I WANT A NEW ALBUM

elijah

How many years till we get what we all want  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be an eternity again?

• Next year
    • NEVER

Hmm.., Maybe the album format in not restrictive in and of itself, but I do think that the "impact" or "essence" of a pop album is severely diminished without some sort of marker that will tie the songs down in our memory, for example. I think that a time and place needs to be marked down in our consciousness in order to fully realize the full potential of a song, otherwise it's just a tree falling in a forest where no one can hear. Without music videos that cannot be seen, without promo, without life experiences that can serve as "markers" we get an MDNA. I personally love MDNA and consider it a full and complete album, but pop songs are essentially without value if they do not connect with a cultural time-and-place regardless if they are good or not. Maybe this is why many fans connect with her older stuff, but constantly criticize her new work - because their youth played a part in connecting life events to the music.

I just think that the traditional album serves no purpose in Madonna's NEW world of uneventful releases, poorly-made music videos, and diminished album sales. She needs some sort of spectacle to connect the music to the culture. She is a pop star, after all.

I agree with much of what you said.I want a new Madonna album,but I want the new album to be an EVENT.I don't want it to be released,chart highly the first week,then quickly tumble down the charts.I want Madonna to focus on aggressive promotion,this time.

I don't see why you need music videos or promotional interviews to give songs meaning. Why can't you use your imagination to create your own associations with the songs? It seems like a lot of people are looking for outside validation to tell them it's okay to like something. Just because you are older doesn't mean you don't still have memories or experiences. Use your imagination and not rely on outside sources like what the media tells you. I like albums just because there are more songs. There's more of a chance you will really love and want to replay over and over at least a couple of songs. I would be devastated if she released just one single or an EP where I didn't like any of the songs, regardless of whether they were big hits or not. Every album by her there are at least a few songs I love and play over and over and really touch me. With a single or an EP release that might not happen.

I don't see why you need music videos or promotional interviews to give songs meaning. Why can't you use your imagination to create your own associations with the songs? It seems like a lot of people are looking for outside validation to tell them it's okay to like something. Just because you are older doesn't mean you don't still have memories or experiences. Use your imagination and not rely on outside sources like what the media tells you. I like albums just because there are more songs. There's more of a chance you will really love and want to replay over and over at least a couple of songs. I would be devastated if she released just one single or an EP where I didn't like any of the songs, regardless of whether they were big hits or not. Every album by her there are at least a few songs I love and play over and over and really touch me. With a single or an EP release that might not happen.

A few songs, so you don't like any Madonna album completly?

almost agreed until the "poorly made videos".......

I chose my words poorly. I did not mean to suggest that they are bad. What I meant to say is that the music videos, post-MTV, have taken a back seat - as Madonna, herself, has stated. They, like all music vids, do not have the enormous budgets of the '90's, and lack viewership, as well. I meant to suggest a difference in the music vids in relative metrics - and not in quality. I think this is important because the music video medium is so integral to her career.

I'm very sympathetic to your case about having a full album as I enjoy lesser known songs, too; in fact, I became a fan at the turn of the century almost 20 years into her career when her presence in the general public was already way off its peak. Most of the songs I like are virtually unknown and/or even disliked by other fans.

Now that you brought up the point about needing external validation, I'm a little stumped. Maybe I do need that validation to some extent. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that Madonna thrives in visual mediums in which the music is showcased. It's a little scary for me to think that this whole area (the visual arts/pop spectacles/promotion) will increasingly, for whatever reason, play a smaller role in her career. Maybe this evolution is just something I need to get over. What I mean to say is that a lot of people can make music, but no one can master the art of spectacle and cultural relevancy like she can. This is a talent that I'm afraid she may waste or squander if she merely releases albums that are secondary to tours.

I will say this: I would be totally satisfied if she only plays new songs when she tours. I would have loved to see the entire MDNA album played on the MDNA tour. The older songs had their day - if I want to hear Like a Prayer again, I'll download it on iTunes. This way she can focus on showcasing the new songs and put life into them.

I'm very sympathetic to your case about having a full album as I enjoy lesser known songs, too; in fact, I became a fan at the turn of the century almost 20 years into her career when her presence in the general public was already way off its peak. Most of the songs I like are virtually unknown and/or even disliked by other fans.

Now that you brought up the point about needing external validation, I'm a little stumped. Maybe I do need that validation to some extent. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that Madonna thrives in visual mediums in which the music is showcased. It's a little scary for me to think that this whole area (the visual arts/pop spectacles/promotion) will increasingly, for whatever reason, play a smaller role in her career. Maybe this evolution is just something I need to get over. What I mean to say is that a lot of people can make music, but no one can master the art of spectacle and cultural relevancy like she can. This is a talent that I'm afraid she may waste or squander if she merely releases albums that are secondary to tours.

I will say this: I would be totally satisfied if she only plays new songs when she tours. I would have loved to see the entire MDNA album played on the MDNA tour. The older songs had their day - if I want to hear Like a Prayer again, I'll download it on iTunes. This way she can focus on showcasing the new songs and put life into them.

But the visuals still play a large role in her career. She has just moved them to another medium. Instead of music videos which you watch on MTV or VH1, she does her visuals as tour backdrops and how she presents her songs in her shows. You are dismissing her tours too much as not important, where they are very much about visuals and pop spectacle that you claim to be missing.

I enjoy new music, but I also still enjoy hearing a few older songs as well. I think the mix on her recent tours is good and she should keep that. She does a lot of new stuff, but she still does the classics that made most people fans. The performance of LAP on the last tour was one of the most moving spiritual performances I've ever seen. It was a very important part of the tour and without it the tour wouldn't be as great as it was. It's not just about hearing the song. Yes, you can listen to LAP at home, but it doesn't have the same effect as a whole arena singing along to it live. She brings her older songs to life as well in her tours. A new album isn't long enough to fill up a whole tour. She needs to do some older songs to make her shows the right length.

But the visuals still play a large role in her career. She has just moved them to another medium. Instead of music videos which you watch on MTV or VH1, she does her visuals as tour backdrops and how she presents her songs in her shows. You are dismissing her tours too much as not important, where they are very much about visuals and pop spectacle that you claim to be missing.

I enjoy new music, but I also still enjoy hearing a few older songs as well. I think the mix on her recent tours is good and she should keep that. She does a lot of new stuff, but she still does the classics that made most people fans. The performance of LAP on the last tour was one of the most moving spiritual performances I've ever seen. It was a very important part of the tour and without it the tour wouldn't be as great as it was. It's not just about hearing the song. Yes, you can listen to LAP at home, but it doesn't have the same effect as a whole arena singing along to it live. She brings her older songs to life as well in her tours. A new album isn't long enough to fill up a whole tour. She needs to do some older songs to make her shows the right length.

a) Yes, she moved the visuals to another medium, and I'm happy she did. The MDNA Tour wasn't her usual "theatrical" show, but "cinematic" in nature - if that makes sense. I realized that the concert WAS, essentially, her new music video which I've been waiting for. Genius!

b) The difference between our respective opinions is this: I am not dismissing the tour as an important conduit of her creative visuals; but, I am dismissing it as a dependable means of anchoring a musical career especially in terms of future musical output.

There is no doubt that old material is necessary for giant stadium tours. When you say that people want to hear the songs that "made" them fans in the first place I cannot help but worry that the operative word is "made" versus "making." I think that the demand for oldies, by hardcore fans and casual fans, will eventually overwhelm the requirement, if you will, to create NEW quality songs. By quality I mean something like a new LAP. No song, no matter how great it is, can become as epochal as LAP unless it is bred in a popular mainstream environment.

Therefore, I believe that many people, indeed, do feel that the performance of LAP on MDNA is "moving and spiritual," as you write, because they were waiting for that oldie, in particular. But, they (fans and general public) were waiting for it less so because it is a great song, but more so because they do not really care about the new stuff as much.

So, I worry about a new album (which is the topic of this thread) because it may ultimately play into the current environment (as MDNA did) whereby no new song has the capacity or potential to ever compete with the old classics. This is the primary reason why I think that she should re-imagine the release of new material.

you two are both bringing up good points Glinda and Cruncher9123.

I love the album format, and Madonna has delivered some of my favorite songs as deep tracks that never even see a live treatment on tour. And I can also see the worry about a new album facilitating only a reason to tour, never having a chance to gestate with the public and yield a true classic of it own to the Madonna canon of hits.

Since the LN deal started, I've thought that she should do 2 EPs between touring cycles. 5-7 tracks each with 6-9 months between releases. Not only would it be able to keep the quality control in check, but it would give both sets a chance to be familiar not only to fans, but the people buying concert tickets. This would also free her up in terms of cohesion for an entire album. She can take on whatever musical styles she wants. She has distinct themes in her shows, so why not have 2 different musical styles to showcase? This is of course just my wishful thinking.

Its clear from listening to MDNA which songs are "MADONNA Songs" and which were Madonna rewrites. As hated as B-day Song is around here, to me it a 100% certified Madonna Song. its cheeky and corny, but its catchy and clever too.

She'll do it her way of course. And I'm pretty sure I'll like it when its released, because I have for 30 years now. I just really think she needs to save the fashion lines, and perfumes, and gyms, shoes, etc. for when she's in her 60's.

Right now, she seems to have little time to effectively multitask like she has in the past. Its taking her longer to get the product out there, so why burden herself with Quantity over Quality?

a) Yes, she moved the visuals to another medium, and I'm happy she did. The MDNA Tour wasn't her usual "theatrical" show, but "cinematic" in nature - if that makes sense. I realized that the concert WAS, essentially, her new music video which I've been waiting for. Genius!

b) The difference between our respective opinions is this: I am not dismissing the tour as an important conduit of her creative visuals; but, I am dismissing it as a dependable means of anchoring a musical career especially in terms of future musical output.

There is no doubt that old material is necessary for giant stadium tours. When you say that people want to hear the songs that "made" them fans in the first place I cannot help but worry that the operative word is "made" versus "making." I think that the demand for oldies, by hardcore fans and casual fans, will eventually overwhelm the requirement, if you will, to create NEW quality songs. By quality I mean something like a new LAP. No song, no matter how great it is, can become as epochal as LAP unless it is bred in a popular mainstream environment.

Therefore, I believe that many people, indeed, do feel that the performance of LAP on MDNA is "moving and spiritual," as you write, because they were waiting for that oldie, in particular. But, they (fans and general public) were waiting for it less so because it is a great song, but more so because they do not really care about the new stuff as much.

So, I worry about a new album (which is the topic of this thread) because it may ultimately play into the current environment (as MDNA did) whereby no new song has the capacity or potential to ever compete with the old classics. This is the primary reason why I think that she should re-imagine the release of new material.

It's just a realistic fact of life that people are always going to want to hear some older material, because they relate those to a certain period in their lives. It doesn't matter what she does or how she releases an album, people will always want to hear some older songs. LAP is moving and spiritual not just because people are waiting for that song, but also because of how it's performed. It's just a great song with substance, not just because it's a hit or people know it. For me, I love the new stuff, but I also love LAP. They're all part of the same package for me. Why can't you like both her old and her new stuff? I don't see how performing older songs stops anyone from writing new quality songs.

Its clear from listening to MDNA which songs are "MADONNA Songs" and which were Madonna rewrites. As hated as B-day Song is around here, to me it a 100% certified Madonna Song. its cheeky and corny, but its catchy and clever too.

this!

Probably the beginning or the end of 2014, then she will tour in 2015.

I just want her to make mature and serious pop perfection, I don't want cheap teen pop songs (TUTR, GMAYL...) and no more generic sound.

I would be nice if she decides to work with old producers:

- Patrick Leonard - beautifull ballads with elements of classic music

- Shep Pettibone - dark songs, pop disco, sophisticated sound, melancholic ballads

- Andre Betts - jazzy moments mixed with pop

- Stephen Bray - he could make fanastic pop music with computer sound, but the final result won't be electropop

- Stuart Price - he should work on remixes and song reinventions on her next tour

I think she will choose one producer from MDNA album, I hope it will be Klas Ahlund. He already proved he is a great producer (Robyn's albums).

why eternity?

3,4 years arent long cos she did soooooo much and is still here and there, i think

Not in presentday way of thinking. Look at Rihana: she puts out 2 albums a year :). I dont say Madge should have the same productivity (cause its really rediculous!), but the reality is that it has been 5 years since her last hit (4 minutes). And even 4 minutes devided the public and lots of people disliked it. In my oppinion her last real smash, when everyone universally loved her was in 2005 with Hung Up! So basically thats the length of Rihanas career! We are in this situation, because she did have 3 years gap between COADF and HC and 4 years between HC and MDNA. In no way am I critising her. I agree that the best thing would be if she did come up with an album when she was really inspired! But from statistic point of view in the 80ties and 90ties she was basically doing an album every 2 years. And add to that that she was an acress that was actually shooting movies. I know that we are very lucky as fans. No other fan base has had the same amout of albums for sush a big period of time and with such a success. However I wish the new album was coming soon :)

hi,

Madryan summed up what I've being trying to say with the word "gestate." That would have saved me so much writing. Thanks.

Glindathegood:

Do you think that if LAP had been released on MDNA or Hard Candy it would eventually become the "classic" that it is having been released during her heyday? I actually don't think so. Let's be real: it's a pop song, not Beethoven's 5th. I don't think that most people would give it a chance to flourish. This is why I originally suggested that she release new stuff in a non-restrictive fashion so that she isn't left with the tour as the sole means of showcasing new material.

So, say she releases an album within the next two years and immediately goes on tour; we'll be back where we are now - liking the new songs, but lining up to see LAP again in a nostalgic haze.

Can't we give new material our luvin'

Probably the beginning or the end of 2014, then she will tour in 2015.

I just want her to make mature and serious pop perfection, I don't want cheap teen pop songs (TUTR, GMAYL...) and no more generic sound.

I would be nice if she decides to work with old producers:

- Patrick Leonard - beautifull ballads with elements of classic music

- Shep Pettibone - dark songs, pop disco, sophisticated sound, melancholic ballads

- Andre Betts - jazzy moments mixed with pop

- Stephen Bray - he could make fanastic pop music with computer sound, but the final result won't be electropop

- Stuart Price - he should work on remixes and song reinventions on her next tour

I think she will choose one producer from MDNA album, I hope it will be Klas Ahlund. He already proved he is a great producer (Robyn's albums).

NO, she should choose guy who did: I Fucked Up, Beautiful Killer, I Dont Give A F.

Guest SecretGarden

I would love a new album too, but I'm happy to wait as well.

Confessions, Hard Candy and MDNA are all great pop albums, but to me American Life was the last Madonna album that really showed personal depth lyrically but also tried something new musically, and while there are songs on the aforementioned albums are are personal; the production falls flat at times. Music and American Life sound more fresh to my ears than Confessions or MDNA. If she wants to stick within the electronic genre I do hope she brings back Mirwais.