Suggest A Marketing Strategy For Next Album

horn

Guest Rachelle of London

4 Minutes is one of Ms biggest songs when it comes to non fans! It introduced M to a new younger audience aswell

4 Minutes is one of Ms biggest songs when it comes to non fans! It introduced M to a new younger audience aswell

I always loved it from the first hearing. My only criticism is that she shouldn't have let JT sing so much. With more Madonna or, better still, ONLY Madonna - I think it would have been a classic.

I don't understand why she releases the surefire hit as the first single... Hear me out, everyone clamours to buy M's new singles even if they don't connect and are shit (see GMAYL), it's the second and third singles that need to pack punches, rather release things of decreasing quality, release better singles, different singles. Change it up. If Give It 2 Me had been the first single off Hard Candy, it would have charted higher because people were thirsty, and if 4 Minutes had been released second, it would have still been the smash it was because it's a massive song and everyone loves Tim & JT. That way, it feels to the general public that there is SUSTAINED interest and if people feel others are reverent and interested, they will be too, it's mob mentality.

Very good point.I'm tired of Madonna's albums having one 'hit' single and two follow-up singles that go nowhere.Hopefully,she and Interscope/LiveNation will try a new strategy with the singles,next time around.

Are you sure the phone companies are even interested at this point ? Madonna does not appeal to their demographic - teens /kids in their 20s .

She is still a huge A ++ Popstar of course but I don't think her name alone can guarantee the sales of those products .

Her last album was a commercial disappointment . In term of marketing strategy it will depend on what kind of music she is going to

produce. If it's EDM ( Please No ) it will be tricky. How do you market a 54 + Popstar without going into the Cher territory ?

Personally I'm looking forward to the next album. I think ( and hope ) that she will surprise us all.

She knows MDNA was not as successful as they had hoped and that she could not

longer juggle her film , music and various other projects the way she used to when she was younger.

here i disagree... a commercial disappointment for madonna standard, not in general.... otherwise almost all US releases from last year have been a disappointment (young and strong, from a commercial point of view, act included).

she's still a strong brand, even if her singles dont' sell so much nowadays... but who other sells?

I would love her to promote the shit out of the album - American Idol, X Factor, MTV Awards (both) etc. But I am just wondering if the MDNA promotion was actually genius? She sold 1.8 million without really spending any money on promotion, so the return on that album was probably higher than say Gaga's BTW album as she only sold 6 million and she must have spent a fortune on the promotion because she was everywhere, on every TV show promoting each single. Maybe the different approach to the promotion actually worked better?

For me though as a fan, I really want the TV interviews, award shows etc. as the MDNA promo was very disappointing and lacklustre but maybe it was actually a better approach for someone who is 30 years into her career...

here i disagree... a commercial disappointment for madonna standard, not in general.... otherwise almost all US releases from last year have been a disappointment (young and strong, from a commercial point of view, act included).

she's still a strong brand, even if her singles dont' sell so much nowadays... but who other sells?

I understand your point but I do think time has changed . She is a brand for sure but not a brand that would sell products to younger demographic .

And I agree with JWAD that my god this woman has given us 30 years of promotions she must be exhausted doing the award shows, tv shows , endless interviews etc . So how do you promote an album when you have been a huge successful pop star for over 30 years and you're 54 year old female.

Madonna used to be one step ahead of the game ( and this is not a diss so please don't kill me .) and after 30 years it will be interesting to see how she would market herself for the next album . I am hoping for something unique . Something that will propel her into the future.

Rihanna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, ......... pop stars, you know.

Are you sure the phone companies are even interested at this point ? Madonna does not appeal to their demographic - teens /kids in their 20s .

She is still a huge A ++ Popstar of course but I don't think her name alone can guarantee the sales of those products .

I can't imagine either of those companies turning Madonna down.She is still a legendary icon/pop star/celebrity and I think they would jump at the chance to work with her.

I can't imagine either of those companies turning Madonna down.She is still a legendary icon/pop star/celebrity and I think they would jump at the chance to work with her.

Emm... Madonna posts an Instagram of herself dressed for the Met Gala with a Miele vacuum cleaner and sales go through the roof and the CEO of the company wants her to head up an ad campaign.... Yes she can sell ANYTHING because of who she is!

Emm... Madonna posts an Instagram of herself dressed for the Met Gala with a Miele vacuum cleaner and sales go through the roof and the CEO of the company wants her to head up an ad campaign.... Yes she can sell ANYTHING because of who she is!

Exactly

I thought we were talking about phone companies ? I'm sure Madonna can sell great many things and when it comes to

products for younger generation I don't think she will be on top of the list as spokesperson .

And this is not ' Oh Madonna is over . She is too old. She is no longer the Queen of everything ' comment .

We are discussing a marketing strategy for her next album and I just think it will be interesting to see

what she and her team would come up with.

If she is still making music in her 60s and 70s will she be giving radio/TV interviews /doing award/ reality shows ?

You know cos it's not that far ahead.

Rihanna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, ......... pop stars, you know.

See, I don't see why we compare Madonna's sales to artists who are at the peak of their careers....it's simply not realistic. They SHOULD be selling more than Madonna at this point. With that said, Rihanna's latest has "only" sold around 3 million copies worldwide, Katy having the most number one songs off of one album for ANY artist in chart history could "only" shift 3 million in the USA and the latest sales figures we have for a Gaga album come from an album that was HIGHLY anticipated as she was riding the wave her peak powers at that time......even with all her promo and hype she was "only" able to shift about 6 million worldwide.

If anything, we should be comparing Madonna's sales to artists who were at their commercial peak when she was......the only problem with that is there is hardly anybody to compare her to. Michael and Whitney were her main "rivals" and they are dead. Prince WISHES he could sell 1.8 million copies of one of his albums these days....although like Madonna his touring numbers are VERY impressive.....Mariah can't even buy a top 10 hit these days......and Janet....well.....what exactly IS Janet up to these days?? lol Those were her main chart rivals at her commercial peak and she is head and shoulders above them with her success in 2012-2013.

Not trying to diss anyone, we are all entitled to our opinions but I think it's time to let go of this notion that Madonna is going to have hit after hit and sell 5 million every time she releases an album.....yes we can always HOPE for these things, but it's not likely and it's not realistic.

I would like to see another documentary of her. I am not too interested in interviews considering they always do the SAME OLD QUESTIONS. blah blah blah

I really like seeing Madonna behind the scenes, as shes recording in the studio, as shes planning her promotions . with her kids, etc

I think she should do a whole behind the scenes special for her next album.

I would love to see that. I agree promotion for MDNA was pretty bad. Except for the superbowl!!!!!

I'm sure that a few people have already mentioned this,but one thing she needs to do perform on one of the major awards shows....the Grammys,the AMAs...that kinda stuff creates alot of buzz and will have her new single flying up the charts!

I'm sure that a few people have already mentioned this,but one thing she needs to do perform on one of the major awards shows....the Grammys,the AMAs...that kinda stuff creates alot of buzz and will have her new single flying up the charts!

+1

Tours reaches 90% of fans and a little bit of non-fans.

Tv reaches everyone at their home.

For ray of Light, Music & Confessions she was everywhere on tv shows in the world, and everyone, from your neighbors to your doctor knew everything about her singles and album.

Tours reaches 90% of fans and a little bit of non-fans.

Tv reaches everyone at their home.

For ray of Light, Music & Confessions she was everywhere on tv shows in the world, and everyone, from your neighbors to your doctor knew everything about her singles and album.

Exactly.

All the promo in the world will not matter if radio doesn't embrace her songs (see American Life era). It seems the problem has less to do with lack of promo and more to do with the fact that radio is more frequently and consistently (for whatever reason) turning a cold shoulder to Madonna. I can't think of any Madonna single that was "saved" because she decided to do promo. All the singles she did promo for were already well on their way to becoming big hits anyways.....Music, Hung Up, Don't Tell Me, 4 Minutes......all of her major hits the past 10+ years were pretty much embraced right out of the gate.

I don't really know what's up with US radio and Madonna. I remember back when AL was just released, aside from the first single not getting enough play, a lot of the other album tracks were getting their fair share of plays on several pop stations (Love Profusion and Hollywood come to mind as the two with most spins). So there was an interest in the project. Then, all of a sudden, it all died. And when Hung Up came, and the world adored it, US just dismissed it. Same goes for Sorry, and Give it 2 me charted in the BB just because of the remix sales at the first week of sales of the album.

I sincerely think it has more to do with radio Djs and executives thinking Madonna has run it's course, and other acts deserve a shot at the spotlight, than with ageist/sexist policies. The music is there, is consistent, it's good (sans GMAYL and GGW)... but sadly a pop song that's not a hit feels somewhat empty, I dunno...

Instead of promoting the shit out of her singles at radio and tv (i.e. beating a dead horse), she should keep on with internet outlets, just like she's doing now on instagram, and try make hit songs this way, and through the tour performances. She's good at making fans adore songs because of the way she presented it at concerts (examples of this: Future Lovers at Confessions, the Nobody Knows Me video at MDNA...), and making them memorable in the process. She can capitalize that maybe by releasing a video of the performance in youtube/instagram/face/all while the tour is going on. Imagine if she had released the Love Spent performance just the day after she performed it for the 1st time? or Beautiful Killer after L'Olympia? I think this little things do make a difference, and could give her that elusive hit if a song catches on.

One thing I've noticed lately is that many artists don't rely solely on the *first single* to promote an album.That's an old,outdated strategy that doesn't seem to work anymore.For example,look at Robin Thicke and his new album 'Blurred Lines' which was just released.The title song is a smash,I think it's Number One right now...but in the past month or so,he released two other songs----"Give It 2 U" (featuring Kendrick LaMar) and a ballad "4 The Rest Of My Life"---to Youtube,with lyric videos.All of this was done *before* the album even came out.

That's what I consider aggressive promotion....getting these songs out there,creating a buzz and getting people really excited for the album release! This is what Madonna needs to do.Imagine if,in the weeks leading up to the release of MDNA,she released a few of the stronger songs---"I'm Addicted","Some Girls","Beautiful Killer"----to Youtube,complete with lyric videos.This would have been a smart move,especially considering that GMAYL wasn't exactly one of the best/strongest tracks on the album.That song just wasn't enough to 'carry' the album.

She's gotta change up her strategy.Increasingly,artists are no longer relying on the first single anymore.

all the promotion must be focused to have a recognizable album for a tour to launch....

imagine an entire stadium singing-a-long Love Spent or IDGA.. :dramatic: