Why is MADONNA always the butt of 'old' jokes?

mtzlplk

Why do they always pick on her? There are Divas older than her, Tina, Babs and Cher... There are certainly lots of Divas who are now well over 40s yet are still not being joked about as old like J.Lo, Janet, Mariah, Celine... MADONNA is not even out of shape and moves and looks younger than her age...

Guest Not4Pussies

That's true. They do make fun of Cher and Barbra but not as much as Madonna. I feel when they make fun of Cher and Babs its more cheesy and campy and when it comes to making fun of M, its more vindictive and spiteful. No one makes fun of Tina. They always make fun of M for her age cause she is the only one who is truly out there kicking ass, pushing buttons and doing what a woman her age is not supposed to. I know she's 54, but to me she is ageless. She doesn't look her age in my eyes. Then again I only have loving eyes for my main bitch.

There is a difference being an hasbeen from the 80s or 90s that nobody really cares and a hard working popstar who keeps delivering and breaking new records in the industry consistently since the early 80s. Madonna has been in the music scene for 30+ years without ever stop. Those other "divas" didn't keep on track with the youth as much as Madonna did and still does. Madonna has been part of this game since most of us weren't even born. For the majority of the music press she has been doing her thing forever without showing any signal of slowing down. Madonna is like a big dinossaur in the music industry and still provokes strong reactions. Those other singers are not even close of her presence in the music scene.

they cant forgive her hers success. she is not just a singer as tina. she doesent have talents that others used to think are the most important. they cant listen preaching, political or even kabalistic wisdom from someone who should stay just a popy floppy one season singer...

and ofcours the last but not unimportant - they all wanna fuck her

A lot of it has to do with her image. If she were dressing/behaving the way she did during the Evita/ROL era, I don't think there'd be anywhere near as much talk about her age or jokes about her being "old." I noticed these jokes started in earnest around the time of the Britney duet, which, let's face it, was the moment she freaked out and started trying to sound/look younger. The fact is that she DOES sound/look younger than her age, and has for a while now, but the image is a huge reason IMO.

Let's face it, they have been trying to trash Madonna since she first appeared on the scene. I always thought that by this time of her life and career, the critics would accept defeat and simply acknowledge the incredible way she is still the biggest female superstar on the planet. But no, now they just harp on about her age. The most comical thing is that she looks better and definitely performs better than women half her age. Cher, Barbara, Tina and Aretha are all legends older than Madonna who never cop that much abuse about their age (nor should they) but as Nessie pointed out, they are not out there still performing on huge tours and having the biggest selling tour of the year. Pure jealously and nastiness from the bitter no-talents out there.

Like I said in another thread. Madonna has been called "old" ever since she was closing in on 30. I was just a kid but I am sure when she was up against the likes of Tiffany and Debbie for a second she was considered the old cow on the block. And forget about it. Once she hit 40 the flood gates of insults about her being "old" burst right open. We should be used to this by now.

Lets be real. Madonna is FAR from old. Just look at the amount of energy she has and how in shape she is. Gaga who was supposed to take the crown is already calling off tours because she has arthritis. Britney before her couldnt keep up. As well as everyone else that came before them. Madonna keeps on going full force and it KILLS people.

One day she will be old. It is going to happen. She will be a wrinkled old grandma who can no longer bust a dance move without breaking a hip, but she is FAR from that point yet.

THIS lady is OLD!

old_lady.jpg

But then again its all relative. I can recall watching Madonna's pajama party for her Bedtime Story video premire when I was a kid. I was about 10 or 11 at the time. I remember thinking man, Madonna is in her mid 30s, and being depressed about it thinking she was getting up there in age. :lol: I was an ignorant kid. What the hell did I know?

I just love how other fanbases out there though bashed the shit out of Madonna for being old when she hit 40 and now that people like Janet and Mariah are in their 40s, suddenly thats no longer an old age to them. :lol:

Why do they always pick on her? There are Divas older than her, Tina, Babs and Cher... There are certainly lots of Divas who are now well over 40s yet are still not being joked about as old like J.Lo, Janet, Mariah, Celine... MADONNA is not even out of shape and moves and looks younger than her age...

Which one gets to the front page?

M.A.D.O.N.N.A.

or

Tina, Babs and Cher etc

I do have to say times are changing though.

Just look at Cher when she did the video for Believe in her 50s. She was covered from head to toe, hardly moved and was placed in a glass cube while the younger club kids had the most screen time dancing around her.

Compare that to Madonna in her 50s with Girl Gone Wild...

Its like night and day in terms of how Cher presented herself in her 50s and how Madonna is presenting herself now.

First time I remember Madonna was called old was in 1991 when a a close up pic from Naomi Campbell birthday party where she was making a face and was looking old emerged. Since then she has always been called old.

It also happens with Mick Jagger, I often hear people refer to his age. Is it just that society is so youth obsessed that we just don't know what to do with someone like Madonna ( no pigeon hole to slot her into)

That's why we need intelligent shows like the golden girls ( instead of the shit that is produced today) to continue breaking stereotypes.

I just love how other fanbases out there though bashed the shit out of Madonna for being old when she hit 40 and now that people like Janet and Mariah are in their 40s, suddenly thats no longer an old age to them. :lol:

Precisely. Just like then, Madonna is still paving the way for future stars, she's taking the rocks so they won't be called old in their fifties.

yeah, but Janet, Mariah and J.Lo are now in their 40s, yet they are off the radar of being referred to as an oldster... well i guess it is because picking on MADONNA would get more media coverage that's why... and as long as MADONNA is very active in the industry DIVAs younger than her will forever be young...

I just hope the women who are popgirls now won't get praised for what M gets criticised for in some years. it always seems to happen and even though it's good that she's really pushing boundaries, it's also kinda shitty for her & the fans cuz she never gets the respect for it.

From day one Madonna has had her haters, because she has never taken any shit, has always proved the naysayers wrong and is the master of her own destiny. She has never been a victim and never really played the weak female role. Some women hate that, lots of men hate it as well. They will attack her for anything they can, and age is the most obvious these days.

I find it sad when women attack her for her age. To me she is a role model for women. She is hard working, top of her game and always holds her own despite the attacks from all sides.

There is always a degree of sexism in the attacks, and sadly a lot of it from women. I do find, controversially, in a lot life, that women are sometimes a lot more sexist against other women than a lot of men.

But to answer the question:

because the media found something they can "hurt" her without needing to justify it.

It's the easiest and lowest form of "shade". and the worst thing is that most people don't see the harm in it, they actually think it's acceptable. They can't see that ageism is discrimination and walks hand in hand with labelling people as less worthy or respectable because they're gay, black, ugly, or fat.

The jokes are of course meant to be taken as less serious, but when every joke is only about her age, it becomes repetitive. And you can bet those same people don't have the guts to be racist or homophobic "just for a good joke", even though it's also discrimination and probably just as bad.

Madonna gets picked on because she's still more connected to younger audiences than Streisand, Tina Turner et al are. She's not a nostalgia act. Moreover, M goes against the norm by dressing & acting in a way that is considered 'inappropriate' for women her age so that makes her an easy target, would she wear gowns and sing Celine Dion-style ballads, I doubt she'd get the comments she gets.

She's always been a rebel, she's always gone against what is considered the norm

(I just wish she'd stop with the cringey gangsta-style bandana over mouth Kaballist 'love & light revolution' stuff - but that's annother story :lol:)

I just wanted to add that the people posting here do the exact same thing with other older female artists. How many times have I read "she's old & irrelevant" in other 'divas' topics on this very forum ...? So think about why you apply that and you can answer your own question

- It's used as an insult, just like 'faggot'

First time I remember Madonna was called old was in 1991 when a a close up pic from Naomi Campbell birthday party where she was making a face and was looking old emerged. Since then she has always been called old.

I remember that picture, in Smash hits!

She dresses like a slut & fucks twenty year olds...that's the main issue really.

Exactly. She's not following the unwritten rules imposed on older women. Madonna went from the rebellious big sister to the fun, slutty, favorite Aunt you see on special occasions :wow:

Because she's having her cake and eating it too, and most people can't stand that. She's a woman in her 50s that looks amazing and is still a force of nature. The "normal" thing to do is to let yourself go, step back, and concede to your age. Being a victim also helps. She hasn't done any of that. It is not that path she's taken, and defying this convention really irritates people, so they make unintelligent, unfunny jabs to put her in the place they want her in, and at the same time make themselves feel better about their miserable existence.