Was GGW ahead of its time?

dollhouse

I like GGW. People criticize it, but as people on here said MDNA also has it more serious deeper songs. I like the mix. Maybe it would be a problem if the whole album was just songs like GGW but it isn't. Madonna has always had that mix of fun dance songs with more serious deeper songs and I hope she continues that. Some people here take themselves way too seriously. Madonna doesn't. She can release a fun dance song and have a laugh sometimes. Bless her for that!

Guest bluejean

I like GGW. People criticize it, but as people on here said MDNA also has it more serious deeper songs. I like the mix. Maybe it would be a problem if the whole album was just songs like GGW but it isn't. Madonna has always had that mix of fun dance songs with more serious deeper songs and I hope she continues that. Some people here take themselves way too seriously. Madonna doesn't. She can release a fun dance song and have a laugh sometimes. Bless her for that!

She could do a "fun dance song" without it being generic though eg. Music, Hung Up, Into The Groove, Get Together, Vogue

Guest Pud Whacker

Girl Gone Wild was/is fabulous. just saw the E! televised video premiere and behind the scenes today.

it was the aging lighters thinking they knew more.

i want someone to give me a song it sounded like, so i can have a good laugh.

I understand what you are saying, but releasing GGW as a second single (and the one that launches the week of the album's release), would be the business equivalent of releasing "Don't Stop" as the second single to Bedtime Stories.

Girl Gone Wild was/is fabulous. just saw the E! televised video premiere and behind the scenes today.

it was the aging lighters thinking they knew more.

i want someone to give me a song it sounded like, so i can have a good laugh.

It doesn't sound like a particular song, however it has pretty much the same generic dance sound all over it which has been constantly played on the radio for a long time and almost every "hip" artist wanted to go with.

I don't think it's "ahead" or "behind" it's times. I think it was very current and if it was a song by any other younger female artist, it probably would have been a bigger hit. I guess this is why so many fans dislike the song, because it is definitely represenative what radio has been playing. It could have been a decent hit if radio just played it, but radio is so controlled anymore and if you're over 40, you might as well forget radio. I personally love the song.

Me too. It's a very fun and catchy song.

Radio is ageist indeed. I guarantee if Katy Perry or Rihanna sang GGW it would have at least made the top 10. It's an awesome song and deserved to do better.

I love it and, like others, believe that if it had been sung by a younger artist, it would have been a sizeable hit. I also feel the same about GMAYL, but that's for another thread :)

i think ggw was the best single out of hard candy and mdna(tho better songs on the album of course) GITM a close second, but i think ggw is more fun, and the video is perfection

4 Minutes

Give it 2 Me

Miles Away

GMAYL

GGW

TUTR

Yeah, it's not a very inspired run of singles... and Girl Gone Wild and GI2M are indeed the best ones. Although Celebration is better than both, in my opinion.

Also, I think a rock version of Girl Gone Wild is in order.

I cannot answer if it is ahead of its time - most likely, it's not.

But, I do believe that the best way to fully appreciate GGW in full is to rotate all of the remixes. That's what I do. Each remix adds another dimension. When I heard the very first snippet of GGW I hated it; I hated the lyrics and the production. I was mortified and repulsed! I wasn't the only one because I read somewhere that the "poor quality" of GGW was brought up to Liz Rosenberg and she appeased the fans by saying, and I'm paraphrasing, "the remixes will kill everything." Now, I can almost understand why the album version of GGW sounds the way it does and what they may have been going for with that "dated" production sound, as it is often described. The album version may be a compromise between the almost ballad-like quality of the Justin Cognito Remix and the harder/faster remixes. If you listen very closely to the album version you can hear an almost badass production style that has been subdued in an attempt to balance the vocal and the production. Basically, I think that they took a risk and it didn't work out. But, I love the song now and find myself singing it all the time. I just wish that someone could tell me what happened to that never-heard-of-again remix that we heard being played outside Madonna's house long ago.