Breaking News: Swept Away available at Dollar Tree for $1

kingvirtue

I never thought it was that bad. It's certainly nothing special. But it's no where near as bad as the criticism it received compared to a lot of movies that went to see that were out at the same time. I kinda feel the same with WE, thought I'd never recommend it to anyone, it's not terrible film.

Guest bluejean

But did they correct the mistakes?

:lmao:

I actually didn't mind this movie, her acting is truly terrible in parts of it though. I really enjoyed the making of doco.

i thought it was cute, and I never got the ending. did amber's hubby lie and she never got to read pepe's message? and why did the young man tell pepe it was a note from the "señora" when we never saw she read it? or she did read it and choose for her hubby after all? i was never certain of that one. but i hated it. but I know a happy ending wouldnt have worked either.

i saw the original one time and I can see why it got so much praise, but it's not as charming in some sort of kitsch-so bad it gets good and comical- sort of way. I thought the original was a bit too serious. and Im not too found of the two actors either.

Guest bluejean
I never got the ending. did amber's hubby lie and she never got to read pepe's message? and why did the young man tell pepe it was a note from the "señora" when we never saw she read it? or she did read it and choose for her hubby after all? i was never certain of that one

I can't really remember it that well but I think the idea was that she chose the husband didn't she? Would have to watch it again but I don't know if I could be bothered :lol:

Guy always made her look old on screen

I don't think that's intentional, I think she just looked really old at that time. Just watch the Drowned World tour and she looks equally as bad. Pretty sure it was this movie that inspired a) her quitting acting and b) her starting fillers/botox/surgery etc.

Even after seeing SA fairly soon after it's release (it WAS on DVD like 3 months later...lol), I didn't think it warranted the criticism it got. TNBT didn't get the shit this movie got and it's FAR worse. The acting is a bit ridiculous and OTT at times and Madonna does look a bit old at times. I have to say I always thought that was intentional too, the "harshness" of her look helped in the beginning when Amber was a raging bitch and it helped in the end when she was worn and defeated, stranded on the island. Having Amber look "soft" and pretty wouldn't have worked. This is often times considered her worst movie, but I can actually get through this one unlike Shanghai Surprise or even Dangerous Game (which she is REALLY good in). I think I've watched this more than what is considered her crowning moment as an actress (Evita). :sneaky:

@Nikki....I've always thought Amber never read the note. The husband saw it, didn't tell Amber about it but responded to it as if he were her and turned down Pepe's proposition. So Pepe thought Amber denied him, meanwhile Amber thought Pepe pretty much forgot about her and let her leave. That's what makes it so sad! They both thought the other had basically "dissed" them, yet they were both crying and in tears because they couldn't be with each other. At least that's always been my interpretation of events.

Even after seeing SA fairly soon after it's release (it WAS on DVD like 3 months later...lol), I didn't think it warranted the criticism it got. TNBT didn't get the shit this movie got and it's FAR worse. The acting is a bit ridiculous and OTT at times and Madonna does look a bit old at times. I have to say I always thought that was intentional too, the "harshness" of her look helped in the beginning when Amber was a raging bitch and it helped in the end when she was worn and defeated, stranded on the island. Having Amber look "soft" and pretty wouldn't have worked. This is often times considered her worst movie, but I can actually get through this one unlike Shanghai Surprise or even Dangerous Game (which she is REALLY good in). I think I've watched this more than what is considered her crowning moment as an actress (Evita). :sneaky:/>

@Nikki....I've always thought Amber never read the note. The husband saw it, didn't tell Amber about it but responded to it as if he were her and turned down Pepe's proposition. So Pepe thought Amber denied him, meanwhile Amber thought Pepe pretty much forgot about her and let her leave. That's what makes it so sad! They both thought the other had basically "dissed" them, yet they were both crying and in tears because they couldn't be with each other. At least that's always been my interpretation of events.

yes that's exactly how i thought it was! which made it all even sadder, because she thought he didn't want her anymore, while he thought she choose for the money.. :/ but i never got why the young man who gave pepe the note said it was from amber and not from the husband even after pepe asked to be sure. i know it's fiction but it always bothered me ;)

yes that's exactly how i thought it was! which made it all even sadder, because she thought he didn't want her anymore, while he thought she choose for the money.. :/ but i never got why the young man who gave pepe the note said it was from amber and not from the husband even after pepe asked to be sure. i know it's fiction but it always bothered me ;)

I think it was because Amber's husband paid the young man to tell Pepe the note was from her.

It's not that bad. The ending is actually very sad.

I agree. Sure, it is no cinematic masterpiece, it never set out to be, but it was fun and effective. I have shown friends, all of whom enjoyed it and even cried at the end. If anything, the only aspect they disliked was that there wasn't a happy ending. I think had Guy and M collaborated on an original script instead of a remake, the response would have been a bit kinder....granted, the critics were set to annihilate anything the couple did regardless.

TNBT is her worst. Shanghai Surprise is hard to get through as well.

The ending to Swept Away is kinda sad though.

Agreed. TNBT is like a crummy Hallmark or Lifetime movie. Blah....it is so depressing that this crap was what she chose to make after the epic Evita. I guess she figured she was now accepted as an actress and it was time to spit out some rom-coms.....

Guest bluejean

She's just not a very good actress, that's what it comes down to. She has done some good roles with specific directors but overall she's not very good and I think all the criticism made her more self conscious. That's why she's so wooden in some of these later roles imo.

Even movies like Who's That Girl she was just more relaxed and had more fun with it. Swept Away, her acting was particularly bad imo and I think it was the worst thing about the movie (from memory.)

She looked horrifyingly old and awful in this movie and that leads many people to really not like her at all and judged her by her appearance, thin muscle body and bad acting.

TNBT is her worst. Shanghai Surprise is hard to get through as well.

The ending to Swept Away is kinda sad though.

You mean right before the credits roll? That infamous 'ring sinking to the ocean floor as Madonna longingly peers from the helicopter crying' scene is Madonna finest moment as an actress. Eva Peron has nothing on Amber Leighton. Nothing,