Was GGW ahead of its time?

dollhouse

The only version of GGW that works for me is the Offer Nissim mix.

Rafael Lelis, Rebirth, Avicii, Dave Aude club mix and E thunder are the best mixes. Got over Dada life quickly, there's a disconnect with the Offer nissim mix and if I'm in the mood for the Justin Cognito mix it's irresistible. Love GGW!

MDNA had great album tracks ("Love Spent", "Beautiful Killer", "I Fucked Up", "Falling Free" etc.) but all the singles were derivative and shitty. Yes, they might have been catchy but all 3 singles were shockingly generic-tastications. If anything, they made the Hard Candy sound seem cutting edge and we all know she was late on that bandwagon too. Unfortunately, the only thing that the MDNA singles seemed to do was reinforce to the general public just how out of touch she is.

Truth much.

The nursery rhyme lyrics don't help matters either. "you can drink some wine burgundy is fine".

What was she thinking?

No quality control.

Guest bluejean

GGW was catchy and I liked it but it was not good enough for Madonna. The lyrics and the production was forgettable, it sounded like a Rihanna song.

The problem with GGW is the lame ass lyrics. 4 Minutes and GMAYL too. The Benassi's did their magic, same goes for Timbo and Solveig. The dumb lyrics ruin these three songs for me.

Guest bluejean

Truth much.

The nursery rhyme lyrics don't help matters either. "you can drink some wine burgundy is fine".

What was she thinking?

No quality control.

It's weird how there was so much advocating alcoholism in this era. I'm sure Lucky Guy would have a thing or two to say about that. The first and second single both refer to alcohol and there was the Smirnoff deal. And we know Madonna occasionally drinks but she's hardly the type to get wasted or drink an entire bottle of wine.

What kind of Gagadaily themed thread? This is shit monsters post to try and dig deep for meaning in a Joanne song.

Madonna fans don't need reasurance on her songs. GGW was a failed attempt at a radio hit. I personally like the song, but noo it's not ahead of anything.

heeeeeeeeey eeeeeee yaaaaay eeeeeeee yaaaay ee yay. I love the video though.

When people hear GGW they don't think "oh that's good. It's really nice to hear Madonna doing a current sounding song- I'm glad about that". They think "why is this amazing pop star singing a shitty Rihanna reject? ".

I like GGW alot...it reminds me of the COADF album.Would have fit perfectly on that album.

The only bad thing about the song is some of the lyrics.The second verse should have been re-written completely.I hate the part that goes "you got me in the zone,DJ play my favorite song".Those are lines that you would expect on a Britney Spears album! Madonna is better than that.

Guest bluejean

I'm sure Frozen was ahead of its time though. :rolleyes:

I hate the term "ahead of its time." The only thing I think Madonna did that was ahead of its time was the Sex book.

Frozen is brilliant though and very unique for a mainstream pop artist like Madonna.

MDNA had great album tracks ("Love Spent", "Beautiful Killer", "I Fucked Up", "Falling Free" etc.) but all the singles were derivative and shitty. Yes, they might have been catchy but all 3 singles were shockingly generic-tastications. If anything, they made the Hard Candy sound seem cutting edge and we all know she was late on that bandwagon too. Unfortunately, the only thing that the MDNA singles seemed to do was reinforce to the general public just how out of touch she is.

Unfortunately, I agree.

Although I did enjoy the videos, all the singles were not that great. They felt "lazy" to me, and aside from GMAYL, we pretty much know that GGW and TUTR were basically completed songs handed to her which she made some changes to. Also, the Sunday Girl version of TUTR is still superior to the MDNA version and all I have of that is a shitty live recording.

In Madonna's defense, she has experienced so much and I bet it is hard to come up with fresh lyrical ideas this far into the game, but you'd think she could pick better demos to record considering the high-level access to talented people that she has at her fingertips.

Unfortunately, I agree.

Although I did enjoy the videos, all the singles were not that great. They felt "lazy" to me, and aside from GMAYL, we pretty much know that GGW and TUTR were basically completed songs handed to her which she made some changes to. Also, the Sunday Girl version of TUTR is still superior to the MDNA version and all I have of that is a shitty live recording.

In Madonna's defense, she has experienced so much and I bet it is hard to come up with fresh lyrical ideas this far into the game, but you'd think she could pick better demos to record considering the high-level access to talented people that she has at her fingertips.

I'm not sure any of the "good" songs from MDNA stood a chance at becoming hits though, so at least they tried. I do think TUTR could have had a shot if it had been the first single. And I think it's silly to suggest that because Madonna has been doing it for 30 years that she has trouble coming up with fresh lyrical ideas. If she found a good producer with some inspiring ideas, she would have no trouble at all. She needs to find another Orbit or Mirwais. Someone new to wake her up.

What the hell...so many people don't like GGW?? Why?? It's a catchy song! And the tour opener made it even better!! I liked it before but love it since then.

Now GAYL...that song sucks so much...

And I think it's silly to suggest that because Madonna has been doing it for 30 years that she has trouble coming up with fresh lyrical ideas. If she found a good producer with some inspiring ideas, she would have no trouble at all. She needs to find another Orbit or Mirwais. Someone new to wake her up.

Perhaps, but the proof is in the pudding. Timberlake said in 2008 that she has notebooks full of really good poetry, and I wish we'd see more of it. But when we get singles like GMAYL, I am just floored at the complete void creative lyrics. Her non-single tracks are mostly still good, but I don't know how much of the lyrics she actually wrote. I did love "Voices" and "Devil" from Hard Candy though.

^ Yeah, the songs we all like (Love Spent, I'm Addicted) were possibly written by others or lifted from poems. But so was a lot of the earlier stuff we all prefer.

What the hell...so many people don't like GGW?? Why?? It's a catchy song! And the tour opener made it even better!! I liked it before but love it since then.

Now GAYL...that song sucks so much...

Because it's beneath her. The lyrics are dumb, the vocals are shit, she obviously didn't write it, and the production isn't very forward-thinking. I do agree that it's catchy though. The live performance never did anything for me, especially since it's lipped.

I dislike GMAYL for different reasons. I prefer her vocals on that one and at least she wrote it, but the lyrics and production are just as lame. I also resent it for being the lead single and for not being reworked after the demo leaked and we all tore it to shreds.

When I first hear Applesauce, the verses reminded me of I'm Addicted and the chorus reminded me of GGW. I don't think she copied M because a lot songs sound like that on radio right now.

If GGW was released by anyone that radio loves, like Rihanna, it would have been a huge hit. Radio will not play Madonna regardless of the single. Maybe I'm being too negative. To be fair, if Madonna were to release a ballad like Masterpiece as a single in the US, it might be played. There have been too many generic dance singles in a row. She has to mix it up. Give radio something different for a change.

People love Madonna or at least want to love Madonna. She is not helping herself by tainting her legacy with these bad generic singles. People who only go by the singles thing she's really out of the loop and not cool. They don't know that there are really amazing songs on her albums, particularly MDNA.