Between the Bars - Cover by Chris Garneau

Phineaspoe

During her Reddit interview, Madge mentioned that her favorite soundtrack was Pedro Almodovar's The Skin I Live In. I love that movie but never thought of checking out the soundtrack. Madge inspired me to do so.

Bought it, and look what I found - a piano, slow cover of Elliot Smith's Between the Bars. I love that Madonna subtly foreshadowed that she was going to cover this song (in this way) by mentioning this OST, and that clearly she was inspired by this version.

Personally, I like Madonna's passion and heartbreak better.

Still, thought some of you guys would appreciate it:

I love that soundtrack and always listen carefully to what music influences her. Half the people at the street screening had no idea the score was from W.E. ... It's a shame really considering how beautiful it is and how it enhanced the two films in two drastically different ways.

Guest Not4Pussies

the soundtracks to Almodovar's films are always great. my favorite is Talk To Her.

i also enjoy the soundtracks to W.E. and A Single Man and the Frida soundtrack is in my top ten favorite albums of all time.

The soundtrack to W.E. has become one of my favorite albums, period. Have not seen the film.

A Single Man is really good, too.

I'm going to check Talk to Her (one of my favorite movies ever! Again, don't know why I haven't checked out the OST!!!) and Frida.

His voice doesn't fit very well, it's obviously that M's version was inspired on this one but M's is way better.

I think you have to be open to the interpretation. We all tend to favor Madonna, so hearing an unknown song like this for the first time, many usually gravitate to the first version they heard which they liked. I think this version is very close to Madonna's unlike the original. I like the original as well.

Hoping Madonna has made a studio version or plans to do so. I bet she would sound beautiful on a studio track.