A long, long time ago...

Iconic Fetus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BIAi3Oo7To

i'm obsessed with this song, i just rediscovered two days ago and i've been listening non-stop, her voice is perfect, the melody, even the video is beautiful even if it's the part two of Beautiful Stranger.

i lover her voice on the chorus, and mostly when she signs:

This'll be the day that I die

Her arms look so hot toned and fit, and her tits bouncing all over the time, i need her to sing this on the new tour.

haha I knew this thread was gonna be about American Pie. The remixes were very good. They mix well w/ Die Another Day... this will be the day that I die...

Guest bluejean

I admit I do enjoy listening to this every so often however I think it was a strange choice to cover this classic song. It's like if someone tried to cover Vogue and cut out some of the verses. Some songs shouldn't be redone.

...In a galaxy far, far away, The real life Will&Grace. I love this song and I feel that the lyrics that were chosen were great, they touch on subjects that she's sang about before. I heard this on the radio only once, sandwiched between Jessica Simpson and JLO, where are they now? :chuckle: The tail end of M's American radio reign.

Guest Rachelle of London

I love this song too! I think because it was such an iconic song in the first placxe, people just couldnt "accept" Madonna singing it! I loved it, wasnt it no1 here aswell!

I LOVE her version of American Pie, it's so beautiful. For me it's as good as the original. Of course people hated it because it came from her, it was so typical. But Don McLean himself liked her version so everything's good :thumbsup:

This is a pretty good track, but don't listen to it much. I was happy to see the OK video for the song on the Celebration DVD, but it sucked that it was excluded from the Celebration CD compilation. Hopefully, one day there will be a more comprehensive compilation (with great artwork!!) containing all of Madonna's remastered singles. That would be a great treat for fans considering she has such a dedicated fan base.

I don't get the hate either.

The original version was boring and long.

Madonna reinvented it and made it short and sweet.

THIS

and her voice and the video are beautiful

Always liked this - she put her own personal spin on a very well known song; always a good idea if doing a cover version...

though the editing of the video is interesting; the disappearing (then reappearing) tiara :biggrin:

I know people gave her flack for covering this song, and many fans label it as one of her worst covers..., But I adore it! WO saved it with his production. I love the guitars. I love the blips and bubble beats, and her vocals are gorgeous. Plus the video is quite good, mainly for her dancing around braless in a pair of low cut jeans that showed off her crack. Plus she looked so cute with the tiara.

I agree, the remixes are amazing. Good stuff to work out to.

But I think the best remix is the one that wasn't completed on time to be included on the maxi, the JB Remix.

:wow:

What!?! Do you know how many references are in this song? It's far from "boring and long". Fuck sake!

Yes, Madonna's version is beautiful too. I love both.

What!?! Do you know how many references are in this song? It's far from "boring and long". Fuck sake!

What do the references have to do with anything? It's not going to make people appreciate the song just from that. I agree with what Horn said. I can appreciate and understand it's importance and legacy in the world of music, but I really just don't care for the don mclean song.

the same kinda goes with imagine, however, I don't give a rats ass about M's version.

Back in the day I wasn't big on the song or video but lately I've really come to love her look for it. What did she call it on TRL, "My trailer trash look" or something like that? It's pretty much amazing. The song itself still isn't my thing, her voice is nice and the verses she chose are perfect for her but somehow it just doesn't gel as a whole. Richard's extended mix (the dubby one) is very good but his radio mix was crap. The Calderone mixes were a non-event. Oh, I also love the single cover. Easily one of my all-time faves. I know it's super airbrushed but I love that Halston-esque dress and her pose, so much attitude. I also liked the simplicity of the font -- clean and minimal. So while I don't really like the song much everything else related to it is very good.

I don't get the hate either.

Madonna reinvented it and made it short and sweet.

I always thought that of the original version, and when Madonna covered it, I think she did it justice and edited it down perfectly. Don Mclean even approved. I will admit though, part of me wishes she did cover the complete song.

And I don't get why people say this is her "worst cover"? She's done very few covers as it is. This is actually quite good. It basically remained true to the original, but had a fresh updated sound to it. She sings great on this version.

The song is nostalgic but the original feels dark under reminiscing in the song talking about tragedy despite the fond memories. Madonna's version is more celebratory and nostaligic in possibly for her remembering the time the song actually came out which would have put her around 12. I'm guessing it's celebrating the people of America coming through difficult times and showing optimism as well as diversity growing despite difficulty and obstacles still present.

Let's face it. Classic rock fans or rock fans in general don't like the edge taken away.