Is Music (the album) underrated?

madonnasuperfan01

What do you think about it guys? I know Music was a big commercial and critical success but i think it's too overlooked. When you ask people about Madonna's best albums, they generally mention Ray of Light, Like a Prayer, Erotica or even American Life. But Music is basically NEVER mentionned.

I really don't know why, that album is a pure masterpiece. As i said on another topic i like it WAY more than Ray of Light, it's my favorite album by Madonna. The title track is one of her strongest lead singles and songs like Impressive Instant, Don't Tell Me, Amazing, Paradise (not for me), WIFLFAG and Gone are pure heaven. For me there's not a single filler on this album, i NEVER skip any song.

So what's your opinions guys? Do you think the album is underrated despite his success?

I'm a huge fan of the album. I haven't read your opinion on why you prefer it to ROL, but I actually rate them both pretty equally, giving ROL a slight edge for consistency (and of course the whole rebirth angle). But song-for-song, Music is nearly as good. I think there are two reasons it's not as well-regarded as some of her other albums:

1) it's just eclipsed by ROL. It's sort of seen as the "follow-up," and maybe riding on ROL's coattails.

2) The promo was cut short, with only three singles, the last one of which was sort of botched (remix used in the video, which means the video wasn't really promoting the song much at all, and it being banned from MTV didn't help).

I truly believe, like BS, this album could have sold much more had the singles been handled differently. And thus I think it would be slightly better regarded today.

a great album that could have had much more success and a mucl longer life with a right singles release..., i agree with vocalism...

it's a strong album with great songs, music and lyrics (some of her best) (and rarely she's been more beautiful than on the cover...at the time i imagined a whole movie with her with that look and make-up...cowgirldonna!!! :chuckle: )

I prefer Music to Ray of Light big time. Music has been overlooked over the years because she only pulled 3 singles, one of which wasn't even an album track

The era was very well received by everyone at the time and, although coming right after the enormous success of Ray of Light, she took the risk of changing her sound and image completely.

That's the Madonna I love

Some of her older albums seem to be mentioned more frequently, mostly because of the controversy they created at the time. Erotica and American Life for example

Even Like a Prayer wasn't that huge success that people think

I prefer Music to Ray of Light big time. Music has been overlooked over the years because she only pulled 3 singles, one of which wasn't even an album track

The era was very well received by everyone at the time and, although coming right after the enormous success of Ray of Light, she took the risk of changing her sound and image completely.

Some of her older albums seem to be mentioned more frequently, mostly because of the controversy they created at the time. Erotica and American Life for example

What?

I'm a huge fan of the album. I haven't read your opinion on why you prefer it to ROL, but I actually rate them both pretty equally, giving ROL a slight edge for consistency (and of course the whole rebirth angle). But song-for-song, Music is nearly as good. I think there are two reasons it's not as well-regarded as some of her other albums:

1) it's just eclipsed by ROL. It's sort of seen as the "follow-up," and maybe riding on ROL's coattails.

2) The promo was cut short, with only three singles, the last one of which was sort of botched (remix used in the video, which means the video wasn't really promoting the song much at all, and it being banned from MTV didn't help).

I truly believe, like BS, this album could have sold much more had the singles been handled differently. And thus I think it would be slightly better regarded today.

So I actually agree with much of what you posted here, but regarding WIFLFAG, you do know the banning of the video was a huge set up to generate sales for the single video? Madonna and her camp suggested it was too violent for TV from the get-go. MTV just followed her lead, knowing what better controversy is to have another banned Madonna 10 years after her first. While at the same time, MTV was all willing to feature other videos that were far more explicit such as "The Prodigys" 'Smack My Bitch Up" several years earlier. I remember at the time of the banning, there was a lot of talk it was a strategically planned banned video on Madonna's part even though MTV was playing far more explicit and offensive videos prior to the release of WIFLFAG!

As for the actual topic, do I think "Music" is underrated? Not really. I agree that the album was eclipsed by ROL. When you have a huge critically and successful album prior, it's hard to measure up to it. I think the album is equally good. Though, I can see why some might see it as an extension to ROL. With ROL though, it was something new and different. Her outlook on life and life had taken a huge turn with motherhood and her spiritual journey. It was the first time in a long time we truly can say we got another "NEW MADONNA".

Still, the "Music" album was a precursor of what was to come with "American Life" the more electronic and folk sounds on a couple of the tracks like "Don't Tell Me" and "Gone".

What's great about Madonna that she seems to have several generations under her belt where people will always remember her as. You have the older generation who will always remember 80's Madonna, then you have a new crop of adults now who are fond of the 90's Madonna who have ROL as their go to, and then we have a current crop of younger fans who are getting on board that may go back as far as the Confession era.

For me, Madonna's probably most underrated albums would go to either "American Life" or "Bedtime Stories". They are hardly even thought of by the general public, even though the latter produce one of her longest #1 songs in America.

Umm? What are you talking about? Granted, the "Like A Prayer" album didn't sell as many copies as her previous two albums, but it still sold 15 million copies and yes at the time, it was a HUGE success. The album carved out yet again another signature song (the title track) that eclipsed her previous signature songs. The title track alone was her highest selling track of her career at the time and is now her third world-wide highest selling track behind "Hung Up" and "Vogue".

For me, Madonna's probably most underrated albums would go to either "American Life" or "Bedtime Stories". They are hardly even thought of by the general public, even though the latter produce one of her longest #1 songs in America.

I agree, American Life is definitively her most underrated album, it's such a masterpiece too. I don't know about Bedtime Stories, i like some of the songs (mostly the singles) but it's the only Madonna album i can't really get into. Probably because soft R&B is my least favorite musical genre, i find it boring to death.

Umm? What are you talking about? Granted, the "Like A Prayer" album didn't sell as many copies as her previous two albums, but it still sold 15 million copies and yes at the time, it was a HUGE success. The album carved out yet again another signature song (the title track) that eclipsed her previous signature songs. The title track alone was her highest selling track of her career at the time and is now her third world-wide highest selling track behind "Hung Up" and "Vogue".

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest Rachelle of London

Think you're a bit confused, LAP is hugely successful, one of her most critically acclaimed albums aswell

I dont think Music is underrated at all. A lot of non fans love Music and the singles that they released. I even know non fans that adore WIFLFAG

I'd agree that her most underrated albums would be AL and BS, which just happen to be my two favourites

I agree, American Life is definitively her most underrated album, it's such a masterpiece too. I don't know about Bedtime Stories, i like some of the songs (mostly the singles) but it's the only Madonna album i can't really get into. Probably because soft R&B is my least favorite musical genre, i find it boring to death.

So you're basing "underrated" by what you like, rather what is a perception from the general public. I still think "Bedtimes Stories" is probably very underrated. If you ask casusal or non-fans what Madonna albums they remember, I am certain "Bedtime Stores" wouldn't be a popular recall. While "Erotica" could easily be called underrated regarding the general acceptance and sales, but at least many people from that time could reflect back now and recall what some may dub has her "sex" album. "Bedtime Stories" was an album that went by pretty unnoticed even though, "Take A Bow" was a huge radio song in the U.S. The success of the song certainly didn't help generate much sales for both the song and album it came from.

I guess I see "underrated" as something that isn't generally remembered, critically acclaimed and/or well received by the general public, rather something I dislike. After all, there are plenty of hughly successful songs, films and other art out there I don't necessarily like, yet I can't say it's "underrrated". For instance, I'm not a huge fan of "Like A Virgin" the song and album, but just because I don't dig it as much as compared to her previous and follow up album, doesn't mean I think it's underrated.

The album "Music" did not go unnoticed. Even though, I agree the success sizzled out much too early and more singles could have been released from the album. It's quite a stand out album in her catalog.

Guest Rachelle of London

At work we were discussing Madonna songs and my colleague said he loved the one she did for James Bond, so I said, yeah the album that it is on is my favourite. He asked which album was that so I said American Life, so he asked "Wasn't that her rap album?" hahahaha imagine AL is known as a rap album! :dead:

I prefer American Life as the definitive collaboration between Madonna and Mirwais. I appreciate Music for bring them together. And there are some unusual tracks: Nobody's Perfect and Paradise (Not for Me) which encourages me to revisit. But overall I rather listen to American Life.

Guest Rachelle of London

I prefer American Life as the definitive collaboration between Madonna and Mirwais. I appreciate Music for bring them together. And there are some unusual tracks: Nobody's Perfect and Paradise (Not for Me) which encourages me to revisit. But overall I rather listen to American Life.

other_preach_gif.gif

Guest Not4Pussies

I like how it only has 10 tracks. Making it tight and classic. And this album started the fuck ups with the single choices. Impressive Instant!!

"Music" - her funkiest song ever

"Impressive Instant" - who else could have made such a cool futuristic electro track

"Runaway Lover" - clubbiest moment in M's career

"I Deserve It" - Sheryl Crow would kill to have this in her canon

"Amazing" - M goes 1960s with a modern twist

"Nobody's Perfect" - she used vocoder like no other

"Don't Tell Me" - soulful

"What It Feels Like for a Girl" - sooo creamy production yum yum

"Paradise (Not for Me)" - darker cousin of "Frozen"

"Gone" - the album ends with such an intimate ballad

Overall score: 10/10

GOD IT'S JUST TOO GOOD IT HURTS

At work we were discussing Madonna songs and my colleague said he loved the one she did for James Bond, so I said, yeah the album that it is on is my favourite. He asked which album was that so I said American Life, so he asked "Wasn't that her rap album?" hahahaha imagine AL is known as a rap album! :dead:

Yes, that's why the lead single choice is everything for the general public perception. MDNA is the trying-hard-to-be-young-chanting-my-name album.

Although I do like GMAYL :)

I LOVE THE MUSIC ALBUM!!!!!!!!

It's so tight, like her debut. SOOO YUMMY

It might be her most perfect album too!

"Music" - her funkiest song ever

"Impressive Instant" - who else could have made such a cool futuristic electro track

"Runaway Lover" - clubbiest moment in M's career

"I Deserve It" - Sheryl Crow would kill to have this in her canon

"Amazing" - M goes 1960s with a modern twist

"Nobody's Perfect" - she used vocoder like no other

"Don't Tell Me" - soulful

"What It Feels Like for a Girl" - sooo creamy production yum yum

"Paradise (Not for Me)" - darker cousin of "Frozen"

"Gone" - the album ends with such an intimate ballad

Overal score: 10/10

GOD IT'S JUST TOO GOOD IT HURTS

:clap::clap::clap: :clap:

it was a bit of a flop in USA though..

Love it. I like how it has the balance between dance and slower ballads, and also between fun Madonna and deeper more mature Madonna. It's has diversity but it still holds together. I actually would like her next album to be like this in tone, something deeper and more profound than HC and MDNA (even though I like them) but not as serious and spiritual as Ray of Light and American Life.