The Secret Video

Chuck82

Guest Rachelle of London

I'm sure today's Madonna would definitely choose Don't Stop as a single if BS was just released :angry:

Secret is so lush and full of contrasting vibes! How come she's never worked with this director ever again? And also, who is Melodie McDaniel, what else has she/he done? Anyone knows?

she does a lot of commercials, I remember a newspaper interview with her a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken she hasnt done many music videos

I'm sure today's Madonna would definitely choose Don't Stop as a single if BS was just released :angry:

She already has released something similar: GGW

Hey, ey, ey, ey

Like a girl gone wild

A good girl gone wild

I'm like, hey, ey, ey, ey

Like a girl gone wild

A good girl gone wild

Secret is so lush and full of contrasting vibes! How come she's never worked with this director ever again? And also, who is Melodie McDaniel, what else has she/he done? Anyone knows?

She also did The Cranberries' "Linger." Both great videos. And similar too.

Before directing "Secret", Melodie McDaniel photographed Madonna on the set of "Rain" for promotional photos (later used on select "Rain" sleeves and the US, Canada and Japan "I'll Remember" covers) and in 1994 for Vibe magazine:

Madonna+-+I%27ll+Remember+-+5%22+CD+SING

R-77802-1179165937.jpeg.jpg

R-77802-1179165953.jpeg.jpg

Madonna+-+I+Remember+-+%28CD+Single%29+-

Friday+Japan+March+17+1995+page+29+previ

Dennis-Rodman-and-Madonna.jpg

1994+Melodie+McDaniel+Vibe+2180+X+3000++

Apparently the woman who is bathing Madonna during the whole "baptism" portion of the video is non other than Mama Elsa from he Real Housewives of Miami. At the time Madonna would speak of a spiritual mother she befriended in Miami, where she was living at the time. And how it was she who was in the video with her. Well that woman is Mama Elsa. This relationship has been referenced casually by Elsa, Andy Cohen, and Elsa's daughter numerous times on WWHL.

Apparently the woman who is bathing Madonna during the whole "baptism" portion of the video is non other than Mama Elsa from he Real Housewives of Miami. At the time Madonna would speak of a spiritual mother she befriended in Miami, where she was living at the time. And how it was she who was in the video with her. Well that woman is Mama Elsa. This relationship has been referenced casually by Elsa, Andy Cohen, and Elsa's daughter numerous times on WWHL.

Didn't know that.

yes! I wanted to say she should have used footage of the different hairstyle cos it looked great! this is one of MANY M classics that get ignored by UK radio. I only ever hear Like a Prayer, Vogue, Hung Up and Borderline. Out of 70 top 10 hits they just replay the same ones.

The album would *not* have sold 6 million in the USA; TAB was a big hit, and the album was at around 1.6m scanned by the time it ran its course.

Doesn't the love interest in the video resemble her latest boy toy?

I always loved the remix video:

Wasn't there a bunch of footage released from the first version of this video, with different hair?

Oh yes I'd forgotten about this. Cringe @ the remix though blah! I have never really cared for any of Juniors work.

Oh yes I'd forgotten about this. Cringe @ the remix though blah! I have never really cared for any of Juniors work.

I used to love the mix, but his work certainly didn't age well. I remember, at the time, speeding up the vocals without changing the pitch was new technology, and MTV News did a short feature on the making of this remix. It was very interesting! I watched it many times :lol:

The album would *not* have sold 6 million in the USA; TAB was a big hit, and the album was at around 1.6m scanned by the time it ran its course.

Doesn't the love interest in the video resemble her latest boy toy?

I agree. That figure is crazy. I suppose if all four singles were as big as TAB, she could have done that, but that was never a possibility. I do think the album could have sold another 500K or even more if the third and fourth singles had been more radio-friendly.

My single choices, after Secret, were:

Take a Bow

Don't Stop (just to liven things up a little between ballads)

Forbidden Love

I mean, HN and BS had no chance of being hit singles, but I can see why she released them. I can't imagine those 2 videos NOT being part of her library. They are among her best. In fact, all the videos from BS were pretty damn sensational. It was just weird to see the enormous success of TAB followed by the relative flop singles that immediately proceeded it.

BS is such a beautiful video with

Take a Bow

Forbidden Love

I mean, HN and BS had no chance of being hit singles, but I can see why she released them. I can't imagine those 2 videos NOT being part of her library. They are among her best. In fact, all the videos from BS were pretty damn sensational. It was just weird to see the enormous success of TAB followed by the relative flop singles that immediately proceeded it.

I don't care about commercial success. BS the video and remixes and BAwards performance are mega iconica!

Take a Bow

Forbidden Love

BS and HN made complete sense from a creative/artistic standpoint, and I've always said I respected her decision to follow-up TAB with BS - it was a bold move and I think it COULD have worked, but just didn't. I disagree that it had no chance. It's easy to say in retrospect that it had no shot at being a hit, but at the time I remember thinking it did. It was a sort of return to a dance-y Madonna, and she was back on top at that point, so radio could have taken to it. She took a gamble with that one, commercially speaking. But TAB was such a big hit, and was still getting airplay, so releasing "Forbidden Love" or even "Don't Stop" after BS could have worked nicely. Most people might not have even known there was a single released in between. HN is a good song, and I know fans really like the video (not my favorite by a long shot), but it really cut the legs off the album at that point.

BS is such a beautiful video with

I don't care about commercial success. BS the video and remixes and BAwards performance are mega iconica!

I don't either. I'm just saying, back then, I did care, and I was coming off the high of 7 weeks at #1 with TAB.. it was a dramatic drop.

I was too busy enjoying the video and Pajama Party premiere for "Bedtime Story" to concern myself with its chart success. Can't see any of that shit happening for "Don't Stop". :lol: Plus the remixes were so good. You could already get the single on import during the last, looong weeks of "Take A Bow"'s US run so I was already in full on "Bedtime Story" mode before it was even out in the states.

Anyway, "Bedtime Story" and "Human Nature" are important singles and videos in Madonna's cannon and it's hard to imagine any other songs from the album replacing them.

Anyway, "Bedtime Story" and "Human Nature" are important singles and videos in Madonna's cannon and it's hard to imagine any other songs from the album replacing them.

Exactly, their chart run and lack of "success" is totally irrelevant. Those two releases are very important in the makeup of her DNA.

Guest Rachelle of London

Yup Elsa and Marisol are very good friends with M. They are old family friends of Ingrid

one of my faves....everyone knows BS is my favourite era! Everything was so perfect... I kind of like that it is an underrated era and gem, it just adds to it mystique

Yes! My friends and I are having a BS listening party to celebrate its birthday tonight. Wish you could come Chelle!