Demos that are better than the original?

drunkbysix

As people have pointed out the instrumental is killer, and that's the same, but the Madonna only chants are less sycophantic, and sound more aggressive war cry esque to me. And the full Madonna breakdown with MIA and Nicki's nonsensical additions really clarify the point of the song and just give it something. The audacity apparent here is something I can really get behind.

This comes to mind

Share yours?

Oh, yes! I love the Pre-Madonna version of "Burning Up" -- I used to play this a lot, and actually have probably played it more than the proper album version. (And also more than any of the other Pre-Madonna demos...)

Guest Not4Pussies

As people have pointed out the instrumental is killer, and that's the same, but the Madonna only chants are less sycophantic, and sound more aggressive war cry esque to me. And the full Madonna breakdown with MIA and Nicki's nonsensical additions really clarify the point of the song and just give it something. The audacity apparent here is something I can really get behind.

i hadn't listened to the demo since it first leaked and NOW after having the official album version after a year, it doesn't sound so bad a tall.

i prefer the actual music on the demo than the album version. a lot more of a 60's surfer vibe.

I would agree with this. The breakdown is probably my favorite part of the song, and though I loooooove MIA and Nicki, I think this one coulda been really cool solo.

Other demos that are better than the original are Stay '81 (which is like a completely different song, but still) and History (Land of the Free).

Though, I really liked the previous demo version that included the lyric "Why are we separated, defined by our greed and hatred" more than the "I thought that we were related" version here. I can't seem to find my preferred version ANYWHERE :(

I love the album version much more but this early version has the iconic: Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Two steps behind, you've got too much pride. Always supporting, never the star (Never the star). Get it together, 'cause the BEAT GOES ON :dramatic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZfByAnA0pY

And.....

INSTRUMENTATION :madgemanson:

:americanlife: @ the "M.A.D. don't make" part being removed.

Though, I really liked the previous demo version that included the lyric "Why are we separated, defined by our greed and hatred" more than the "I thought that we were related" version here. I can't seem to find my preferred version ANYWHERE :(

That version (which was first leaked as like a 3 minute clip days before it was going to premiere on ICON fanclub, which ended up being a completely different version), has completly been wiped away!! I use to have a fan made extended version of that clip but I can't seem to locate that file anymore :(

And the multiple demos that leaked a few years later didn't contain that lyric(like you mentioned), which is kinda dissapointing cause i sounds so much better. All we need is the final demo to leak. hopefully one day!

But to get back on topic....

GMAYL is likely choice. I know people talk about how the breakdown is better without nicki and maya, but the girlie cheer screams are so dreafult to the ears! :manson: It's so much better when it's just Madonna. Also I hate what they did to the ending in the final version. Adding in those cheers at the end and changing the structure, it's awful. The demo is miles better.

Oh and Stay 81 is divine and a total representation of what the 80's is. I do love the released version on LAV. But I rank the demo higher only because i'm not big on the whole "scoop scoop scoop shoobity be-bop"

sadly it hasn't leaked in full, just those 2 clips.

Sorry to go off topic.., but there was also an alternate clip that leaked with different lyrics for "I'm In Love With Love," but i can't seem to find it anywhere......

Guest Rachelle of London

I love the album version but this demo version just pulls on my heart! hence why I kept voting for it in the elimination thread, I think some forum members thought I was part of some conspiracy theory or something

Guest Rachelle of London

I've never heard that To Have and Not To Hold demo before... it's gorgeous. I'm in awe, so simple and so moving.

Isn't it lovely!!!! I love the album version but this one just connects with me, the spanish guitar, the vocals, ugh its just perfect! I even had a twitter chat with rick Nowels telling him how much I love it! hahaha seriously one of my fave songs and its in demo form

So glad to start seeing this opinion expressed so well. The demo is way better and precisely for the reasons you stated. It sounds fierce, not vapid. I'd add that the bridge is much better in the demo as well, with the exception of "Now MOVE!" which is life.

I love the album version but this demo version just pulls on my heart! hence why I kept voting for it in the elimination thread, I think some forum members thought I was part of some conspiracy theory or something

Love this version, I always wonder if she will ever play this version live sometime, maybe to end one of the Latin sections or something

This one, the demo version is so beautiful, amazing, the choir, the guitar, everything

The version released on Celebration is cool but this one is better, makes me wanna cry.

btw, i also love more the demo of GMAYL, the breakdown is great and her voice sounds more fun and relaxed.