Young fans compared to older fans...

One reason I like M-Nation is there is a good balance between older fans like me, (I'm 37yo) and younger fans in their 20's...

I'm curious to hear what its like to discover a whole body of work prior to becoming a fan; music, concerts, movies, etc.

I've been a fan since I was 8yo and Lucky Star was on the radio, so its almost impossible for me to remember those earlier hits with

an objective point of view; my first impression is so etched into my brain, it's like Gospel at this point. LOL.

for example:

I can't hear Lucky Star without doing the video choreography (as my 8yo self) in my head,

When the Papa Don't Preach video world premeired on MTV, my mom made us watch as a family because she found it to be an important

"message" song and video. That's most likely because she was 3 months pregnant w/ my older brother when she married my dad...the day after high school graduation.

If i see the Like A Prayer video, the first time I saw it was right after the premiere on a Sunday morning before the family went to church. No joke!

I remember my jaw was on the floor, and neither one of my parents were able to talk to me because they were so shocked.

So those memories kinda take over the whole experience of revisiting.

Sorry if this is a dumb topic, I'm just curious.

Guest Rachelle of London

Ok well I was born in 91 and was very lucky to have a Mum who was a massive fan of M already! So I've always been a fan or been around her music! Lookin back at her 80s career I wish that I was alive or old enough to remember. Its weird though cos some of my fave songs or videos came out before I was even born

Ok well I was born in 91 and was very lucky to have a Mum who was a massive fan of M already! So I've always been a fan or been around her music! Lookin back at her 80s career I wish that I was alive or old enough to remember. Its weird though cos some of my fave songs or videos came out before I was even born

I understand that. I'm a big fan of some of my Dad's music tastes; Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Patti Smith, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

my sister is 30, and her first memory for her entire life is sitting on my dad's lap when she was 2, watching the Like A Virgin video. LOL.

I'm glad your mom has good taste, cuz I like reading your point of view :-)

Madryan, this is a great topic. I think that a lot as well. I have been a Madonna fan since a child and she has always been my idol. I love that this forum has so many fans of different ages and everyone seems to respect each other. It would be interesting to hear how the really young people on the forum discovered Madonna. It is wonderful to actually know that she still attracts so many incredible young people as fans.

Older M fans are more stubborn they are less receptive to change in other words they are "stuck" in the past. Younger M fan's or Stans are more in the now and what her to compete with the new pop singers. Just go to forums like Atrl (awful website) and you'll see what i mean.

Older M fans are more stubborn they are less receptive to change in other words they are "stuck" in the past.

um...no.

Older M fans are more stubborn they are less receptive to change in other words they are "stuck" in the past. Younger M fan's or Stans are more in the now and what her to compete with the new pop singers. Just go to forums like Atrl (awful website) and you'll see what i mean.

Some maybe, but I don't think around here that statement's true.

Well I was born in '88 and have been a fan since I was 11. I remember exactly how I became a fan and it was with the ROL video, my sister was watching TV and it was on and it totally blew my mind, I asked my sister who that woman was, she said Madonna and by that time I was a huge Britney fan and I remembered Britney mentioned Madonna in every interview. So I decided to start my investigation on M and eventually I removed all my Britney posters and replaced them with Madonna posters (which I still have)! My mom had the ROL cd which i took from her room and fell in love with it, and well I've been a fan since then.

I absolutely love her old stuffs so I'm really jealous of the older fans who have been following her since the beginning, or who got to enjoy all the 80s and 90s era.

Um... Yeah. Just remember the meltdowns when she collaborated with Justin,Pharrell, Nicki minaj etc They are stuck they don't understand when she wants to try something new.

um.. I'm 46 and I have no problem with those collaborations. And if I remember correctly the meltdows came from the young-uns!

Same situation for me except I was born 3 years later than you lol

I was born in '84, and became a fan during ROL. I wasn't aware of Madonna before Frozen, really. I mean, I knew she was someone, an important artist, just like Michael, but she was off my radar honestly.. I had no idea what songs she sang or what kind of music she did. Until the day I saw the Frozen video on MTV. I can still remember how fascinated I was by it: the song, the haunting video....

Then I bought the ROL album, but it wasn't until Music that I really got hooked on into the universe of Madonna: I started buying her old albums, but I remember thinking not much of it was something I would listen to (never been a big fan of her 80s stuff).

I was born in '84 so I guess I'm kind of stuck in the middle. While the early Madonna is also ingrained in my brain like gospel, my formative years were spent listening to ROL, Music, AL. I think that's pretty awesome! I always followed Madge quite a bit and bought all her albums (my mom bought all of them until Erotica and then I would and we would share them), but I didn't get INTO HER until I saw the DWT on HBO one Saturday night, by complete chance.

And I didn't become CRAZY about her until I saw her in the flesh during the Confessions tour.

I've discovered her work prior to LAP (music and otherwise) in bits and pieces since then. For example, I never really cared to listen to the non-singles from LAV or TB until recently. I've never seen an entire movie of hers, except for A League of their Own, and I've never seen the LAV tour in full!

i noticed a lot of older fans are obsessed with 80s madonna which is fine but i prefer 90s>00s>80s.. not sure about other younger fans.

There is nothing like 90s Madonna. The transformation from LAV/Erotica to STR/ROL is unparalleled in the history of pop, and will be Gospel forevermore.

Um... Yeah. Just remember the meltdowns when she collaborated with Justin,Pharrell, Nicki minaj etc They are stuck they don't understand when she wants to try something new.
um.. I'm 46 and I have no problem with those collaborations. And if I remember correctly the meltdows came from the young-uns!

Yep! I remember the shit hitting the fan with a lot of younger fans, but I assumed it was because of the whole "bandwagon" thing.

Don't get me wrong, I do love some 80's Madonna, I've just always been more into what she's doing currently. If I want to listen to something older its typically Erotica or Bedtime Stories,

and I learned a long time ago that she isn't going to settle on a "sound" and stick with it.

Yep! I remember the shit hitting the fan with a lot of younger fans, but I assumed it was because of the whole "bandwagon" thing.

Don't get me wrong, I do love some 80's Madonna, I've just always been more into what she's doing currently. If I want to listen to something older its typically Erotica or Bedtime Stories,

and I learned a long time ago that she isn't going to settle on a "sound" and stick with it.

I think it caused quite a stir among young fans because of the musical place Madonna was in when we, the younger ones, became fans. The holy trinity (a.k.a. ROL/Music/AL) it's a very interesting and different path in Madonna's music career, and then some of the stuff she did afterwards with Confessions, Hard Candy and then MDNA came as a shock. For older fans, this was nothing, because Madonna changes constantly, but as a younger fan I can tell you it took me quite a while to digest the albums post-AL.

Im 20 , but M has been in my life since i was a child , i remeber going to first grade listening to the MUSIC album , then really liking American life the song

And when confessions came out i fell in love

The moment i fell in love was with the Sorry video , it aired in a Brazilian TV show and she was just amazing for my 13/14 yo brain

And knowing and accepting that my friend is the Key to being a good Madonna fan and enjoying her music.

Well I think you could count me as a Ray of Lighter... I was a fan before, I remember vividly my cousin listening to PDP non stop. And the shock of watching her on the LAP video... and the scandal of the LAV performance in BAT. I had some moments with her through the time (Secret, You'll See, Human Nature) and she was always there, already a part of my reality, like milk, or the sun. I like that, because I canot remember a time where there was no Madonna, she's always been there.

But it was with ROL when I became crazy for her and rediscovered her whole discography and tours.

Im 20 , but M has been in my life since i was a child , i remeber going to first grade listening to the MUSIC album , then really liking American life the song

And when confessions came out i fell in love

The moment i fell in love was with the Sorry video , it aired in a Brazilian TV show and she was just amazing for my 13/14 yo brain

Kinda reminiscent of my fandom story. :D

I'm 20, like you. My first Madonna memory goes back to 1998 when I listened Frozen on the radio. I loved that song and my dad told me it's by Madonna. But I never heard of her before and nobody in my family was really into her, so I didn't know who that was. I also remember watching Music and Don't Tell Me on television and then getting Confessions On A Dancefloor album on christmas because I loved Hung Up LOL, but I didn't discovered her magic until we had to sing La Isla Bonita in school. I remembered that beautiful song and wanted more and came across Human Nature and Who's That Girl - really liked both songs. But I became really obsessed with her when I found out that she wrote Like a Prayer. Eventually I bought The Immaculate Collection and then started to collect her albums. Discovering her 80s and 90s stuff and her impact in music history was and is still so exciting.

I'm 21... I was always kind of aware of Madonna, I have memories of MG and Frozen and ROL on tv, and my dad was... not a fan but he has a couple of her albums. I first became interested because my brother was watching I'm Going to Tell You a Secret on tv one night, and I was really impressed, downloaded a couple of songs, and then Hung Up happened and I loved that, but I didn't really get into her back catalogue until Hard Candy, and then I downloaded a new album a month and learnt about the accompanying tour and the album and era with it. But then I didn't go into full loon mode until last year. It's been a long slow descent for me.

I've always loved learning about older music and just downloading whole discographies of established artists in one go to try and understand why they're so famous, so it kind of started like that. But then I realised M is a lot more than music, she combines a very forceful outward persona with a lot of emotional honesty that you only have to learn to recognise, and she is so intelligent it's just incredibly easy to admire her.

Sorry, but that's rubbish. I'm on of the older M fans and I wouldn't say I was stubborn or less receptive to change or stuck in the past. So cheers for that. :manson:

I was born in 1985 and Madonna has always been welcome in my household. My Mum owed the True Blue album because she loved Live To Tell, and my older sister had the Like a Virgin album and used to dress like M with the jelly bracelets and all that stuff. But I never knew much about Madonna herself and my first real "experience" came from watching the Frozen video. It was newly released and me and my sister were standing in a Blockbuster video store when it came on the television. We both stood there in awe. I bought Ray of Light, Music, and GHV2 over the next few years but I never explored beyond that. I was going through a really shit time and music just faded out of my life in general.

Her performance at Live 8 blew me away and I downloaded the Like a Prayer song, because I just loved it so much. But that was it.

In 2011, I saw a copy of Celebration in my local library, so I decided to check it out. I was so surprised that songs like Into The Groove belonged to M, because I honestly had no idea. The variety in her music just blew me away and I finally became a "loon". I've since bought her entire back catalogue and reading this forum has become a daily ritual. Following the MDNA era has been so much fun. Honestly, the length and scope of Madonna's career is just overwhelming. I can't believe she's been at it for thirty years. But what really puts me in awe is watching her live performances: skipping from Vogue at The Girlie Show through to the MDNA version really brings home just how incredible she is.

You ask how "new" fans feel about M? Well, I always wonder how the fans who were there at the beginning must feel. Did you honestly think she'd still be going strong in thirty years? What was it like seeing the Like a Prayer video for the first time? Or hearing the change in her voice for Ray of Light? Exploding from a disco ball? I'm really quite jealous that you've watched it all play out era by era. :p

You ask how "new" fans feel about M? Well, I always wonder how the fans who were there at the beginning must feel. Did you honestly think she'd still be going strong in thirty years? What was it like seeing the Like a Prayer video for the first time? Or hearing the change in her voice for Ray of Light? Exploding from a disco ball? I'm really quite jealous that you've watched it all play out era by era. :p

:order:

Sorry, but that's rubbish. I'm on of the older M fans and I wouldn't say I was stubborn or less receptive to change or stuck in the past. So cheers for that. :manson:

Same here. I think that the "older" Madonna fans that post on this forum are mainly very accepting of Madonna's changing music and image. If we were stuck in the past, we would not bother still following Madonna. I love just about everything she has released and love the fact that she does not rest on her laurels. Although I adore the memories of Madonna in the 80's because I feel that decade was the happiest time of my life, I am grateful that she has always changed her sound and image. Madonna has always claimed she lives for the present and thank goodness for that.

I'm 29 (is that a 'middle-aged' fan?) and I'm a lot more critical of her new things when it's shit than alot of the fans who are much older than me.

I'm not sure why you'd want to be a fan of someone of Madonna's vintage, someone with her intelligence and musicality, if you wanted her to do shit repetitive 'music' like Rihanna and Gaga. Why not just be a fan of one of those 'artists'? Asking Madonna to be like them is like putting a heap of sugar and CO2 bubbles in a fine vintage wine to make it compete with Pepsi.