Is Madonna the most disrespected legend?

madonnasuperfan01

Honestly guys, i just read some articles bashing her AGAIN with the typical crap (her age, "immature" music,...) and i came to the conclusion that she's probably the less respected music legend. ALL the others big legends are constantly being praised sometimes for their past work alone. Not Madonna, she apparently constantly need to prove herself even after a 30 years old career. People still try to say she's "talentless and hit it big only because of her ass".

The medias are constantly calling her a "flop" even if she's still one of the most relevant and best selling artists of the 80's right now. People bash her for her age and the fact that she's doing EDM but i have yet to see someone like Cher (also doing EDM music and way older than Madonna) getting the same treatment (not that she deserves it but i HATE double standards).

And of course let's not forget how the medias try to sell Gaga as a "new and better" Madonna, some even saying she already surpassed Madonna somehow. It seems that the medias just can't praise Gaga without also bashing Madonna in a way or another. I mean i just don't understand how a pop girl only 5 years into her career (and already declining) can be so much more respected than the Queen of Pop herself.

What's your opinion about it guys? Is Madonna the less respected music legend? Discuss.

I think media likes to stir up shit. They like to pit up artsits against each other. They also like to tear them down and to diminish their achievemnts, impact, contribution. Human nature, to be honest.

I think media likes to stir up shit. They like to pit up artsits against each other. They also like to tear them down and to diminish their achievemnts, impact, contribution. Human nature, to be honest.

But i have yet to see another legend getting as much shit as she does. Most are respected based on their past accomplishements alone but clearly not Madonna.

I read some good stuff about Madonna....but she should get more respect. I think the media has given up calling Gaga the new Madonna.

I don't think so unfortunately. The medias are still kissing Gaga's ass to no end. On some Gaga articles you can see a sudden Madonna diss when the article wasn't even about her in the first place :manson:

Madonna is one of the few legends who can still compete, whereas other legends:

Do not get at least a top 10 hit off current albums

Play "greatest hits" type shows when performing live

Rely less and less on physicality as they age

Go along with the public perception that their glory days are behind them

If Madonna was similar in these respects, I think she'd get less flack, but she isn't. And she defies her age physically. She is still bucking "what's expected". If she wasn't, I'd wager the media would pay more respect to her legend status. But they want to shake her off the current music scene first. Madonna is one of the only legendary stars who is pitted against and compared to current artists, and that's the price she pays to compete on their playing field.

The rude and dismissive statements about Madonna in the press are par the course when you're supporting a divisive figure. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a response to such uninvited hostility. But Madonna's tougher than the words and nasty opinion given by the truly irrelevant ones: the media itself.

Madonna is one of the few legends who can still compete, whereas other legends:

Do not get at least a top 10 hit off current albums

Play "greatest hits" type shows when performing live

Rely less and less on physicality as they age

Go along with the public perception that their glory days are behind them

If Madonna was similar in these respects, I think she'd get less flack, but she isn't. And she defies her age physically. She is still bucking "what's expected". If she wasn't, I'd wager the media would pay more respect to her legend status. But they want to shake her off the current music scene first. Madonna is one of the only legendary stars who is pitted against and compared to current artists, and that's the price she pays to compete on their playing field.

EXACTLY. :clap:

Madonna is a controversial figure. There's her music and there's the superstar. Other legends are not public figures, she's the most famous woman on the planet and has been for at least 25 years. She's also not a nostalgia act. And the way she can fight over time makes people who can't very bitter. Society needs people to fail especially if they are successful. They need it to be reassured and Madonna do not give them that. She was never involved into a drug scandal or having a public meltdown. The closest she got to it was in 94 at the David Letterman show and it was a joke. The second time was during David' adoption and she never gave up. Nothing seems to break her. ome people admire it, some will do anything to find a way to make her break to prove something to themself and if they can't they will make up things. What you can't have or be you destroy. It's human nature.

The rude and dismissive statements about Madonna in the press are par the course when you're supporting a divisive figure. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a response to such uninvited hostility. But Madonna's tougher than the words and nasty opinion given by the truly irrelevant ones: the media itself.

Not just tougher, but also lowering oneself to the level of nasty opinions would ensure that she would eventually remain in the gutter with the "truly irrelevant ones."

I think that I read too many disrespecting articles about her now, but I remember reading so many positive articles about her around BS, ROL, Music, and Confessions. Some positive articles around Evita and American Life as well.

I vaguely remember the Erotica era being very negative toward her(very long time ago!!), but who gave a fuck since the album, singles, videos, and tour were awesome!

Guest HaveASit

Yes. And I think, even if she dies today, she still wil not receive the respect she deserves. People will need time to really understand her, something like 30 years from now. But, when she gets there, she will be remembered as one of the greatest women that ever walked this Earth.

She's endlessly picked apart in the media, but the general public (from what I've gathered) isn't as harsh towards her; whether its co-workers, family members, or random people that know i like Madonna, they usually acknowledge/ then dismiss her accomplishments by referring to her in the 'past tense.'

Shes was so hot. She was so influential. She was so successful...

BITCH she's still all of those things! Like, where you been at? :lol:

Guest Not4Pussies

stop focusing so much on those stupid negative articles/comments that have always been there and will always be there.

dont stress or worry about the hate towards madonna.

focus and enjoy her every day because you know the truth. you know who madonna is and what she represents to you.

stop focusing so much on those stupid negative articles/comments that have always been there and will always be there.

dont stress or worry about the hate towards madonna.

focus and enjoy her every day because you know the truth. you know who madonna is and what she represents to you.

:clap: This is a good ethos for everything you enjoy in life!

Yes, I honestly believe she is. Move aside Rodney. No, but seriously, people and the media are always making sly, rude statements or comments about her since DAY ONE! I'll never forget the era when Prince could do no wrong, and Madonna was just a whore. I was so upset because I was constantly reading articles of that sort. And it's never stopped. No matter what she does, she can't catch an honest break. The only time the media laid-off of her was during the ROL era.

I'll always stick up for her!

Absolutely yes. Not only from the media, but also from young and uneducated people that talk like they know everything. In general, people can't stand that Madonna has always done what she wants, she has been successful in it, both commercially and in terms of quality, and what they hate the most is that she's still doing it after 30 years. And of course she's a woman.

Absolutely yes. Not only from the media, but also from young and uneducated people that talk like they know everything. In general, people can't stand that Madonna has always done what she wants, she has been successful in it, both commercially and in terms of quality, and what they hate the most is that she's still doing it after 30 years. And of course she's a woman.

Great female artists have always been underrated.

Since day 1 of her 30 year career Madonna has been taking shit from the media,they have written her off time and time again. Accoring to them she was a talentless bimbo who would be forgotten about in 6 months! Through ambition,hard work and more importantly TALENT Madonna,within the first five years of her career became the biggest female star in the world! By the end of the 90's she was not only the most famous woman in the world,but also the most successful and most influential female pop star in music history!

I think what really pisses certain sections of the media off is that she has come back fighting every time they write her off,during the course of her career she has consistently manipulated the media to her advantage and took them on at their own game and WON! So they try their best to say she's old or ugly,and past her sell by date. They never give her the respect and admiration that she deserves. You would think by now they would admit defeat and realise that she isn't going anywhere soon! All the negative press makes her stronger,she has proven this for 30 years!! The list is endless of the subpar female artists she has seen off as pretenders to her throne!! Give the woman the respect she has EARNED!!!

Marilyn Monroe & Princess Diana are the 2 other iconic women of the 20th century who recieved the same kind of media attention during their lives. When they died they were both hailed as legends and lauded by the same media who gave them both so much shit when they were alive,it would be sad to think that Madonna will only get the media's true respect in death.