Was GGW ahead of its time?

dollhouse

I don't think it's "ahead" or "behind" it's times. I think it was very current and if it was a song by any other younger female artist, it probably would have been a bigger hit. I guess this is why so many fans dislike the song, because it is definitely represenative what radio has been playing. It could have been a decent hit if radio just played it, but radio is so controlled anymore and if you're over 40, you might as well forget radio. I personally love the song.

It was dated even before it's release tbh but I still like it. It was the whole 'hey, heheyay, heyheyayehay' bits that were weak on an otherwise okay pop song.

I guess this is why so many fans dislike the song, because it is definitely represenative what radio has been playing. It could have been a decent hit if radio just played it, but radio is so controlled anymore and if you're over 40, you might as well forget radio. I personally love the song.

I don't think that's true at all. Madonna needed a radio friendly breakout hit, something like 'Titanium', something of such quality that it enters into public consciousness well enough to break the age barrier she now faces on radio (im talking UK/euro here} GGW was never going to do that for her. It's derivative crap, the kind of thing Cheryl Cole would have rejected if offered.

This is not a sarcastic thread. Im serious.

Its obvious Applesauce has been influenced by it.

I think that..it sounded very dated when I first heard it. I didnt like her voice in it either. But after the video and the FAB live performances, Ive begun to absolutely love it.

And indeed..now, it suddenly sounds very current.

So there you have it.

Guest SecretGarden

Girl Gone Wild is probably my least favorite song on MDNA it represents everything that I don't want Madonna to be doing, musically that is. On the other hand things like I'm Addicted, Gang Bang, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer and Falling Free are definitely a step in the right direction after Hard Candy.

I don't think that's true at all. Madonna needed a radio friendly breakout hit, something like 'Titanium', something of such quality that it enters into public consciousness well enough to break the age barrier she now faces on radio (im talking UK/euro here} GGW was never going to do that for her. It's derivative crap, the kind of thing Cheryl Cole would have rejected if offered.

I guess it's subjective because I felt like it was a good song for radio and if it was sung by somene younger, it would have got radio exposure. Though, I guess I can only speak for North America. Also, I do see your point regarding Europe and UK because that sort of music has been far more popular much longer than it's been in North America.

It's her worst lead-type single for me. Ever. I think even American Life was better and that was an all time low for her.

GGW is beneath her. She should be ashamed she recorded it at all.

MDNA had great album tracks ("Love Spent", "Beautiful Killer", "I Fucked Up", "Falling Free" etc.) but all the singles were derivative and shitty. Yes, they might have been catchy but all 3 singles were shockingly generic-tastications. If anything, they made the Hard Candy sound seem cutting edge and we all know she was late on that bandwagon too. Unfortunately, the only thing that the MDNA singles seemed to do was reinforce to the general public just how out of touch she is.

MDNA had great album tracks ("Love Spent", "Beautiful Killer", "I Fucked Up", "Falling Free" etc.) but all the singles were derivative and shitty. Yes, they might have been catchy but all 3 singles were shockingly generic-tastications. If anything, they made the Hard Candy sound seem cutting edge and we all know she was late on that bandwagon too. Unfortunately, the only thing that the MDNA singles seemed to do was reinforce to the general public just how out of touch she is.

This! I don't think she realises how damaging releasing "current" sounding songs is.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I love the song. It grew on me. Now I can't stop playing it.

Is it one of her better more recent singles? Hell no. But if you take it as it is...a fun, frivolous pop song...it's just, fun. Far worse pop crap all over the radio anyway...and if a younger artist had done it, it probably would have been a decent hit with some radio play.

The tour version is amazing. And it was a great opener for the show. I remember playing it in the car one day, and my mother was like "who is this...is this Madonna?" I was expecting her to not like it...but she was like "hey, burn me a copy of this!" LOL!!!!!!!

Now the video... that was perfection.

I love the song, but the sound wasnt groundbreaking. And I want really good pop songs like the one on ROL or COADF, with great music structure, written by her, Leonard, Henry and maybe Orbit. The sound would not matter much because the songs would be killer...

It's an unpopular opinion, but I love the song. It grew on me. Now I can't stop playing it.

Is it one of her better more recent singles? Hell no. But if you take it as it is...a fun, frivolous pop song...who cares.

The tour version is amazing. And it was a great opener for the show. I remember playing it in the car one day, and my mother was like "who is this...is this Madonna?" I was expecting her to not like it...but she was like "hey, burn me a copy of this!" LOL!!!!!!!

Now the video... that was perfection.

Exactly. Much of her earlier career when she rose to mega status, her better received songs were simple and fun dance/pop songs. I'm not saying or claiming this compares to the classics, but many of her classics are simple, "fun" and "frivolous" pop songs.