Another way of touring?

karbatal

Ok, so Madonna was the first one ever (i think) that changed the concept of a concert. Before BAT, every concert was about singing this song and then this one, and then a ballad and then another one... but she created the 4 concepts concert, with different sets, impersonations... As she very cleverly says in TOD, "it's an emotional journey".

Then U2 came with Zoo Tour and changed the concept adding spectacular visuals. And that changed Madonna's touring too, not with GS, but with DWT onwards.

Afterwards, the tour have been more and more sophisticaded. There's not only choreography, but acrobatics. Not only visuals, but conceptual clips. Sometimes you feel you're watching Cirque de Soleil, the level is already so high up that the only way is giving even more.

My question is: the only way is up? Or maybe it's time for another concept? I know it's silly and you can't compare much much much lesser artists like Take That with Madonna ok? But Take That were the first to add a second stage in the middle of the arena. They go there through a tunnel or they cross through a hanging way... And when they are in the middle they are so near the audience, and there's when they relax, they sing along, they joke with the audience, until they go back to the main stage.

That's just an idea. I think there's much more than giving more visuals and acrobatics every couple of years, it's time to create something new.

what do you think, babes?

Well, I say she refine the whole 'tour segment' formula and make things more cohesive: for example, BAT & the Girlie Show were both journey's in the sense that they had a begging, middle, & end where as the tours as of late (THOUGH FABULOUS) have been... disjointed.

The segments themselves are like mini concerts, but lumped together, I can't really see a connection. But maybe thats what people like about her concerts. My cousin, who went to S&S with me, said something like "Wow! It's like a fashion show! So many theme changes!"

For me, she doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, just dumb things down; I'd like for the next tour to be more like a play/musical in the sense that theres an overall theme throughout. Ditch the mega-screens and bring the narrative back!

Guest SecretGarden

Madonna didn't really change the concept of touring, I mean there were tours before BA which had narratives and such. She just did it extremely well.

I would like her next tour to rely less on screens and more on actual stage props, oh and less dancers.

Actually, Kate Bush's only tour ever in 1980 was very thematic and theatrical. She even pioneered the headset mic. Not saying Madonna ripped off or even was inspired by Kate, but Blond Ambition was not the very first to utilize a staging and make the audience think. :-)

I think that nowadays she has too many dancers on stage and they are not playing a character on their own like the dancers of BAT, GS or CT. Those 20+ dancers of SS and MDNA are very disposable and i can't even remember their faces since they don't interact with Madonna in a narrative type of story telling. Of course you have some highlights like that japanese tranny but that is mainly due his androgynous look than his presence and interaction with Madonna in a narrative.

There is something about her 1990 and 1993 tours that are missing nowadays and that is the connection that she has with those dancers in a way that in the end of the show you just feel they are part of a family and are not just "there" to fill an empty space.

i'd like a change with less dancers, less acrobatics, less interludes, some sort of VT, all more focused to her and her songs with a great band, but i love the actual concept too :laugh:

i'd like a change with less dancers, less acrobatics, less interludes, some sort of VT, all more focused to her and her songs with a great band, but i love the actual concept too :laugh:

Agreed. I like the format of her tours now, but if she's going to change she should do the complete opposite and do a stripped down tour just focused on the band and the songs.

I love the visuals, but my fav moment in CT is when she starts LIWB and then comes to Drowned World. She 's tired, beautiful, talks with the audience, sings the next song so beautifully...

But its the contrast that makes that momnnt great

But of course, tours have become more thematic and cinematic, but truth is, she didn't really invent that wheel. If anything, she took from groups like Queen, Kiss, and solo acts like David Bowie and Elton John and elevated it. They all were quite theatrical and dramatic and put on great rock shows. And even U2 was quite extravagant with their touring before BA. I'm sure many of these acts I mentioned, if they had the technology and stamina Madonna has now, they would have been just as creative as she has been. I really feel that U2 has always been a step a head of Madonna regarding tours being quite cinematic. I can't say that are currently as great a she is, but then that can come down subjectiveness since I'm a huge fan of Madonna.

I love her tours,but I would really like for her to do a simpler,back-to-basics type show.I'd like to see less dancers and a show that's focused more on the music,the *band and her backup singers*.Remember how wonderful the Girlie Show was? It featured alot of theatrics and dancing,but it also featured Donna and Nicki playing a prominent role.It also spotlighted the incredible band she had at the time....the show was very *musical*.I'd like to see her get back to that.

But of course, tours have become more thematic and cinematic, but truth is, she didn't really invent that wheel. If anything, she took from groups like Queen, Kiss, and solo acts like David Bowie and Elton John and elevated it. They all were quite theatrical and dramatic and put on great rock shows. And even U2 was quite extravagant with their touring before BA. I'm sure many of these acts I mentioned, if they had the technology and stamina Madonna has now, they would have been just as creative as she has been. I really feel that U2 has always been a step a head of Madonna regarding tours being quite cinematic. I can't say that are currently as great a she is, but then that can come down subjectiveness since I'm a huge fan of Madonna.

well, for pop/rock band i think it all started with Pink Floyd, regarding visuals and props integrated to the show, as the U2, even if i loved them, their shows, after theZoo tour , always seemed to me "put on some spectacular special effect to attract the masses" (something that they don't need), imo

I like the format of her tours now, but if she's going to change she should do the complete opposite and do a stripped down tour just focused on the band and the songs.

That would be refreshing to see! Remember that part in the Girlie Show where Madonna,Nicki and Donna are sitting on stools,singing "Rain"? I want more moments that like!

I think she should try and do two concepts at the same time: do half of the tour dates in stadiums/arenas with big production just the way she does now, and then the other half of the tour dates do more stripped down versions in smaller venues (like her promo tours of recent albums).

As for the concept of the tours, I like the 4-segments arrangement, but she should definitely get more creative with them because I think some segments (like the first one in SST, masculine/feminine in MDNAT, and other segments in RIT) are not very cohesive or defined, and a bit uninspired. This would't obviously be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that other segments are superb, and one can see how the concept was well thought out and carefully planned (Like all (except SST) her opening segments in recent tours, for instance).

I think a few artists (particularly Bowie) prior to Madonna initiated some of the elements of the kind of theatrical pop tours we have now, but I think it's Madonna who placed those elements together (plus added crucial ones of her own) in an impactful and recognizably cohesive way and institutionalized the whole practice. It's like the concept of thematic reinvention, in the Pop world it's, once again, Bowie, who provided the seed, but it's Madonna who tended the tree that everybody now emulates (or tries to). Even Joan Crawford (though not a pop star/musician) did the whole reinvention thing way before. But through Madonna, reinvention becomes de rigueur.

I don't know if Madonna should reinvent the wheel once again when it comes to touring. Maybe she could further push the current boundaries and just continue to make exceptional, standard-busting tours. But art is never static, and maybe something entirely new could crop up and maybe/hopefully Madonna would have a hand in it.

As to props vs. screens, Madonna combined both spectacularly with Gang Bang, etc.

Oh i agree with the dancers! And yes, i love how she used them in the CT. To me, the CT is just the real Madonna in terms of focus, storytelling, warmth and intelligence.

Of course, MDNA is far superior in terms of show itself, all those visuals, all that creativity, Madonna's powerful presence... but i like it more when it's more cohesive in every way.

Definitely not the Kylie bird bath but I could imagine a water feature like a fish tank with a digital screen as a background and strong lighting. I could imagine the strings of Frozen with rhythmic motions and electronic dance numbers with a more modern style with strobe lighting effect. Well it works in my head anyway lol.