The Evolution of M's Career: the so-called eras.

IslandBreeze

CJC’s thread about how complete the eras were inspired me to delineate how (in my opinion) M’s previous eras lasted. Primarily, I think the eras were not dictated solely by the music/videos but by an overall direction in her career. This is how I delineate and describe her eras (or should we call 'evolutions'):

600full-desperately-seeking-susan-photo.

THE STREET MADONNA - The Boy-Toy/Virgin Era - Post-disco grooves with 70's producers, sex-kitten with high pitched voice, tons of jewelry, lace, crosses, sunglasses, wild hair, girlie curves, the belly button...

Started: October 1982 - Everybody single is released

Ended: December 1985 - Begins to shoot Shanghai Surprise with golden blonde 1930s style hair

Duration: 3 years and 2 months

Albums: two studio albums

Singles: 10 (US), 12 (UK), 2 singles/airplay hits in other countries (Over and Over, Love Don't Live Here Anymore)

Most Iconic Looks: Lucky Star video, Wedding Dress, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes pink dress, DSS jacket + sunglasses,

Most Iconic Songs: Holiday, Borderline, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Crazy for You, Into The Groove

Iconic Moments: VMA '84, Desperately Seeking Susan becomes a hit, Virgin Tour, Time Magazine cover, Playboy/Penthouse photos, Live Aid '85, Sean Penn Wedding

Madonna+true_blue_03.jpg

THE HOLLYWOOD MADONNA - The Bushy Platinum Blonde/Actress Wannabe/Mrs. Penn Era - The sound is more Motown and Latin inspired pop than post-disco, songs start to deal with weightier subjects, the body becomes leaner and more toned, the look is more innocent and feminine, style is very retro channeling Hollywood blondes from Grace Kelly (Shanghai Surprise) to Marilyn (Who's That Girl), marries a movie star and tries (and fails) to start an acting career with two back to back box-office bombs.

Started: March 1986 - Live to Tell is release and a video with her new look follows soon afterwards.

Ended: April 1988 - Speed the Plow has its first preview on Broadway with Madonna sporting a brunette look.

Duration: 2 years and 1 month

Albums: one studio album, one partial soundtrack and one remixes compilation.

Singles: 7 (US), 8* (UK), two radio hits (Where's The Party & Spotlight) *I did not count re-releases

Most Iconic Looks: Live To Tell/Shanghai Surprise 1930s golden blond locks, bushy platinum blond cover of True Blue album, short crop and "Italian Do It Better" t-shirt, black corset and nipple tassels in OYH, white Marilyn-style dress (WTG and American Music Awards)

Most Iconic Songs: Live To Tell, PDP, TB, OYH, LIB

Iconic Moments: LTT new look, PDP controversy, Shanghai Surprise bombs in Aug. '86, MTV Lifetime Achievement Video Vanguard Award in Sept. '86, WTG Tour '87, WTG bombs in Aug. '87

Madonna-Like-a-Prayer-Raffa-Vergara-Rmx-

THE ARTISTE MADONNA - The Italian Hippie/Rebel Catholic/Divorcee/Artiste (ARTPOP...heheh) Era - "As close as pop music comes to art" sound, starts the era as a Broadway actress with brown hair and ends with a Louise Brooks inspired bob, separates from Sean Penn and ultimately divorces him, the style is starker and more dramatic, starts wearing all black more often, the look is more natural and less glamorous than previously, while previously controversy seemed to follow her, now she seems to purposely look for it.

Begins: May 1988 - Speed the Plow premieres on Broadway and soon after Madonna appears with Sandra Bernhard on Letterman (and insinuates being bisexual).

Ends: January 1990 – Keep It Together is released as the last single from LAP without Vogue, its intended B-Side track.

Duration: 1 year and 8 months

Albums: one studio album

Singles: 5 (US), 5 (UK), one airplay hit in other countries (Spanish Eyes)

Most Iconic Looks: brunette with burning crosses, EY video, Cherish video, Louise Brooks inspired Herb Ritts photo shoot

Iconic Moments: Letterman with SB, divorces Sean Penn on Jan. ’89, Pepsi commercial, LAP premiere, Vogue Magazine cover, EY at the VMAs

madonna16.jpg

THE SUPERSTAR MADONNA – The Ambitious/Controversial/Biggest Star In The World Era – Blonde and in charge, the style is more androgynous with suits and pants but glamorous (very Marlene Dietrich and Garbo-esque), then there’s pointy bras and corsets, the hair is golden blonde and permed, body is muscular, she seems to always wear fishnets.

Begins: March 1990 – Vogue and its video premiere

Ends: June 1991 – In an interview for Rolling Stones, Madonna introduces the nickname “Dita” and a photo-shoot with Steve Meisel that evokes the later released SEX book. Later that summer she started to shoot A League of their Own.

Duration: 1 year and 3 months

Albums: one studio album/inspired by the movie and one greatest hits compilation

Singles: 4 (US), 4 (UK)

Most Iconic Looks: LAV BA performance, EY corset, Holiday polka dots, KIT Clockwork Orange look, lace blouse without a bra in Vogue video, Marilyn for Oscars with MJ

Iconic Moments: EVERYTHING. Vogue video, BAT and the Pope, JML video and controversy, TOD documentary, TOD premieres in Cannes, SOL performance at the Oscars, M and MJ.

Okay, this took more time to write then I imagined so I will finish it later.

Discuss.

Holy smokes, why would anyone tortue themselves, this is quite the task. I have lived through them all so far, looking back, all the way back to '82, it's SOME LONG HISTORY and CAREER so far...

Good-luck with this.

More more more more!!!

I'm interested to see where you end the Dita era and when the career smoothing-sperm searching era begins....

CJC’s thread about how complete the eras were inspired me to delineate how (in my opinion) M’s previous eras lasted. Primarily, I think the eras were not dictated solely by the music/videos but by an overall direction in her career. This is how I delineate and describe her eras (or should we call 'evolutions'):

600full-desperately-seeking-susan-photo.

THE STREET MADONNA - The Boy-Toy/Virgin Era - Post-disco grooves with 70's producers, sex-kitten with high pitched voice, tons of jewelry, lace, crosses, sunglasses, wild hair, girlie curves, the belly button...

Started: October 1982 - Everybody single is released

Ended: December 1985 - Begins to shoot Shanghai Surprise with golden blonde 1930s style hair

Duration: 3 years and 2 months

Albums: two studio albums

Singles: 10 (US), 12 (UK), 2 singles/airplay hits in other countries (Over and Over, Love Don't Live Here Anymore)

Most Iconic Looks: Lucky Star video, Wedding Dress, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes pink dress, DSS jacket + sunglasses,

Most Iconic Songs: Holiday, Borderline, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Crazy for You, Into The Groove

Iconic Moments: VMA '84, Desperately Seeking Susan becomes a hit, Virgin Tour, Time Magazine cover, Playboy/Penthouse photos, Live Aid '85, Sean Penn Wedding

Madonna+true_blue_03.jpg

THE HOLLYWOOD MADONNA - The Bushy Platinum Blonde/Actress Wannabe/Mrs. Penn Era - The sound is more Motown and Latin inspired pop than post-disco, songs start to deal with weightier subjects, the body becomes leaner and more toned, the look is more innocent and feminine, style is very retro channeling Hollywood blondes from Grace Kelly (Shanghai Surprise) to Marilyn (Who's That Girl), marries a movie star and tries (and fails) to start an acting career with two back to back box-office bombs.

Started: March 1986 - Live to Tell is release and a video with her new look follows soon afterwards.

Ended: April 1988 - Speed the Plow has its first preview on Broadway with Madonna sporting a brunette look.

Duration: 2 years and 1 month

Albums: one studio album, one partial soundtrack and one remixes compilation.

Singles: 7 (US), 8* (UK), two radio hits (Where's The Party & Spotlight) *I did not count re-releases

Most Iconic Looks: Live To Tell/Shanghai Surprise 1930s golden blond locks, bushy platinum blond cover of True Blue album, short crop and "Italian Do It Better" t-shirt, black corset and nipple tassels in OYH, white Marilyn-style dress (WTG and American Music Awards)

Most Iconic Songs: Live To Tell, PDP, TB, OYH, LIB

Iconic Moments: LTT new look, PDP controversy, Shanghai Surprise bombs in Aug. '86, MTV Lifetime Achievement Video Vanguard Award in Sept. '86, WTG Tour '87, WTG bombs in Aug. '87

THE ARTISTE MADONNA - The Italian Hippie/Rebel Catholic/Divorcee/Artiste (ARTPOP...heheh) Era - "As close as pop music comes to art" sound, starts the era as a Broadway actress with brown hair and ends with a Louise Brooks inspired bob, separates from Sean Penn and ultimately divorces him, the style is starker and more dramatic, starts wearing all black more often, the look is more natural and less glamorous than previously, while previously controversy seemed to follow her, now she seems to purposely look for it.

Begins: May 1988 - Speed the Plow premieres on Broadway and soon after Madonna appears with Sandra Bernhard on Letterman (and insinuates being bisexual).

Ends: January 1990 – Keep It Together is released as the last single from LAP without Vogue, its intended B-Side track.

Most Iconic Looks: brunette with burning crosses, EY video, Cherish video, Louise Brooks inspired Herb Ritts photo shoot

Iconic Moments: Letterman with SB, divorces Sean Penn on Jan. ’89, Pepsi commercial, LAP premiere, Vogue Magazine cover, EY at the VMAs

madonna16.jpg

THE SUPERSTAR MADONNA – The Ambitious/Controversial/Biggest Star In The World Era – Blonde and in charge, the style is more androgynous with suits and pants but glamorous (very Marlene Dietrich and Garbo-esque), then there’s pointy bras and corsets, the hair is golden blonde and permed, body is muscular, she seems to always wear fishnets.

Ends: June 1991 – In an interview for Rolling Stones, Madonna introduces the nickname “Dita” and a photo-shoot with Steve Meisel that evokes the later released SEX book. Later that summer she started to shoot A League of their Own.

Albums: one studio album/inspired by the movie and one greatest hits compilation

Most Iconic Looks: LAV BA performance, EY corset, Holiday polka dots, KIT Clockwork Orange look, lace blouse without a bra in Vogue video, Marilyn for Oscars with MJ

Iconic Moments: EVERYTHING. Vogue video, BAT and the Pope, JML video and controversy, TOD documentary, TOD premieres in Cannes, SOL performance at the Oscars, M and MJ.

Discuss.

Wonderful, looking forward to the rest

Wow! Great job :thumbsup:

I like how you split up LAP and Vogue/JML into two. I'd definitely would consider those two as separate "eras" too, since the latter pretty much works as a sort of transition era... And in-between of her controversial LAP persona and her even more controversial Dita character from Erotica/SEX.

doxo2a.jpg

This pic shows how dull and inexpressive the MDNA look was in comparison to her others throughout the career (despite it being beautiful!). There doesn't seem to be any theme to it whatsoever, even the Hard Candy look fares much better next to the MDNA one.

But still, great montage!

This is great . Don't forget the British housewife /English Rose Madoona

madonna16.jpg

Discuss.

Great thread though you've kind of glossed over "Express Yourself" and its importance in her evolution. It symbolizes the precise moment that Madonna transitioned from pop royalty to icon. Everything described from March 1990-on was actually borne out of that video nearly a year earlier (while filming Dick Tracy) and the VMA performance in September 1989 was the prototype for Blond Ambition.

Even though it breaks up an album project, I've always considered "Like A Prayer" as the end her 1988 sabbatical and of "Express Yourself" as kicking off the next phase which ran through to the release of Truth Or Dare two years later.

Photos from the Like A Prayer album launch party in March 1989:

lap_launchparty1.jpg

lap_launchparty3.jpg

lap_launchparty2.jpg

Great thread though you've kind of glossed over "Express Yourself" and its importance in her evolution. It symbolizes the precise moment that Madonna transitioned from pop royalty to icon. Everything described from March 1990-on was actually borne out of that video nearly a year earlier (while filming Dick Tracy) and the VMA performance in September 1989 was the prototype for Blond Ambition.

Even though it breaks up an album project, I've always considered "Like A Prayer" as the end her 1988 sabbatical and of "Express Yourself" as kicking off the next phase which ran through to the release of Truth Or Dare two years later.

lap_launchparty1.jpg

lap_launchparty3.jpg

lap_launchparty2.jpg

Wowwwwww I have never seen these before ! Thanks for posting !

lap_launchparty1.jpg

lap_launchparty3.jpg

lap_launchparty2.jpg

Wowwwwww I have never seen these before ! Thanks for posting !