2016 Presidential Election Thread

Skin

I think her age also plays into it.

But that being said, any democrat would be a damn fool to not use her in their cabinet or administration in a very powerful and influential position...including Vice President.

I don't think she has to be President for us to benefit from her solid work.

How wonderful would it be to have a woman president and woman vice-president. The optics would be beautiful. :wow:

But saying that, vice-president is kinda a nothing position administratively-speaking and would be a waste of her talents. But Clinton has been having some health issues lately, so may be... :o:nocomment:

first of all.. I can tell ya... Hillary WON'T run for Vice President..... if she wanted that she would have done it during the last election. Yep, I mean it... if Hillary wanted it Biden woulda been out faster than a hot cake from griddle to plate.

^True, Hilary ain't going for nothing but the jugular. But who knows, maybe we'll get someone down the line that will re-define what the office of 'Vice President' is all about....

If Cory Booker does well, and continues to make a name for himself, I could see him as a VP.

But a woman, and a black man, on the same ticket.....the ReThugs will go to war with that....

According to CBS and Gallup, Obama's approval is now in the 30s and even under 30% among white Americans.

It's amazing what's been going the last 7 weeks. Gov shutdown, debt ceiling fight, Obamacare disaster, dramatic fall of his approval, the nuclear option at the senate that dramatically changes how the functions, now trying to let people keep cancelled plans while the healthcare industry says it is almost impossible to bring back again those plans and, finally, today it was announced that the deadline to sign up for insurance for 2015 was pushed back a week AFTER the midterms in 2014. In the meantime, the website is still down and millions of people are losing their insurance.

I feel bad for Obama. There is no way he can recover now and accomplish anything significant. As history has shown, when you are in your 5th-6th year as president and you approval plummets under 40%, it is impossible to recover.

The electorate is like a bomb ready to explode right now. People don't trust anybody.

Republicans are going to use the nuclear options for sure if they take control of the senate. Not only for judicial nominees but for everything! it is a bit scary to think about it... Of course, they have to control the White House too but still kinda scary.

Is Hilary's health that bad? :ohmy:

What's going on with Clinton?

Are you talking about the brain tumor rumors or something like that?

I remember reports of her collapsing and having issues leading up to it. Perhaps not as big a deal as made out?

I love her and think she is a TRUE fighter of the middle and lower class, but sadly I don't ever see her having a shot at being President. She doesn't have the personality that I think would win over many people.

She beat Obama in the primaries (popular votes).

Its a shame the roll out of The Affordable Care Act has been such an absolute mess.

Yeah, I realize there are lots of things to govern, but you'd think Obama would know well in advance that his signature legislative achievement was going to be a trainwreck. I am really dumbfounded by the horrible execution of the law so far. It's not all bad though, people now eligible for Medicaid (in the states where it is expanding) are definitely taking advantage.

Ultimately, what is going to happen if they fail to get their goal numbers signed up is that insurance companies will go bankrupt in a short period of time because they HAVE to cover pre-existing and poor people now. The young, healthy crowd was supposed to sign up to balance that out. Without them, the system is going to dissolve pretty quick. Maybe we will get single payer out of this yet? I dunno. Distrust of government is now at an all time high.

Unless something MAJOR changes in the next year, Hillary will need to offer something other than Obamacare to run on. She will have to address it though, and how she plans to clean up this mess. Christie (and any other Republican) will just offer to repeal it or cut taxes again to defund it in the long run.

The thing that I fear most now is not the failure of the ACA, but that the Republicans could some how get an edge and ultimately control Congress and the White House again (eventually) and when they do, they will say the Act bankrupted the government and so they have to privatize social security and reduce Medicare. I think the privatization of social security (along with Medicare reduction) is one of my greatest fears for our society. Do you know how much you have to save just to survive past 67? It's insane. Unless you plan to eat cat food and live in a cardboard box.

The ironic thing is that the ACA was the old Republican plan anyway, wasn't it? A 'free market system'...

I'm not calling doomsday just yet. Yeah, Obama's numbers are down, distrust of govt is high (which is due to A LOT of Rethuglican/Libertarian propaganda)... but I don't see GOP numbers going up.

As for the ACA, a lot of what is out there though still seems to be a lot of misinformation and paranoia ... for as many I hear out there claiming the sky is falling from trying to use the system (and what it's going to do in the future)...I hear others doing just fine with it, and waiting to actually get on it once it works correctly. People want healthcare... And it's only going to work if people actually sign up and get involved with it (once they fix the shitty website). And if you think about it, while, yes, this should have been handled a lot better, of course...rolling out something as big as this might take years to iron out, as experts have said. Did people really think that somehow it was going to just be smooth sailing from the get-go? Yes, the govt. fucked up (they should have had a better roll-out plan of action), but there also seem to be a total lack of perspective on the part of the American people...esp. with what the media feeds them.

^ It is true that lots of government programs had rocky roll-outs (from social security to the Medicare Part D), I think this one might be a little different in that the bill passed 3 years ago and almost $70 million was spent on the website. You'd think with that kind of time and money they'd sign up more than 26,000 people in one month. I'm actually gunning for Obama to get this together, but I really don't think a bad reaction to the news is exactly unwarranted.

We will see what happens by next fall. In generic polling for the 2014 races, Republicans are holding a slight edge over Democratic candidates. The GOP itself still has shit numbers, but they historically do better in midterm elections as it is.

The whole "the current party isn't doing what I want...so I'm just going to go vote for the other guys" mentality has got to STOP in this country.

Once again, lack of perspective...lack of seeing the bigger picture...

I know. It makes me sick.

That's what happens when I only read your posts and nobody else's :lol:

Should I be flattered? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hillary trails Christie.

Clinton narrowly trails Chris Christie right now in a hypothetical match up at 45/42. That's owing largely to a 49/26 advantage among independent voters. We also tested four other potential Democratic candidates against Christie though, and they would all trail him by double digits. John Kerry has an 11 point deficit against Christie at 46/35, Joe Biden is down 14 at 49/35, Elizabeth Warren trails by 16 at 49/33, and Howard Dean would lag by 22 at 51/29.

Christie's the strongest candidate for President right now because he's viewed favorably across party lines. He's at 48/26 with Republicans, 46/28 with independents, and 38/36 with Democrats. Clinton would start out ahead of all the other potential GOP candidates we tested against her on this poll- she's up 5 on Jeb Bush and Rand Paul at 48/43, 6 on Mike Huckabee at 48/42, and 8 on Ted Cruz at 49/41.

In addition to being the strongest general election Christie also leads the Republican field. He gets 19% to 14% for Ted Cruz, 13% for Mike Huckabee, 11% for Rand Paul, 10% for Jeb Bush and Paul Ryan, 7% for Marco Rubio, 4% for Scott Walker, and 3% for Bobby Jindal.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/12/christie-leads-both-democratic-and-gop-fields.html

Bitch, please!

iVzdqpA1Iw2ah.gif

^ I believe this poll is a joke this early. The only thing most Americans know about Chris Christie is his sympathetic portrayal during the Superstorm Sandy aftermath. Once they start hearing his conservative ideas for private schools (sorry, poor people), taking on teacher unions, and (eventually) privatizing social security, I guarantee this won't be the same poll.

Honestly, the more populist the country becomes the less I think the Republican platform can survive long-term. It's an "every man or woman for themselves" and that's not going to fly with record poverty levels.

It's only a matter of time before something really fucking stupid comes out of the mouth of Christie, or any other potential Republican candidates. Then the "hey, that guys not so bad" phase will end. Quickly. It's inevitable with these folks.

It's only a matter of time before something really fucking stupid comes out of the mouth of Christie, or any other potential Republican candidates. Then the "hey, that guys not so bad" phase will end. Quickly. It's inevitable with these folks.

The fact that anyone would want such a fat hot head in the White House is pretty sad. I am not saying Presidents don't lose their tempers behind the scenes, but if you cant even conduct yourself like an adult and come across Presidential when you are talking to the people you are supposed to be representing is kind of sad. We forget that these people that we elect work for us (or at least that's the way it should be) and if anyone called their boss an "idiot" while on the job they would probably be fired on the spot.

I do have to say though IF a republican gets in I think Christie is the lesser of the evils. (Which isn't saying much) I mean he isn't a Bible thumping far far right social conservative as far as I know. At least not when compared to the other names being dropped to run on the GOP side.

I do have to say though IF a republican gets in I think Christie is the lesser of the evils. (Which isn't saying much) I mean he isn't a Bible thumping far far right social conservative as far as I know. At least not when compared to the other names being dropped to run on the GOP side.

But those folks bought the whole party...they are the party, at least they're in control of it. Not to mention, it'd only be a matter of time before he would probably bend to their will anyway, in some form.....

Plus, there's just something slimy and greasy about Christie... a vibe. don't know what it exactly is (besides the actual politics)... just something deceiving, and opportunistic, about him. :unsure:

just something deceiving, and opportunistic, about him. :unsure:

Like when he gave his speech at the Republican Convention for Mitt Romney and he made it all about himself. :lol:

And who wants a President that takes the lazy way out when it comes to things like losing weight?

Instead of having self control about what you eat, and I don't know....ummmm actually getting out there to exercise lets get gastric bypass surgery instead.