Cher on Madonna (Twitter, interviews, etc.)

elijah

^ oh, please! Public has said that Cher was old since she was on her 40s! When i was a child, she was labelled as old, that's why i was so surprised when i knew that she's barely 10 years older than Madonna. Cher's been called "old" since she was in her 40s! The same with Tina Turner.

Madonna was called "old granny" when she reached her 50s! Nobody called her that when she released ROL or Music! When Madonna released 'Music' she was the same age as Cher singing 'If I could turn back time'.

Honestly I never remember Cher or Tina being criticised for getting older. I was a teen when Tina Turner appeared on Live Aid and had a hit the year before and thought she was wonderful. Since then I still haven't heard anyone criticise Tina or Cher for getting older and it can stay that way. I'm wondering if ageism is a fairly new issue. With the survival if the fittest mentality that is taking over thoughts instead of the spirit, people are forgetting the person inside and want to dismiss them because they are older.

Guest Rachelle of London

I think with Tina and Cher when they'd reached 40+ and were making their comebacks it was exactly that. It was the nostalgia that people probably kept people from talking about them badly. The press has ALWAYS hated on Madonna, even when she was having commercial success there were the idiots that wrote trash to bring her down. Madonna knows this thats why she doesnt care. Yes you get the small minority that believe what The Sun or Daily Mail write but the majority of people only care if she has a great song/album that they can buy.

In Australia the other day, a respected newspaper ( not owned by the murdochs) had Mick Jagger on the front cover going on about how glorious he is at the age of seventy ( his birthday). Not one negative comment and they even complemented his wrinkles. Can you just imagine when Madonna turns 70, it will be like an apocalypse.

I agree yet disagree with this sentiment. In many Americans minds, Madonna has been absent from the scene for a decade or more. Cher may have been seemingly "quiet" during the mid to late 1990s, just prior to "Believe", but she was releasing projects (several movie appearances, a critically acclaimed album). In the past decade she has done nothing but Vegas and Burlesque since wrapping her never-ending Farewell tour so this time around it would truly be a "comeback".

We are fans, we pay attention, but to the average American, Madonna has become nothing more than celebrity tabloid fodder concerning her stage antics, cosmetic procedures, comparisons and pseudo-fued with Gaga and sadly her adoptions. "4 Mins" was her only US market return to relevance but even that was fleeting. To me, this is a great thing as the US market is crap and groups like LMFAO can dominate the charts.

The point is Cher's music is not really part of the legacy of the Rock Era. She is a showgirl. And in the grand scheme of things,

her music is completely irrelevant.

The point is Cher's music is not really part of the legacy of the Rock Era. She is a showgirl. And in the grand scheme of things,

her music is completely irrelevant.

I've kinda always thought the same thing too, I've always felt Cher is a legendary entertainer not necessarily legendary musical act or actress. On the other hand though, I think it's a little harsh to say her music is completely irrelevant. She's had a couple songs that have become classics. I'd consider I Got You Babe, If I Could Turn Back Time and Believe to be classics at this point. Those songs seem to pop up EVERYWHERE. I get what you mean though, she didn't really change the course of pop/rock music the way Elvis, Beatles, Michael or Madonna did......even if she has been around SINCE the Beatles were having hits and Elvis was still kinda hot.

Cher just always seemed about having fun. I don't think she cared about being an artist or having a message she just wanted to play dress up, sing a few songs, do a couple movies and have a good time. One of her charms IMO is that she can be completely outrageous bordering on ridiculous but she doesn't come across as try hard.....it all seems genuine......unlike some OTHER more recent acts that try to do the "outrageous" thing as Cher did/does but just come across fake and try hard.

and 'Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves' is also a classic.

I confess that I love all of those older, campy, story-telling songs of Cher's. Gypies, Tramps & Thieves, Dark Lady, Half Breed, etc. I will also cop to owning a copy of her greatest hits CD lol. But she's not one I'd go see in concert and I don't really keep up with her that much. Her Twitter does look like an entertaining mess and a half, however. High entertainment value.

There is NO OTHER

There is NO OTHER

No other love can take your PLACE

Or match the BEAUTY of your FACE
I'll keep on SINGIN' till the day

I carry you away

With my LOVE SONG

With my LOVE SONG

OOoooh

With my LOVE SONG

Madonna-la-Material-Girl-aura-engrange-5

Cher is referencing Dov'e L'Amore because the QUEEN was originally meant to direct that video so it's a shout-out to M and all the M fans.

RESPECT MOTHERFUCKERS!!

There is NO OTHER

There is NO OTHER

No other love can take your PLACE

Or match the BEAUTY of your FACE

I'll keep on SINGIN' till the day

I carry you away

With my LOVE SONG

With my LOVE SONG

OOoooh

With my LOVE SONG

Madonna-la-Material-Girl-aura-engrange-5

Cher is referencing Dov'e L'Amore because the QUEEN was originally meant to direct that video so it's a shout-out to M and all the M fans.

RESPECT MOTHERFUCKERS!!

What makes me laugh is that she's singing in Italian but the video is Spanish / Latin-American themed. It's like nobody knew anything Italian so they just winged it and hoped nobody would notice.

What makes me laugh is that she's singing in Italian but the video is Spanish / Latin-American themed. It's like nobody knew anything Italian so they just winged it and hoped nobody would notice.

:chuckle:

By the way did the video for La Isla Bonita serve as inspiration?

Yes, Cher is an undeniable and legendary icon. She's not regarded all that greatly as a musical artist, but I do enjoy most of her music.

I never got what she meant when she said years back that Madonna wasn't doing anything she wasn't doing 20/30 years ago, but that M did it so much better. Cherilyn never made it a case to tackle the social mores and such that M did in her music, videos and performances.

Whatever happened to Cher's new album? Seems like it keeps getting delayed,over and over.I heard the first single ("A Woman's World") but that was a few months ago.Her new album features a few tracks produced by Timbaland.Could this be Cher's attempt at a Hard Candy-like album? lol

Cher is a hypocrite. #End

Any fool can see through her shit.

She was a GaGa fan till "The Greatest" wasn't released then she needed a fan base to fall back on since she has below average numbers of fans.

THIS

If Share is so nice, she wouldn't have shaded Madge in the first place to please Kaka & her monsters in order to get her duet released, and hoping such duet could revive her long dead career.

For people saying they would never pay to see Cher...I thought the same until I saw her on that never-ending "Farewell Tour". Trust me...it was fucking worth it.

Vocals, stage presence...you name it.... for someone who has lasted over 4 decades, she can perform circles around these pop bitches of today. On top of that, she can sing her face off, and act and tell jokes all at the same time, and have everyone eating out of the palm of her hand the whole show.

As for some saying her music is irrelevant...I call bullshit. She may be seen as over-the-top, camp, a showgirl (which she certainly is)... but she has a good number of songs that are undoubtedly classics in popular music.

For people saying they would never pay to see Cher...I thought the same until I saw her on that never-ending "Farewell Tour". Trust me...it was fucking worth it.

Vocals, stage presence...you name it.... for someone who has lasted over 4 decades, she can perform circles around these pop bitches of today. On top of that, she can sing her face off, and act and tell jokes all at the same time, and have everyone eating out of the palm of her hand the whole show.

As for some saying her music is irrelevant...I call bullshit. She may be seen as over-the-top, camp, a showgirl (which she certainly is)... but she has a good number of songs that are undoubtedly classics in popular music.

Well, if it's 9.99, why not?

• 1 month later...

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/09/08/on-singing-for-jackie-kennedy-working-with-lady-gaga-and-the-art-of-the-comeback/

Q: There’s such a change in the way people come back. It feels as if Lady Gaga never took a two-year break—she was making so much news. Does that pace set up artists for failure?

A: The business has changed so much. Who knows how she will evolve, but Gaga has an idea for herself and she follows it. Madonna was the same way. Madonna said and did what she wanted, whenever she wanted and she was ahead of the curve. Always. She had her ear to the ground more than anyone.

Q: Sade once told me she felt Lady Gaga was more authentic than Madonna ever was.

A: Madonna was authentic for her time. People like Madonna and me paved the way for the women who came after us.

Well,. Cher did wear some outrageous get-ups, so that in and of itself paved the way for some who have done so since.

While she may not be as revered or as important as Madonna in music, Cherilyn is an undeniable icon and legend.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/09/08/on-singing-for-jackie-kennedy-working-with-lady-gaga-and-the-art-of-the-comeback/

Q: There’s such a change in the way people come back. It feels as if Lady Gaga never took a two-year break—she was making so much news. Does that pace set up artists for failure?

A: The business has changed so much. Who knows how she will evolve, but Gaga has an idea for herself and she follows it. Madonna was the same way. Madonna said and did what she wanted, whenever she wanted and she was ahead of the curve. Always. She had her ear to the ground more than anyone.

Q: Sade once told me she felt Lady Gaga was more authentic than Madonna ever was.

A: Madonna was authentic for her time. People like Madonna and me paved the way for the women who came after us.

Ridicilous.

Why the past sentences? Isnt Madonna authentic anymore and doesnt she follow her ideas?

:rolleyes: