Would Girl Gone Wild have charted in the US now?

johnnox

^Then why was she BIGGER THAN LIFE in Confessions and still had loads of airplay for Celebration (even though the track was a bit weak?). Ageism??? Nope.

Or is it that there's only ageism in USA, precisely the country where music changed so much that she didn't have a place in radiostations

I am primarily speaking of the USA. After DAD, I NEVER heard a new Madonna single on the radio until 4M......oh and believe it or not I do recall MATM getting some very very minor airplay when it first came out. I don't think it's solely ageism but I do think it plays a big part.

I don't swallow that ageism thing. Madonna suffered more from r'n'b and hip hop in the 00s than ageism. She was number 1 in Europe and was nowhere in USA. When GMAYL was released, many people were waiting a Madonna song, but sadly it was a bad one. When she performed in the Super Bowl everyone was telling how great she is.

Of course she's not going to appeal to youngsters as much as Rihanna or Miley, but she's Madonna and imo MDNA was a wasted opportunity.

She said be releasing great songs like Kylie does. What was that magnum opus Kylie released? Skirt?

Seriously some of you people have the worst opinions and most hypocritical expressions that I have ever heard.

Actually, you are agreeing with me. Madonna was angry making this album, yet we have GMAYL, GGW and TUTR as singles? This has to be the first time that Madonna has released something that she wasn't feeling. The rest of the album is about those feelings: Gang Bang, Love Spent, Falling Free... even I'm Addicted is about somebody who is unable to resist somebody that is like a drug: dangerous, addictive but harmful

Look dickface. Madonna REQUESTED GGW and PERFORMED IT AS THE OPENING NUMBER OF HER TOUR WHICH SHE WORKED ON FOR OVER 18 months. I'm pretty sure that Madonna was feeling that song. Get over it.

I enjoyed reading this and I agree with most of it although a couple little things bothered me and honestly Esther would have been more Sunday school than the Saints mentioned. Catholics do learn about the Old Testament. The people mentioned in I'm A Sinner with the exceptions of Mary and Jesus are not of the bible so..just from a writing perspective that is an example of what kinda bothers me. I don't like when something is casually said that is inaccurate. Like getting someone's name wrong and a writer going oh well it's close enough. It also floors me how many don't get GMAYL but I love what was said about the other songs, especially Love Spent.

If Madonna isn't popular on the charts anymore because of her age, then why does she release generic songs as singles if she knows the same result will be if she releases better songs?

The purpose of a single is to try to push the album. I agree with you actually, I would've preferred to see GB, IA, FF and LS as singles but I'm not delusional enough to think that ANY of those would've been hits because more than likely they would've had the same fate as the singles she did release. Releasing the most non-commercial songs from the album probably wouldn't make Interscope very happy either and it IS business too. And before someone screams BEDTIME STORY....HUMAN NATURE....YES, they were risky, BUT they were preceded by two massive hits.....actually 3 if you count IR. One of which (TAB) spent more weeks at number one on the BB100 than any of her other songs.

The truth is the US basically retired her after Music.

Thankfully COAD saved her career overseas, but now it has been already 8 years ever since... the COAD effect is expiring by the minute, from now on she better focus on solid albums and her public overseas. The US is sadly a long lost case.

Actually, you are agreeing with me. Madonna was angry making this album, yet we have GMAYL, GGW and TUTR as singles? This has to be the first time that Madonna has released something that she wasn't feeling. The rest of the album is about those feelings: Gang Bang, Love Spent, Falling Free... even I'm Addicted is about somebody who is unable to resist somebody that is like a drug: dangerous, addictive but harmful

Actually, GGW seems like the perfect anthem for a woman who's just getting over a divorce. I have felt like that myself after getting over break ups.....lol.....so I get it. I think MDNA goes through the range of emotions from deterioration of the relationship to the healing after it's been over a while.

I'd consider Cherish to be one of her most happy, peppy, pure pop moments. She sounds elated and in love on that track, yet TDDUP is one of her most heartbreaking songs. It perfectly encapsulates the feelings and mood at the end of a relationship. Yet both of those songs fit perfectly on LAP.

Anyone who in the US doesn't think her age plays a huge part in decreased airplay for the last 15 years or so is an idiot. Sorry.

I think it's more complicated than that. Some people have pointed it out already,. It's age and the music delivered. There's an image and a message not connecting with the audiences. IMO it all feels like she's lost track because she hasn't been able to find the sort of art/balance she had mastered before. Both AL and COAD got knocked her out of her senses: she went too far away from mainstream (AL) and got scared, but then she went all out on the dancefloor (COAD) and it kinda worked, and thought that maybe that was the formula (HC, MDNA), but it has backfired. I trust her, though, she'll get that marvelous and critically acclaimed last album before she retires, I can feel it! :)

And about GGW... eew... I'd like to pretend that song never happened.

Hacking attempt!

Wow! Ok. I think he said something offensive or something. That's way worse!

I think it's more complicated than that. Some people have pointed it out already,. It's age and the music delivered. There's an image and a message not connecting with the audiences. IMO it all feels like she's lost track because she hasn't been able to find the sort of art/balance she had mastered before. Both AL and COAD got knocked her out of her senses: she went too far away from mainstream (AL) and got scared, but then she went all out on the dancefloor (COAD) and it kinda worked, and thought that maybe that was the formula (HC, MDNA), but it has backfired. I trust her, though, she'll get that marvelous and critically acclaimed last album before she retires, I can feel it! :)

And about GGW... eew... I'd like to pretend that song never happened.

Madonna has had bad timing with everything since American Life. Shooting the video for American Life in February, then releasing it in March, right when the war started..... bad timing. It wasn't her fault. No one knew when or if the war would start. It just makes you think, if the video had been shot in January and released in February maybe the whole project would have been received differently. Even if people still didn't like the song, they would have understood the context because of the video and Hollywood would have gotten a chance on radio.

Regarding Confession, it did really well internationally, but not so much in the US. Even though the album sold almost double what AL sold, the music was not what radio was playing. Fast forward to now where radio is all dance music. Again, bad timing. Not Madonna's fault. Just makes you think how Hung Up would have done now.

YES BUT WHO CARES?!!!! As a fan of Madonna I love MADONNA'S BODY OF WORK AND HER PERFORMANCES. I don't love her for number ones, chart positions, album sales, singles sales or any of that shit!!!