Madonna Album Cover (Variations)- Notably "Bedtime Stories"

christopherm

None reported. But Billboard Magazine had this on the cover back in September of 2000. Whether it was made for the magazine, or it was an unused design, we don't know.

2000-madonna-billboard.jpeg

^ I loved that fold-out celebratory spread they published when "Music" went to number one! I bought two copies so I could hang one up.

I always preferred it to the shot on the album cover. Not sure if it was ever intended to be the front cover, but it's great. A portion of her face from this photo was used in only the limited edition booklet:

COLE%C3%87%C3%83O+580.jpg

COLE%C3%87%C3%83O+583.jpg

but I have this giant promo poster Warner Bros. sent out in September 2000 that uses the same photo:

myooseek_zps2a7ad60d.png

:inlove:

^ I loved that fold-out celebratory spread they published when "Music" went to number one! I bought two copies so I could hang one up.

Kevin Reagan pumped out some beautiful stuff.

That spread was gorgeous!

madonna+billboard+september+16+2000+inside.png

madonna+billboard+september+16+2000.png

I've read that this was going to be the confessions cover at some point, I would have preferred this cover; madonnaconfessionsliner-707329.jpg

That's like an updated Erotica-esque version. The vinyl version would have been great!

I've read that this was going to be the confessions cover at some point, I would have preferred this cover; madonnaconfessionsliner-707329.jpg

this absolutely should have been the cover for COADF

I always preferred it to the shot on the album cover. Not sure if it was ever intended to be the front cover, but it's great. A portion of her face from this photo was used in only the limited edition booklet:

COLE%C3%87%C3%83O+580.jpg

COLE%C3%87%C3%83O+583.jpg

but I have this giant promo poster Warner Bros. sent out in September 2000 that uses the same photo:

myooseek_zps2a7ad60d.png

:inlove:

I have both the magazine and the poster too!

Here's a scan of the GHV2 with it's alternative cover

GHV2alternateCD1.jpg

GHV2alternateCD2.jpg

I also love the mis-printed cover that Australia got

madonna-ghv2-greatest-hits-vol-2-audio-c

Maybe without the green hugh it makes for a perfect greatest hits cover, justsays everything 'Madonna'!!

Edited by luluthecat

Kevin Reagan pumped out some beautiful stuff.

That spread was gorgeous!

How did Kevin Reagen get it so incredibly perfect then he just radomly decided to start producing mosterious pieces of design

madonna%20hollywood%203%20trk.jpg45002.jpg21302.jpgMadonna-Love_Profusion_(CD_Single)-FrontMadonna+-+Nothing+Fails+%2F+Nobody+Knows

MY EYES, MY PRECIOUS EYES!!!! I still can't get over the fact these designs were produced by the same guy who did Ray of Light and Music. He even won Grammy's for both and rightly so. My only guess is that he was in a very dark place during the year of 2003 (a very dark place indeed).

Edited by luluthecat

Here's a scan of the GHV2 with it's alternative cover

GHV2alternateCD1.jpg

GHV2alternateCD2.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous! I love that photo to death, one of my favs, I use to have the DWT poster with that image hanging in my bedroom as a teen. Wish I still had it :(

So how did this person manage to get a copy of this alternate cover?

is the artwork for 'bedtime stories' inspired by the film 'butterfield 8'? I saw a clip yesterday and it looked so similar, but I don't remember reading anything about it at the time

is the artwork for 'bedtime stories' inspired by the film 'butterfield 8'? I saw a clip yesterday and it looked so similar, but I don't remember reading anything about it at the time

Good call! The photoshoot always had a 60's vibe nonetheless.

I actually like the Hollywood and Love Profusion maxi's.

So do I. I don't get why Hollywood is so hated. 4 Minutes yes but not Hollywood. Love a good face shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Upon initial release in North America, the CD cover picture of Madonna was right-side up. This was a mistake and was corrected on subsequent pressings, all of which feature the picture of Madonna upside-down (this version of the artwork was used outside North America).

Which one is the correct one?

This?

Madonna-Bedtime-Stories-121271.jpg

Or this?

Madonna_-_Bedtime_Stories.jpg

My opinion is the 2nd one is the right one and I took it as a fact from the beginning. But the phrasing in that wikipedia paragraph is a bit confusing. Plus, on ebay, almost all the CDs have the 1st cover and those with the 2nd cover are labeled as "rare". So the 1st pic is "initial release" and the 2nd pic is "subsequent pressings"? I still don't have this album ( :sneaky: ) but I want to buy the "correct" cover (the 2nd one looks infinitely better).

Also, does this cover art thing apply to vinyl records too? I know there is a special limited edition with pink records and a regular edition an so far both seem to have the "wrong" cover.

I know the LAP album had the inner sleeves fragranced with patchouli (I know the record format did, not sure about the CDs). Can somebody who bought a more recent pressing of LAP (vinyl or CD) tell me if the sleeves still smell of patchouli?

Regarding #1, I believe the first pressing was messed up, they thought the original version (upside down) was a mistake and "corrected" it and printed them that way. After that, they realized the cover was supposed to be upside down from the beginning and fixed it. I'm paraphrasing here, but I think that's basically the story or the rumour... Someone correct me if I'm missing something

We extensively covered Bedtime Stories mere days ago in this thread: http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=43644

:)

BedtimeStoriesComparisonsmall.png

Every format, advert, poster, billboard, duratran, postcard, sheet music book and commercial during 1994 featured the album with Madonna's image appearing upright (as on the left).

It wasn't until the second North American pressing that showed up in stores throughout 1995 and 1996 that the image was flipped to what happens to be closer to the orientation of the photograph as it was taken. This only changed in the US as far as I know and to this day every other country still utilizes the "upright" cover.

This was also done for the cassette release:

m1.jpgm1.jpg

I don't think this was a mistake at all. The pink lettering of her name was clearly designed to stand out against the bed. When the image was flipped the blue title lettering for Bedtime Stories almost disappears.

$%28KGrHqR,%21roFEyT2lCQ4BRfU4%280Tgg~~6

The only vinyl release for Bedtime Stories in the US was a 2-LP promo on pink vinyl and it too came with the first "upright" sleeve as did all commercially released vinyl in other parts of the world.

Worldwide pressings of The Complete Studio Albums set released last year utilized a poorly cropped (and inexplicably white bordered) scan of the second version.

41bJJs%2BYSRL.jpg

Oh :shy: Sorry, didn't see it.

Thanks for the answer (and the link).

IDK, to me the upright version looks really weird and "unnatural". Her eyes are just :| I'm glad they noticed this and used the upside down version. I really like that one.

I know the LAP album had the inner sleeves fragranced with patchouli (I know the record format did, not sure about the CDs). Can somebody who bought a more recent pressing of LAP (vinyl or CD) tell me if the sleeves still smell of patchouli?

The CDs were scented (mine still smells) and I think even the cassettes were.... I remember being in a record store when it came out and people were talking about it and picking up the vinyl to smell it. Anyway, they were no longer scented after the first run.

The CDs were scented (mine still smells) and I think even the cassettes were.... I remember being in a record store when it came out and people were talking about it and picking up the vinyl to smell it. Anyway, they were no longer scented after the first run.

Aww, that's a shame. I like the idea of scented sleeves.