Madonna is on Anderson Cooper 360 tonight

le smoking

Guest Xanthium

Does anyone else think she is being overly negative in this project...seems to be too serious and focus on the negative. Sure the world has its problems but l dont think we have ever been more free and able to bring attention to injustice via new media and a much more compassionate generations coming up.

Even the film had no beauty or light, did not connect with me at all, l want to be inspired to change things, not depressed into it.

I think many things in society are better than ever. But the problem lies with the fact that people (possibly including Madonna) THINK things are worse because they are now privy to what happens in the world via social media and the internet. It's an illusion. It was actually much worse when we weren't exposed to and informed of everything. Perspective needs to be applied here.

I find it funny that people are saying she's too dark and serious about this, and that we are freer than ever....when she addressed that in the VICE interview, that we all seem to buy into the illusion that we are more free because of social media, the internet, our local conveniences, etc....but are we really? Or are we just living within our own little bubbles...some more privileged than others. What is it going to take to get people to raise their level of consciousness? As Kurt said, human nature in this day and age doesn't have a reaction until it either affects someone personally, or it's a horrific tragedy. And I agree. We don't get up off our asses and even give a damn until the shit hits the fan...and then far too often, it's too late.

I agree with Kurt420, Mensch and popeline, the safety and freedom and tolerance we're all buying into is the illusion. Don't get me wrong, in some ways we are better....but at what cost? And those small areas of progress, great. But somehow we seem to be missing the bigger picture. I think she wants people to see the bigger picture.

People fought for freedom and achieve some rights. We were born with the freedom and rights that others die to achieve. We take them for granted and sometimes we don't realize that what we enjoy nowadays is not that old.

Guest Xanthium

Of course we still need to overcome things in this world, as atrocities still happen every day. We must not be complacent or believe "isms" are over and done with. But to think we are less free than in the past is rather naive and kind of insulting. Compare the rights of blacks, gays, women, and other minorities just in the 1950s to now and it's pretty obvious we have it better now.

Of course we still need to overcome things in this world, as atrocities still happen every day. We must not be complacent or believe "isms" are over and done with. But to think we are less free than in the past is rather naive and kind of insulting. Compare the rights of blacks, gays, women, and other minorities just in the 1950s to now and it's pretty obvious we have it better now.

In the US.

I think that Madonna is also addressing the anger of some people over the increase in human rights. Some people ARE becoming more intolerant out of fear (of what I don't know) and verbally and physically persecuting people. Malala is is just one incident of someone who would not be denied of her rights by going to school but was the victum of people angry over the fact that she was able to.

Laws do move things forward but instead of abandoning the idea of changing the way people think and simply saying they are a lost cause I think the idea is to get through to people who are angry and fearful.

^I think that brings up a good point - often the legal rights are on paper, but the collective consciousness of the public has not risen or evolved. So there is push-back, which can become tragic and violent and scary...and to a certain degree that is what happens as things move forward, there are always people wanting to drag it back (for whatever reasons). But it seems that around the world... and certainly in the US as with what's happening right now... the push-back, the resistance, has reached a fever pitch where people are wearing their ignorances on their sleeves with a sense of pride and a smile on their faces...and with it comes the rise of extreme right-wing conservatism that then preys on and panders to those fears, and has certainly risen to power in the US and abroad. Again, it's not that there wasn't this before, there certainly was....but it has reached a level that is frightening...and with all our modern conveniences and technology, we get wrapped up in our own little bubbles and forget the bigger picture. We've bought into the illusion that we are freer and more progressive...but are we really?

I think this project is much more about raising the collective consciousness, starting with your own. Question, challenge, analyze everything you believe and think you know...

Guest Xanthium

There has always been push back and those who wear their ignorance on their sleeves. At least now we have anti discrimination laws to protect victims and minorities. Sure, nothing's perfect. But it's much better to be a black man now than 1950 or a Jew in Germany now than 1930. And the collective public consciousness absolutely has risen. The viewpoints on gay rights alone show the younger generations being much more open and accepting. While I do think technology makes some apathetic and desensitized, it also has made some more aware, political and unified.

There has always been push back and those who wear their ignorance on their sleeves. At least now we have anti discrimination laws to protect victims and minorities. Sure, nothing's perfect. But it's much better to be a black man now than 1950 or a Jew in Germany now than 1930. And the collective public consciousness absolutely has risen. The viewpoints on gay rights alone show the younger generations being much more open and accepting. While I do think technology makes some apathetic and desensitized, it also has made some more aware, political and unified.

In the U.S

Yes, all this has happened...and it's good. Very good. But not all of the world has gotten there yet...horrific things are still going on in the world, right-wing conservative parties are gaining ground, and many parts of the world are as bad as those in the 50s or 30s where you get killed just for being who you are.

And even in the places where it seems so much has gotten better, often times to only looks that way on the outside. Go deeper and all the "isms" and "phobias" and more of society are alive and well....just in different forms. They lurk under the surface...but often present themselves now with a smile and politeness ("Love the sinner, hate the sin", etc.). The ugly is still there...it just gets packaged and delivered in a different way.

Like I said before, we have to get out of our bubbles and see the bigger picture...and the bigger picture still needs A LOT of work.

Two sides (or more) to every story and/or perspective.

Guest Xanthium

Yes, all this has happened...and it's good. Very good. But horrific things are still going on in the world, and many parts of the world are as bad as those in the 50s or 30s where you get killed just for being who you are.

And even in the places where it seems so much has gotten better, often times to only looks that way on the outside. Go deeper and all the "isms" and "phobias" and more of society are alive and well....just in different forms. They lurk under the surface...but often present themselves now with a smile and politeness ("Love the sinner, hate the sin", etc.). The ugly is still there...it just gets packaged and delivered in a new way.

Like I said before, we have to get out of our bubbles and see the bigger picture...and the bigger picture still needs A LOT of work.

Two sides (or more) to every story and/or perspective.

Yes I absolutely agree that in many places there has been zero progress. I was just trying to show that in many places there has been tremendous positive change.

Yes I absolutely agree that in many places there has been zero progress. I was just trying to show that in many places there has been tremendous positive change.

Absolutely, and I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring that positive change... but as I see in my everyday life, yes, we all have more rights (in certain ways), and we're all going about our lives in what seems, on the outside, to be much better...and it is...and yet, I encounter so much subconscious homophobia, racism, sexism, etc. in so many people that leaves me so incredibly frustrated, because I would think so many of these people should have known better by now. But they don't.

That's why I said it seems like we've only addressed the surface level. We're more willing to put a smile on our faces and play along for the sake of playing nice ... but the overall consciousness - in some ways - hasn't really changed all that much.

I don't know where people who think things are better live and i would like to know in fact because here it sucks. In a year we had millions of people marching in the streets against gays. Hatred and racism wether it's because of the colour of the skin or because of being poor is at an all time high. Just this week the roms whom whatever you think about them are humans living in inhuman conditions were blasted by officials here from the left wing and very nastily as if they were animals. Everyday is another social category of people who gets insulted by another. People have lost their minds and don't have qualms anymore about praising Marine Le Pen or having a lynch mob. It's horrible. In Greece a fascist group, auto-proclaim neo-nazi part of the government is responsible for the stabbing of a raper opposing them. 111 bodies were found in the sea after a boat full of migrant hopefuls drowned in Lampedusa last night....

On a lighter note the infamous Rocco interruption :)

As i said i don't know where you live but if things are cool there please tell me so i'll move.

Everything you said is true! You have my support. And let me add the news that last week in Serbia "Gay Pride" was banned again.

Edited by side_streets

Guest Xanthium

Absolutely, and I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring that positive change... but as I see in my everyday life, yes, we all have more rights (in certain ways), and we're all going about our lives in what seems, on the outside, to be much better...and it is...and yet, I encounter so much subconscious homophobia, racism, sexism, etc. in so many people that leaves me so incredibly frustrated, because I would think so many of these people should have known better by now. But they don't.

That's why I said it seems like we've only addressed the surface level. We're more willing to put a smile on our faces and play along for the sake of playing nice ... but the overall consciousness - in some ways - hasn't really changed all that much.

Yes the problems minorities face are definitely still there. It's just not as bad as it used to be. But we still need to fight the good fight!

Yes the problems minorities face are definitely still there. It's just not as bad as it used to be. But we still need to fight the good fight!

Xanthie, Popeline already replied to you twice with "In the U.S.". Your answers always seem very narrow minded and limited to the place you live by constantly repeating "it's not as bad as it used to be". That may apply to the U.S. and most part of Europe, Australia, Canada, the western world in general. BUT there are many many countries on the planet were atrocities happen everyday. Where it's just as bad as 20 years ago or in some African countries or Islamic countries even worse. This project is not only for the U.S. it is meant globally.

Guest Xanthium

Xanthie, Popeline already replied to you twice with "In the U.S.". Your answers always seem very narrow minded and limited to the place you live by constantly repeating "it's not as bad as it used to be". That may apply to the U.S. and most part of Europe, Australia, Canada, the western world in general. BUT there are many many countries on the planet were atrocities happen everyday. Where it's just as bad as 20 years ago or in some African countries or Islamic countries even worse. This project is not only for the U.S. it is meant globally.

Well I do apologize if I was coming across as US-centric. My point was not to disregard the plights of non-western countries and the fact that there has been absolutely no progress. I was just trying to show that in some places there has been tremendous positive change. I was never trying to apply this notion to everywhere. That would be presumptuous and callous. I hope that clarifies things. I would never want to make light of or disregard the struggles that certain countries and their people still face.

Things have improved a lot in the US and Europe as far as equal rights under the law, but there are still anti gay hate crimes that go all the time. I live in Washington, DC which has equal marriage and a human rights law that gives the LGBT community every equal right to jobs, housing etc. Yet you constantly read about hate crimes against gay people or transgender people happening all the time. Same with South Africa. They unlike a lot of countries in Africa have equal rights for gay people under the law, but they have those rapes of lesbians that go by people trying to change their orientation. It seems like the law has changed for the better, but what is in a lot of people's hearts hasn't really changed. There are still a lot of people whose consciousness needs to change and evolve, and that is what Madonna is talking about, not just legal protections.