dawned, the Reagans rolled in and America (and its sphere of influence) was resurgent with new found bravado, and so the era of glitz and excess was unfolding, furthered by pop culture with iconic "all about money and glitz" tv soaps like Dynasty, Dallas, Falcon Crest, etc.. The decade was also the era of the Wall Street Masters of the Universe like the Milkens (junk bonds) and KKRs and the fictional Gordon Gecko. It was the era of GREED. The Material Decade. Even the Olympics was all about the profits. Despite its ironic intent, MG was and is the poster song of the decade as it perfectly encapsulates it.

1990s-- Vogue.

The 90s will forever be attached to Nirvana's Smell Like Teen Spirit (and grunge)-- a sharp generational reaction to/alienation from the 80s excess and materialism. But it can be argued that Vogue is a close second as this totemic dance anthem mirrored like no other the, yes, the era of the postmodern. Madonna was written by university scholars no less as the "queen of the postmodern" ( by Camille?? LOL) with her changing personas and music. Vogue established that distinction, with its strike-a-pose, be whatever you wanna be message and the imagery appropriations and references to past art works. Postmodernism became a multi art movement (esp architecture) in the late 70s but socially, I think it peaked in the 90s esp in the Clinton era which culminated in Bill's infamous "define sexual relationship" lawyerly (postmodern) talk.. Or Bob Dole's deadpan "whatever"..

2000s --Hung Up

Madonna solidified her reign for this decade as the biggest established music star-- the very institution to "rebel against", so to speak-- but she admittedly had reached the inevitable point when she's not THE cultural touchstone anymore even if she remained one of the biggest influences for those who WERE. However, musically I think Hung Up can be placed up there (even if it wasnt a Stateside smash). Hung up, with its Abba sample and retro disco sound reflects a decade which was so... retro.. musically.

2010s -- none YET.

Now, if I forego all that and just pick songs that represent just Madonna per decade, then:

80s -- Into the Groove (or Borderline/LAV; I always associate LAP with 90s BAT)

90s -- Frozen (id like Vogue but id lump Vogue as part of her long imperial phase that began in the 80s. Frozen or ROL was the start of her next wave)

00s -- Hung Up ( another wave-starter)

10s -- GGW

:)

80'-85's - INTO THE GROOVE (This song is pure 80's Madonna)

85'-90's - PAPA DON'T PREACH/LIKE A PRAYER (These two song's represent her first change)

90-95's - VOGUE (This song was the birth of SEX/GLAMDonna)

95-00's - FROZEN (Her spiritual rebirth! This was the birth of the new Madonna! It almost was like she started all over again, almost like she started a new career)

00'-05's - MUSIC (Perfect representation of Mirwaiis/Madonna)

05's-10's - HUNG UP (I think this era is all about the looks...DiscoDonna/Candy Granny...oops)

10's - GIRL GONE WILD (so far) (It's funny how she looks so much younger this era than she did during the HC/Celebration-era)

There's just no way you pick one song to represent a whole decade!

80's - Into the Groove - the quintessential 80's Madonna sound and look

90's - Take a Bow - though the 90's were very eclectic musically, this is the decade of the ballads (eleven singles in the US alone! Plus a video for IWY and a ballad compilation). So TAB seems to me to represent that (from an American POV).

00's - Most of the world will think of HU and the US will think of Music or 4M. I really have a hard time picking a definitive song.

10's' - GGW for lack of options.